It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cyl/IC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:33 am 
Field Grade

Anyone use cyl and IC in their 12 gauge O/U for sporting clays?

Post subject: Re: Cyl/IC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:01 am 
Diamond Grade

Sure. When conditions warrant it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:02 pm 
Field Grade

I know it depends on the course. Using a normal course as an example, not one set up for a tournament, etc., would the combo work for 70%, 80%, 90% of the shots taken?

I am new to the sport and starting out I am trying to give myself as much of an advantage as possible.

I know this combo will not be perfect for every station, but if it will be okay for the majority, I believe it would help build confidence until I become more familiar with SC.

Any thoughts/recommendations from those with more experience is appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

http://www.shootingtimes.com/long-guns/ ... ds_201002/

I've run a U2/U3 combo for a while now and happy with it. :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:55 pm 
Limited Edition

You know what builds more confidence than a pair of wide open chokes?

Taking lessons

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

Double00 wrote:
I know it depends on the course. Using a normal course as an example, not one set up for a tournament, etc., would the combo work for 70%, 80%, 90% of the shots taken?

I am new to the sport and starting out I am trying to give myself as much of an advantage as possible.

I know this combo will not be perfect for every station, but if it will be okay for the majority, I believe it would help build confidence until I become more familiar with SC.

Any thoughts/recommendations from those with more experience is appreciated.

If a Cylinder choke is appropriate for more than just a handful of targets then the course is marshmallow soft, too soft to help you improve your game. Whatever you do, don't get caught in the illusion that open chokes provide some great advantage that compensates for lack of skill and experience, and don't fall into the trap of fiddling with chokes constantly in search of that advantage. Think of targets as Close, Most, and Far. Put in a pair of chokes that will be good for most (80%) of the targets on a normal course, like IC/LM. Switch to Cylinder for the few close targets you'll see, and to Mod or IM for the few longer targets.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

mil_dot wrote:
You know what builds more confidence than a pair of wide open chokes?

Taking lessons

Not always, but with a good coach, yes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Years ago, one of the most competitive shooters I knew...never changed chokes. He shot CYL and IC. AND... he changed his loads depending on the shot. He had loaded his Silver AA with one load, Green and Red with another.

Everyone else was changing chokes and he was "changing loads"... He always challenged me with... Don't try to beat me this round.. try to beat my average (which was about 88 - 90%)... Sometimes you'll win... sometimes I will..

He broke targets that I thought were too far for the choke. I also know that he did have a 1 1/8 oz load of 7 1/2... and also 1 oz. - 8s, and 1 oz of 9s. I'm not sure on velocities.

Maggs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:07 pm 
Field Grade

hopper810 wrote:
http://www.shootingtimes.com/long-guns/longgun_reviews_st_headintheclouds_201002/

That is a tired old write up on chokes that was never any good to begin with.

Last edited by DKW1 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Actually, IMHO, that cylinder choke will hurt you more often than it will help you. Typically, an IC will work for many of the shots that a fairly new shooter would expect to break. FWIW, I'd drop the cylinder choke and pick up a light modified choke in its place. You'll be glad you did. Good luck -- and, enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:30 pm 
Crown Grade

MOD is probably the most useful choke at most ranges if you only had to choose one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:52 pm 
Crown Grade

For registered stuff, I agree Mod will work for "one and done", but for casual stuff, most courses are set up for success by casual shooters, which means IC for most, if not SK.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DKW1 wrote:
hopper810 wrote:
http://www.shootingtimes.com/long-guns/longgun_reviews_st_headintheclouds_201002/

That is a tired old write up on chokes that was never any good to begin with.

Then educate me on why

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

You will get 100 view points on this topic. All are right in some way. You will need to decide what route you take.

I agree that cyl is probably too open to run all the time. Without knowing what targets look like at your club, I would be more inclined to suggest you consider a pair of IC chokes or an IC/LM or IC/M combination. Whether you leave what is in the gun alone or change chokes is up to you...100 other view points on that decision too.

Work on your game...practice....have a lesson or two. The tighter chokes will give you more feedback on your breaks. You may notice you break a particular part of the target very hard instead of a bunch of light chippy breaks that tell you very little about where you really were in relation to the target. The unfortunate thing with any miss.....unless you have a good coach watching you, early on you will not have a clue what you did wong.

Benelli SBE 2
Browning Auto 5 light 20
Release Triggers by Phillip's Gunsmithing

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

I took Seras advice and stuck 2 mod tubes in. I'm hitting the short 15yds stuff just fine for.my ability and it's helping a bit with my lighter loads past 30-40. My course averages 30-35 yards on our intermediate targets...yes laser range finder verified.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

Wow! You have opened a can of worms! You will get 1000 opinions. For a benefit level course that could get you 90-100% For a small local tournament probably 70ish%. For an really big shoot 60ish%. If you are just going out to shoot for fun with your buddies use what you got. If you want to start chasing the tournaments as others have said take some lessons (I know you didn't ask about that) and you will need some tighter chokes. How tight=depends? You will figure it out in your journey wherever it takes you. FWIW, I shoot LM at everything never change. Just go have fun and break some birds! Good luck, Steve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:52 pm 
Crown Grade

At the two courses I mostly shoot the most common choke combo is IC/IC. I see lots of good scores shot with that combo.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:53 pm 
Crown Grade

blackandgold wrote:
I took Seras advice and stuck 2 mod tubes in. I'm hitting the short 15yds stuff just fine for.my ability and it's helping a bit with my lighter loads past 30-40. My course averages 30-35 yards on our intermediate targets...yes laser range finder verified.

Yep! And if you look at the work Gil and Vickie Ash and others have done; MOD is almost as good as IC at close ranges and much better at ranges where IC quickly drops off.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

VTHokiesDuckHunter wrote:
blackandgold wrote:

Yep! And if you look at the work Gil and Vickie Ash and others have done; MOD is almost as good as IC at close ranges and much better at ranges where IC quickly drops off.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

What if someone asked a choke question and no one answered?