ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I shot my first 50 in Sporting Clays.....
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:51 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

out of a 100... :lol:

Well, it's only my third time shooting it, I'm loving this!
I am looking for a local SCA group closeby. My name is Thomas, and I'm a Sporting clays junkie-

:D

Post subject: Re: I shot my first 50 in Sporting Clays.....
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:22 am 
Limited Edition

thomasartbutler wrote:
. My name is Thomas, and I'm a Sporting clays junkie-

:D

I hate to break the news to you Thomas, but
there is no current 10 step program to assist in breaking
your addiction. The best you can hope for is group support :lol: :lol:

"...the wisest prophets make sure of the event first." - Horace Wapole

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:32 pm 

Thats awesome Thomas :)

We are all addicted to this sport, I shot 300rds through my shotgun at the SC course yesterday and my shoulder is killing me and all I am thinking about is when I get to go again.

It's a sickness.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Thomas--I was at a shoot this weekend and saw a guy shoot a 50/50 on a prelim course--of course, it was Bobby Fowler.

I shot in several events--never won a dime, a punch, nor a trophy but I can NOT wait til I get to shoot again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

Aren’t those guys just awesome Sera.

I know how you feel, I shot a tournament yesterday and shot terrible, but it gave me room for improvement. I got a lesson lined up with Carlisle on the 16th. The best motivator is poor shooting. I love this game. There is a busy tournament season ahead of me and I can’t wait to see all those crazy targets they throw for us.

Mike Russo told me something that made me think. After a bad performance at a shoot, just remember, as long as you have a little cash left in your pocket, there is another tournament right around the corner.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Corey Kruse(sp?) beat Bobby in the main by 2 targets and shot the last 6 stations w/ a borrowed gun and straighted them.

These guys are like watching some one from an alien universe--they are otherworldly.

I shot like a stinkin bum--can't wait til this weekend for the 2d round of the Texas challenge--I have the fever bad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Chris:Everyone around here says Carlisle is the best of the best.I have taken from several people, including Bobby, and would love to compare Dan's style, just never had the chance to coordinate w/ him.

Last shoot, I did really well but this weekend's one was a roller coaster.I broke a lot of the hardest targets but dutched my score by missing some of the easier ones.I just could not get my head out of my butt.On one station I ran a 50 yd rabbit and on the next one dropped 2 incomers....AHHHH.There was a 60 yd midi on one station that I broke once(maybe a 12 ft lead?), Bobby ran it.He's the real thing and I'm a wannabe--but I am not stopping.NEVER.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

Cruse’s gold musta died eh? I figured he would have fleet of backup guns by now. He is awesome as well. And a fine practioner of the Carlisle method. I took a lesson from him last year in May and it helped me tremendously. I was picking up punches right and left. Even took HOA in the prelim at our State Championship. But then I slowly gave up targets a little at a time. Now I’m struggling to finish with some dignity. I wish I could take more lessons from him, but he only shows up about twice a year in my neck of the woods. I highly recommend him to anyone looking to move up in class. He has a proven track record.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:46 am 
Limited Edition

What's an HOA?

I don't know much about competing in sc's, but seems
to me if you finish, versus just quitting, you can retain
your dignity no matter what you're score :)

"...the wisest prophets make sure of the event first." - Horace Wapole

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:04 am 
Diamond Grade

High Over All.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:46 am 
Crown Grade

Cory's Gold gave up the ghost. He was out of back-up guns at that point.

He has given lessons to several of my friends and they like him.

Carlisle is supposed to be in Beaumont soon and some friends from those parts are trying to put together a group lesson.Frankly, I never get too much from a group lesson but it may be my only chance for a while to take from Dan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:29 am 
Diamond Grade

When taking a lesson from Dan, I recommend the following. Start by taking a good dose of Ibuprofen or Advil. Set it up with another guy of similar skill level. Bring as many shells as you can pile onto a cart. Be ready to shoot as soon as the cart begins to slow down. Screw in your tightest chokes (he really loves dust clouds). And quickly reload. If you don’t, you will find his hand reaching into your pouch and loading for you. I’m serious, the guy is absolutely intense. But he is determined to help you shoot better. Trust what he is telling you. By the end of your lesson, it will feel like you are cheating. He makes it that easy. If you can perfect his method anything inside 30 yards is dead, no matter the angle. That is no joke. When I was really feeling it, I was in the upper 80’s and low 90’s on most days. I won the state prelim with a 94 in A class with the next closest master shooter shooting a 90.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Chris: WOW.

That is the way I feel after shooting w/ Bobby.The 1st time we shot together, I had just punched into AA and my 1st shoot in AA I won that class in the main and 5 stand(Bobby was RU in the main and 1st in 5 stand w/ a 49/50).The next time I won my 1st ever punch in FITASC.

I have a friend in Beaumont who's organizing the Carlisle thing and he and I are very close in ability--so I will suggest what you say.

I am very loyal to Bobby but I also like to get what others have to offer.