It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not enough shooters in second 100 registered course
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:44 am 
Field Grade

Several clubs around here (IL area, and west MO) offer a second round of 100 registered targets during their registered shoots. I'm finding that I'm paying for registered targets, only to find out when I get the final results that I am often the only shooter in my class (B) on the second course of 100. The second round of 100 draw just a small portion of the shooters. I even shot second HOA the other weekend beating the few A,AA, and M shooters. But since I was the only B shooter, no punch. Frustrating. I may join the "shoot a registered shoot, but don't pay to register my targets" crowd.

I'd recommend if there are two or less shooters in a class that they be combined with the classes above. Similar to NRA shiliouette matches that I used to shoot.

Post subject: Re: Not enough shooters in second 100 registered course
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:47 am 
Crown Grade

Has happened to me more than once - and seems especially prevalent here in B and A class. Nothing more frustrating than driving an hour+, spending the money for registered targets and then finding you you won your class because you're the only one in it. Combining with the class above, I think, is a GREAT idea for those situations.........

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:00 am 
Diamond Grade

So in the second shoot where you were HOA, there wasn't a combined total of 10 shooters?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:02 am 
Limited Edition

MJ, would you please post some numbers as to total number of shooters in 100 #1 and #2? Also, the number by class for the first 100? Not trying to pick a fight, just curious as to turnout numbers in your part of the World. At Upland in Northern Illinois they use the same 200 target format and I've really not paid attention to numbers in classes other than my own. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:09 am 
Tournament Grade

The same happens in Texas but most like to shoot super sporting, 5 stand etc vs. the B course.

Some clubs on the other hand do a really good job of getting people to shoot all disaplines and courses by attractive bundled discounts. Caney Creek and Ables does an excellent job at this. Ables even goes a step farther by offering discounts for kids shooting with parents. I've seen no other clubs do this EVER....

DL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:18 am 
Field Grade

Good questions. Last weekend I went to a shoot with 27 shooters in the first 100, 7 were B class. In the second 100 there were 12 shooters and only 1 in B.

In the shoot I had Second HOA there were only 11 shooters in that second 100 and just 1 in B. The first 100 had about twice the number of shooters.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:44 am 
Limited Edition

Mo Jaybird wrote:
I may join the "shoot a registered shoot, but don't pay to register my targets" crowd.
There's a subset of shooters who think registering targets is optional. It isn't.

Quote:
III-A. CLASSIFICATION SYSTEM
A shooter's classification carries over from one shooting year to the next. All new shooters will be assigned a class. During the current year, a shooter is subject to reclassify UPWARDS ONLY (with the exception of appeals). A classification card will be provided to all shooters. This card must be shown at registration every time a shooter registers for an event. To maintain the integrity of the classification system, all NSCA members shooting on the course where a NSCA Registered Event is taking place must register their targets.
Emphasis from the NSCA rulebook.......

You have other options like....
1. Asking at registration how many are in your class before paying
2. Seeing how many are registered in your class if the event is in Winscore/iClays/ScoringPro before signing up

Last edited by mil_dot on Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:48 am 
Crown Grade

Agreed. According to NSCA! Some clubs may choose to ignore that for the sake of a few bucks. His other option is to go elsewhere and shoot non-registered targets for about half the cost.

(Warning: To those that read my posts.)
I don't shoot registered targets so what could I possibly know or have to offer?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:53 am 
Limited Edition

Jim Miller wrote:
Some clubs may choose to ignore that for the sake of a few bucks.
So far I haven't seen one who will turn the money down by enforcing the rule, which is sad.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If this the norm around you have you thought about declaring up to A ? It is an option to your frustration.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mil_dot wrote:
Jim Miller wrote:
So far I haven't seen one who will turn the money down by enforcing the rule, which is sad.

In 26 years of this I have only been asked once and quickly said no and he said okay and shot in the tournament. Does it get asked a lot elsewhere? If you dont want to shoot in the tournament and want to shoot the same targets just shoot after the shoot is over is easy enough. Maybe I am missing something?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:15 pm 
Crown Grade

See it all the time; in fact I used to do that before joining the NSCA; clubs allowed non-registered folks to shoot "targets only". Had zero effect on those shooting for punches and let the clubs make some more money (or at least cover costs)

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Oh, I miss understood. I thought you were saying NSCA members not wanting to shoot in the tournament. I do have a hunter class and encourage it too as it is a great introduction.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

You get one punch for HOA.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:20 pm 
Crown Grade

When 10 or more shooters are in the event, high score and all ties with high score get one punch.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:37 pm 
Crown Grade

LWSSC wrote:
Oh, I miss understood. I thought you were saying NSCA members not wanting to shoot in the tournament. I do have a hunter class and encourage it too as it is a great introduction.

Except this wasn't Hunter class either.....no NSCA fees, it was as if you weren't there......$40 vs $70 (unless you wanted lunch, then add $10), so basically $50 vs $70 but no punches or fees to pay or cash award. Some clubs would get an extra 6-8 shooters....maybe they got them to join, maybe not - but that extra few hundred sometimes makes the difference between a loss and a profit for the club................

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

Sounds to me like the OP needs to get out to larger venues. Small shoots are fun and all, but usually lack enough people to make winning your class feel like a victory. Places like M&M which have on average 30 AA shooters is the kind of venue you can rack up some punches. There are some clubs that I shoot that have 2 courses and I shoot them both, mostly because I drove there so why not shoot both.

NSCA # 606314
682 Gold E sporting
687 EELL 20/28 GA
391 Gold sporting
870 wingmaster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mo Jaybird wrote:
I'd recommend if there are two or less shooters in a class that they be combined with the classes above. Similar to NRA shiliouette matches that I used to shoot.

Now if you get punches in that class, you have to stay there. Is that really what you want?

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:40 pm 
Crown Grade

How many faux-master class shooters are there that really belong in those lower classes?

(Warning: To those that read my posts.)
I don't shoot registered targets so what could I possibly know or have to offer?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:49 pm 
Limited Edition

LWSSC wrote:
mil_dot wrote:
Jim Miller wrote:

In 26 years of this I have only been asked once and quickly said no and he said okay and shot in the tournament. Does it get asked a lot elsewhere? If you dont want to shoot in the tournament and want to shoot the same targets just shoot after the shoot is over is easy enough. Maybe I am missing something?
I know a guy who does ask the question and at least two clubs I know of around here go along.

I've also pointed the rule to this same guy and he ignores it. I no longer care about it. I can't give other people integrity.