ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First time SC...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

Got 62 of the elusive orange - backed clays (62/100) today at SGW's Dominant Predator shoot at Elm Fork.

I'd never shot SC before... shot 5-stand once but that was about a year ago. I'm very impressed with the score, different presentations and the overall SC 'feel'. It is, I guess more like golf. Relaxing, good views and lots of fun.

Your SC course may be different but there was not one single clay I couldn't break with my AnglePort Cobra spreaders. I tried M/IC but gave up on that idea real fast. It's quite possible a different setup would want me having a spreader and one improved tube, so chalk up an IC extended choke on the list of 'to get' from today.

Today's firsts also included busting a rabbit. Wow. Wascally wabbits in my pot! Got quite a few - you think they're easy till one hops about 2-3 feet in the door.

Thanks to all the organizers, SGW staff and sponsors for making mine one heck of a day!

Post subject: Re: First time SC...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Remember a lot of those targets are further than they appear.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

Was it an NSCA shoot or a fun shoot?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:37 am 
Diamond Grade

I was impressed with the scoreING, not my score, lol. It was a fun shoot.

I know I lost a few birds because gun swing plus a moving bird told me I should put lead on it like a skeet target but in reality they weren't going that fast. Others 'fooled' me until I figured otu the easiest way to kill them was to wait for a certain presentation or distance, even it it was further away. One pair was thrown that flies in a convex arc, left to right about 20 yards ahead of you. I figured I'd wait till they got close, but after calling pull and realizing that at one point they're heading directly for you I shot them like trap targets and smoked 7/8 at that station.

Automatic safety cost me a rabbit but I was able to get the second of the report pair. I'm hopeful that's my last automatic safety loss of the year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:22 pm 
Crown Grade

javven: My wife and I are coming to the AnglePort Open in 2 weekends.It's at Elm Fork.Why don't you sign up and shoot--I'd be happy to have you in my squad??

I met Scott Robertson this weekend at a shoot in Louisiana and I have never shot at his facility , so we are really looking forward to it.He seemed like a nice guy and he surely can shoot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

Wow, thanks for the invitation. It looks like I will be able to go. I doubt I can shoot competitvely but that's the great thing about it. I don't really care :)

I think the course was set to 'easy' for us. We were shooting report pairs closer in vs. the true pairs further out. However, if engaged in the proper order I think they're all doable. Big change from Saturday AM when I was pretty sure I was going to wipe out.

I'm going to try to get a few boxes of Federal Paper Targets between now and then. I'm an old trapshooter so... they're kind of a personal favorite.

See you at the range. I'm always in a dark green vest. That'll be me with the bbl-weighted beretta.