It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cyl/IC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:
That is one of the reason I am looking at the New Brain chokes. I like their spacing better.

On most sporting clay course the U3 is to tight.

I agree that U3 is too tight for most courses, yet U2 is too open for my tastes on most courses.

I would love to hear reports from actual users of the Brain chokes. So far, all I've seen is their marketing speak.

Human ego will naturally resist change, yet change is the fuel that powers progress...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:11 pm 
Crown Grade

blackandgold wrote:
oneounceload wrote:
Quote:
Put a Mod in and learn to shoot,

Why not cover every distance and just put in 2 Fulls then and REALLY learn to shoot. Good enough for King George (on most presentations)

I did this edit: (using F/F)and it really helped my game. Lots of pain early on but now using M/M and doing well for my ability. I am not, nor do I aspire to be, a pofessional shooter but learning and bleeding on tight chokes made me learn the fundamentals. Only to learn choke isn't really important as long as you have enough.

If you learned using F/F, why not stick with it? Sounds like it helped you out.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:15 pm 
Crown Grade

JacksBack wrote:
KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:
That is one of the reason I am looking at the New Brain chokes. I like their spacing better.

On most sporting clay course the U3 is to tight.

I agree that U3 is too tight for most courses, yet U2 is too open for my tastes on most courses.

I would love to hear reports from actual users of the Brain chokes. So far, all I've seen is their marketing speak.

Isn't U3 = .022, so Mod? One K-80 shooter had a pair of factory chokes that were .018 - never changed chokes, he changed ammo - 8.5 or 7.5; works for him

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:36 am 
Limited Edition

JacksBack wrote:

Briley Plasma chokes, LM (.015) and M (.020)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One reason I like my Mullers is for their tweener size :) I run a U2/U3 combo

Depending on bore diameter of your gun it will vary a little, but as an average they are approx as follows: U0 = .002",U1 = .005", U2 = .012", U3 = .022", U4 = .035"

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The .010 between the U2 and the U3 is what I don't like. IMO I think it makes the U3 to tight for most sporting clay courses.

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife

Krieghoff K 80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:
The .010 between the U2 and the U3 is what I don't like. IMO I think it makes the U3 to tight for most sporting clay courses.

Come shoot in TX and you wouldn't think so :wink: :lol:

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That does help me at all. I don't shoot in Texas. I want chokes for where I shoot!

Muller Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:03 am 
Crown Grade

Terry if you want something between the U2 and the U3, check out Pure Gold, and their measurements. I have a .20 and a .25 for duck hunting, and they are nice. I also have a .15 "LT MOD" for my A400 xcel, so I did bridge the gap between my U2 and U3, but guess what, I never shoot it. I shoot my U2 99% of the time.

If I have something close, I change my load to a spreader, and if something is far, I toss in a 1/1-8th load. Might as well stack the pellets in your favor.

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Fan&Member
"regard le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One of the reasons I like Muller chokes is because the constrictions are farther apart. If I am going to make a choke change(I rarely do) it is an actual change. Changing a choke that is only .005" different is hardly a choke change.

I like my U3, I don't ever have to change it and I don't think it is too tight, unless I go to a skeet in the woods course.

What I would suggest is pattern your U2 at 30 yards and pattern your U3 at 30 yards. I will bet that the effective pattern size is within inches of each other.

I have patterned mine and they are within 2" on diameter of each other, but the U3 has a whole more pellets in that effective pattern, which at 30 yards is about 21". What that means is that the U3 will be just as effective at 30 yards and still break targets consistently out farther because of the denser core.

Anything under 20 yards I have started to use spreaders on, instead of changing chokes, but I am not sold on that idea either. I am betting on no choke change or spreader loads, one choke one load.....done.

Of course I am only in B class so.............

aka Mr. Tactful

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:26 am 
Crown Grade

I agree with the above post, if I'm changing a choke it needs to be .10 difference, otherwise I don't see the point.

Most of the time I run a .15/.25 combo. probably too tight, but better too tight than too loose.

If something is stupid close, or short window and close I'll change out the IM for a skeet (.05). If something is stupid far I'll throw in a full (.35), only have done that 2 or 3 times in a decade.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:
That does help me at all. I don't shoot in Texas. I want chokes for where I shoot!

As much as you've shot over the years and the 10's of thousands of rounds and you're still un sure about chokes WOW feel sorry for you. :(

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Most of the time I shoot a pair of U2's.

The last few weeks I have been shooting a U2 in the bottom barrel and a Brain choke C3 in the top.

The C3 is .717.

Muller Chokes
Member of the NRA

Last edited by KRIEGHOFFK80 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:

I agree.

hopper810 wrote:
Come shoot in TX and you wouldn't think so :wink: :lol:

I have shot in Texas, and still haven't really seen any need for anything more than Mod.

That said, *IF* I shot Mullers, I probably would shoot a U2/U3 OR more likely a U3/U3 combo and carry U1's for close. But I gave them up specifically because I didn't like the spacing between U2 and U3. If he made U2-½'s, I'd probably still have pair of his chokes in my gun.

The issue for me is edge targets in that 40+ range -- Mod will break them reliably but a U2 won't, regardless of what the manufacturer claims.

Human ego will naturally resist change, yet change is the fuel that powers progress...

Last edited by JacksBack on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I shot the US Fitasc in Michigan and hit (some of) all the really long shots w/ a Mod choke So did the guy who came in 3d who was in my squad.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

hopper810 wrote:
KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:

As much as you've shot over the years and the 10's of thousands of rounds and you're still un sure about chokes WOW feel sorry for you. :(

Since my daughter passed away I don't know when, what, or if on anything.

I am at a complete loss.

If you knew me you wouldn't feel sorry for me. :lol: :lol:

I can't even figure out what I want for lunch 99% of the time. :lol:

Muller Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:12 am 
Presentation Grade

Most choke manufactures will make custom chokes. Like .0125::.0185::.0225, etc..
Basically being said use a mod choke. You have to pattern what you have, many times a choke will pattern one constriction tighter...or more open....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:20 am 
Crown Grade

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:
Most of the time I shoot a pair of U2's.

The last few weeks I have been shooting a U2 in the bottom barrel and a Brain choke C3 in the top.

The C3 is .717.

So the C3 mics at 717 compared to what? What is your bore dimension, .735?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:24 am 
Limited Edition

dogchaser37 wrote:
If I am going to make a choke change(I rarely do) it is an actual change. Changing a choke that is only .005" different is hardly a choke change.

Agree. The two that stay in my gun 95% of the time are .015 and .025. When something is really close, one of those comes out to be replaced with .000.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:43 am 
Crown Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
If I am going to make a choke change(I rarely do) it is an actual change. Changing a choke that is only .005" different is hardly a choke change.

{hs#

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next