Diamond Grade

The Swanny wrote:
Barrels have beads?

And sometimes trinkets.:-)

Post subject: Re: Bead on your barrel
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

Another vote for the tiny brass bead.

I joked that the big fiber optic beads would be a great golf product, because when I tried one it cut my score IN HALF! I couldn't take my eye off of it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:31 am 
Tournament Grade

How many of you that prefer no bead would also prefer no rib ? Any of you shoot plain barrel guns with no bead ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:54 pm 
Crown Grade

I can't see any need for a rib either. I used to hunt with an old Win. model 12 with no rib.....pretty deadly on the rabbits and grouse.

(Warning: To those that read my posts.)
I don't shoot registered targets so what could I possibly know or have to offer?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:18 pm 
Crown Grade

naildriver wrote:
How many of you that prefer no bead would also prefer no rib ? Any of you shoot plain barrel guns with no bead ?

Tell me where I can buy an 8.5-9 lb 32" "target grade" O/U without a rib and I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

bopper wrote:
naildriver wrote:

Tell me where I can buy an 8.5-9 lb 32" "target grade" O/U without a rib and I'll give it a try.

Exactly if they worked that better the top shooters would be shooting them. And yes I'm well aware some top shooters get support to use a certain gun ect., but its gotta work for them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mine came with a fiber optic sight, so I use it like that. Whatever gun I use, I shoot it with whatever bead is on it. I don't really pay any attention to it.

cdb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I recently picked up a beautiful pre-owned DT-10, the first thing I did was change the big red fiber optic bead the previous owner was using to a the smallest brass bread the threads would fit. Anything that obvious out front just grabs my eyes no matter how hard I try to look past it. I've also used some black nail polish on some of the beads of my other guns that have a front bead that glows bright.

#541119, http://www.claysnwings.com
Introduce a kid to the great outdoors, it's addictive!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:40 am 
Field Grade

Why would anyone want a distraction at the end of the barrel. The barrel is along for the ride and if it comes into focus it many cause you to slow your swing and miss.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

When I stopped paying attention to the bead, my scores went up at least 5 birds on average. Haven't gone to the extreme of taking the Bradley white off, but I don't use it so it wouldn't be missed.

My Ithaca pump that I use for pump events has fiber optics. It can be distracting, but once I call pull and look at the bird, I don't see it despite the glow.

NSCA#633193

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Fitasc2 wrote:
bopper wrote:
naildriver wrote:

Exactly if they worked that better the top shooters would be shooting them. And yes I'm well aware some top shooters get support to use a certain gun ect., but its gotta work for them.

I wasn't thinking they would be better - I was just thinking if that bead was either not needed or too distracting for some surely a big wide rib would have to make it hard to look at the bird .

On that same note wouldn't having a 32" or 34" barrel be to much of a distraction for those bothered by a bead ?

And you are exactly right if it didn't work for the top shooters they would not use it , next time you are around some of those boys or are watching their videos check to see if they have a bead .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bout 10 months back, the small but bright red bead fell off my 391 so, I left it off.
I wanted to give a beadless bbl a good try out.
What a disaster.
I shot a half dozen or so comps plus practice &, I just lost track of my bbls more than I wanted to.
The bead that I lost was the small Beretta red bead so, I've had to resort to their large bead which, I think, is too big & distracting.
What I'd like to put on the Bbl now would be a tiny but bright red bead.
After considering this dilemma carefully, I've come to the conclusion that, the guys whom need the beads are those that do not look at the Bbls & use peripheral vision only which, when contrasted against trees or, against dark background, loose their Bbl awareness easily.
I think the issue of beads is opposite to that which everyone seems to think.
It's not the guys whom need the beads which have a problem rather, those whom seem to think that they don't need a bead whom have a target focus issue.

SoT

Sydney J. Harris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:01 am 
Crown Grade

I guess "down under" everything is backwards. Up here a bead is a non-essential frill.

I don't shoot registered targets so what could I possibly know or have to offer?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

Jim Miller wrote:
I guess "down under" everything is backwards. Up here a bead is a non-essential frill.

Jim : Have you looked at the poll ? It has nothing to do with being down under . Like my old buddy used to say in times like this - The whole worlds F...ked up , but your alright !

Seems like the folks that don't want a bead are a lot like the folks that quit drinking - They just KNOW this is what you need to do too !!!

You know I can't believe how little these companies that make these shotguns know about shooting !!! :roll: :roll:

Perazzi / Krieghoff / Remington / Holland & Holland / Beretta / Browning Ect...

You would think that they would at least offer a model without a bead on it for all the "experts" that don't need or want one . I mean yeah you can remove the bead but who wants that ugly hole in the rib ? :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Beads are easily removable but still available for those that need the crutch or don't know the basics of shotgun shooting.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

I had a bug land on the end of my barrel today, does that count...

Beretta 1301 Comp 24"
NSCA #659704

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:46 pm 
Crown Grade

That should work.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

Jim Miller wrote:
Beads are easily removable but still available for those that need the crutch or don't know the basics of shotgun shooting.

Jim, you need to go to a PSCA shoot and tell Gebben Miles, Wendell Cherry, Bill McGuire, Brad Kidd, Derrick Mein, Anthony Matarese, Kevin DeMichel, and several other top shooters they are using a crutch and need to learn the basics of shotgun shooting.

Sometimes it's better to be guessed as ignorant than to post on the world wide web and remove all doubt...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

I know several Master Class shooters that have no front sight. Its a personal preference.

Beretta 1301 Comp 24"
NSCA #659704

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:49 pm 
Crown Grade

Just because the bead is there does not mean they are using it. I have beads on my gun but don't use them. I have them because of when I didn't I was getting tired of people asking where my beads are.