ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chokes?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:49 pm 
Field Grade

Wondering does everyone shoot after mkt chokes rather than the manufacturers? Also, how did you decide on the brand? Everyone seems to claim to be the best. At this point in my shooting I don’t think I would have a clue after shooting various chokes/brands which is “better”

Apologies if this has been discussed in depth in the past but I couldn’t find anything.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Chokes?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes and no.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:34 am 
Presentation Grade

I would just shoot the manufacturer's chokes and not worry about it. If you want to truly put in the work to pattern your gun and your favorite shell with various choke brands, then do it. If you don't do that, you are just guessing based on feel.

NSCA#633193
Kolar Max Lite Sporting (x2)
CSMC RBL Sporting
Ithaca M37
Beretta AL391 Urika 2 (x4)
Beretta A400 Xtreme

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

All chokes are about the same. It is just what you might like the looks of.

Most chokes work different in different guns.

If you want to buy different chokes always get the extended chokes.

It makes it easy to see what choke you have in the barrel.

Extended chokes also protect the barrel incase you should drop the gun.

Extended chokes look cool. :lol:

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:32 am 
Crown Grade

I shoot OEM chokes. The only time I buy afterrmarket chokes is when a gun comes with flush chokes and I want extended chokes for the convenience. I like to give my chokes a twist as I step into the box to make sure they're tight and that's much easier with extended chokes.

As long as you know (though patterning and/or use) what a certain choke is doing, you're not going to find another choke that does the same thing any better.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:04 am 
Crown Grade

I buy aftermarket if it is one that OEM doesn't make or supply usually a LM in my case.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Chokes are super LOW tech. Pattern your OEM chokes and if they are OK , go have fun and spend that extra $$$ on shells and target fees.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:24 am 
Crown Grade

I've always been pretty much a 3 (times 2)choke guy -- one for close, one for medium, and one for far. I end up using LM for 75 to 80% of my shots, depending on how tough the course is that day. For FITASC, I'm pretty much a Modified choke guy all the time, unless it's a soft course, then I may put it LM.

I like after market extended tubes, usually the lighter weight titanium ones (EXtreme is my favorite, and I also like those expensive Briley titanium ones with the gnarled ends).

I believe though that chokes play another important function in that most shooters have come to the conclusion that it's very beneficial to find a gun you like, and stick with it. You don't see shooters changing guns as often and we did 20/25 years ago.

But there's still this need for shooters to "change something", and using different brands and types of chokes WITH THE SAME GUN takes care of the fix many of us have without changing guns.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What's a choke?

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:06 am 
Crown Grade

I try to keep things simple. 5 chokes will cover most all clay games, (in an O/U). There's much more to think about when breaking targets, than choke changing/selection.

:arrow: ...I prefer:
:arrow: ...skeet/skeet for skeet
:arrow: ...mod/mod for sporting & 5 stand
:arrow: ...full for trap singles & cap
:arrow: ...mod/full for trap doubles & wobble
:arrow: ...mod/full for occasional FITASC

I def prefer extended, my brands of choice are Extremes & Muller SS. Why ? Because they give me the most confidence, despite how they "pattern", which by the way, I rarely do.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

My used 391 came with Angleport chokes. I could tell right away from the breaks they patterned nice and tight, which I guess I like since I've never felt the need to replace them. A buddy of mine gave me a Briley Titanium IM and F. I can't really tell the difference in the breaks. I would only be concerned with chokes if they're throwing holes or if you can feel the difference in balance between a pair of stainless chokes and titanium and prefer one or the other.

Cylinder chokes and 9's

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:31 am 
Presentation Grade

I use Briley X2 chokes in: SK, IC, LM, MOD & LF(IM ?). IMO Extended are a bit easier to replace. Though I seem to only use IC/IC in my 682 90% of the time. But I'm just a 64 year old 'E' Class shooter! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:37 am 
Crown Grade

Yildiz doesn't offer extended chokes, but Trulock has them for Yildiz guns in a stainless sporting clays model. They are gorgeous and inexpensive, about $38 each for 12 ga. So my choice of Trulock chokes is based on availability, appearance, and price. I'm confident that performance is not an issue with such a popular brand.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:19 am 
Crown Grade

rpenmanparker wrote:
Yildiz doesn't offer extended chokes, but Trulock has them for Yildiz guns in a stainless sporting clays model. They are gorgeous and inexpensive, about $38 each for 12 ga. So my choice of Trulock chokes is based on availability, appearance, and price. I'm confident that performance is not an issue with such a popular brand.

$38, yikes pricy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:48 am 
Crown Grade

blackandgold wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:

$38, yikes pricy.

Compared to the OEMs, yes. Other gun brands? Not so much.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:33 pm 
Crown Grade

blackandgold wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:

$38, yikes pricy.

You haven't priced Pure Gold, Briley, Extreme, Mueller or any of the other high priced brands.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:02 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
blackandgold wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:

$38, yikes pricy.

You haven't priced Pure Gold, Briley, Extreme, Mueller or any of the other high priced brands.

I always figured if you shoot well enough someone is gonna hand you a gun, choke tubes, vest etc.