ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this true?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:25 pm 
Limited Edition

I have been reading one or two articles on Sporting shoots in the USA and the writer mentioned that some shooters ask for there money back if they are unable to hit the clays on various stands.
I would have thought it better to say nothing and learn how to shoot a difficult presentation rather than admit defeat. :?

Post subject: Re: Is this true?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:38 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I find that extremely unlikely, in either case. Where was this supposed to happen?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:38 pm 
Regional Reporter

hmm, i have never heard of that, but i really wouldnt be surprised, i have seen some REAL big idiots on the course. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:48 pm 
Limited Edition

An article was written by Wendell Cherry in ClayShootingUSA magazine, when he visited England, to shoot at different shooting clubs to find out the different presentations of clays compared to what is shot in the U.S.
He mentioned that if lower class shooters "zipped" a station in the U.K. they did not ask for their money back.
I just wondered if it did happen over there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Asking for money back: maybe someone did or does that. I have probably shot with some people that arrogant.

Actually getting the money back: No way, no how, but I bet everybody had a really nice laugh.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

It's very rare for anyone in our shooting group to zip or "duck" a stand as we call it - it's just to expensive. The first one to duck has to buy the teas/ coffee and butties when we get back to the clubhouse- if it happens there's a lot of stamping feet and dummies flying. As regards asking for money back - the organisers would laugh you off the ground and so would everyone else.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:18 pm 
Crown Grade

there will always be people who will whine and gripe.

Many bird hunters who think themselves "good shots" come up empty at SC's and get mad and tell the shoot organizers off.

Most of these folks are encouraged to come back out and try again and some of them do--that's the ones who become SC addicts(like me).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

If I were to get my money back for missed birds, I would be a rich man. The day this catches on, will be the day sporting clays has died.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:46 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Quote:
He mentioned that if lower class shooters "zipped" a station in the U.K. they did not ask for their money back.

If those were his exact words, I would say it is slang or a figure of speech in that they weren't happy with the target setter and or course.

Why don't you email Wendell and find out, his address is below.

[email protected]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:58 am 
Limited Edition

I have emailed Wendell.We will have to wait and see.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:27 pm 
Limited Edition

I have recieved a reply from Anne,Wendells wife, telling me that Wendell is in Memphis teaching and cannot reply himself.
But according to the lady "zipped" means missed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

If you spoke Yankee English instead of the Queen's English, you would habla the lingo Old Fart. Zip, Zero, Zilch. All the same thing. You know, like 1776 - Yankees 1 / Brittish ZIP, 1812 Yankees 1 / Brittish Zilch! Just kidding.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:28 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I wasn't even refering to the term zip, that's a no brainer, what I was refering to was the way he said some people asked for their money back-----that can easily mean they were simply unhappy with the targets :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:37 pm 
Limited Edition

I've zipped or doughnutted a few stations in sporting and got a little aggrevated with myself but never considered asking for money back. I've even seen a station where several squads didn't hit any but nobody ask for their money to be returned.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:59 am 
Limited Edition

I took the statement to mean that there are too many people in the US that take themselves too seriously. I have never shot with anyone that would ask for money back b/c they couldn't hit a target(most of them have too much pride to make that confession). If I ever do, that will be the last time that they shoot with me. I have enough stress in my life, I don't need some idiot to stress me out on the SC's course. If you are not a big enough man(or woman) to admit that maybe you just need to practice more, then I don't have the time or the inclination to deal with you.