It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2018 AZ State Shoot
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Putting this up for a friend from AZ as he got caught in the Photo Bucket mess and hasn't changed to someone else just yet :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

Post subject: Re: 2018 AZ State Shoot
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:44 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks Hop!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For folks that may not be aware, this is being held at the same club that's hosting the 2018 US Open a month later, 4-9 through 4-15. It's a club with different enough terrain to shoot over, that shooting it once before the Open would not be a bad idea for those that have the ability to do so. Just a thought...

Human ego will naturally resist change, yet change is the fuel that powers progress...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:40 am 
Tournament Grade

I agree Jack. If someone has the opportunity it would be a good experience to shoot a few events during State to get a little of the flavor of Coyote before the Open. I shot the fitasc there this past weekend

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:21 pm 
Limited Edition

The 2018 Arizona State Championships are going to be HUGE! It will be held at Coyote Springs in Tucson just 4 weeks prior to the U.S. Open and the same weekend as the ACUI collegiate shoot. This will be a great opportunity for those planning on attending the U.S. Open to preview the venue and work on shooting targets in the desert in front of a big open sky. The ASCA is giving away "FREE" Super Sporting entries for those that shoot both the main and FITASC events, they are putting up an additional $10,000 in added monies that can be won by both in-state and out-of-state shooters, U.S. Open entry giveaways, banquet, raffles, special events (ZZ Birds) and more. Registration is up on Winscore.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Did they put in Helice rings?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

percula wrote:

in2ice wrote:
special events (ZZ Birds)

I would take that as a yes :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:57 pm 
Utility Grade

hopper810 wrote:
percula wrote:

in2ice wrote:
special events (ZZ Birds)

I would take that as a yes :)

I hope so, but they can be setup as temporary rings fairly easy too. When I was there last month I didn't see anything new or signs, etc.

I'll give them fair warning though... you get a bunch of SC shooters a shot at Helice, they might be forced to put rings in... Them ZZ birds are addictive!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

percula wrote:

Jim R, who recently retired as clay sports manager at Rio Salado, purchased a Helice setup. He's been throwing events monthly at Rio, and was invited to set up for the state shoot as a way to introduce the game to the large group we expect there.

But while I'm on the subject of side events and other opportunities: Tucson Trap and Skeet is home to 52 American Trap fields, 4 International (Bunker Trap) fields, 12 Skeet fields (Both American and International). Those are nearly always available on a card system thru the clubhouse. If you'd like to try a round of Bunker, for example, it will be available for public use, in addition to the competition events.

There is a regional ACUI shoot going on there the same weekend, so if you'd like to just observe some very good young Bunker and Skeet shooters, you'll have that opportunity as well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:55 pm 
Utility Grade

AZ Dutch wrote:
percula wrote:

Jim R, who recently retired as clay sports manager at Rio Salado, purchased a Helice setup. He's been throwing events monthly at Rio, and was invited to set up for the state shoot as a way to introduce the game to the large group we expect there.

Thank you!

I've been shooting on that same setup at Rio.

Looking forward to the whole event, Tucson is always a great experience.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Re ZZ's. The new portable machines make it pretty easy to set up a makeshift ZZ ring on a trap field. It may not have the required fencing/dimensions as a tournament field, but it's good enough for demo, practice and general shooting fun. If you plan on trying it, bring your tight chokes -- .025/.035 is pretty standard, and I'd reco at least .020/.030. 8's will separate them and more pellets is generally better; also speed seems to play a small role and a lot of the better shooters use 1350's, but 1200's will do the job if you do yours.

Oh, and it absolutely IS addictive! I will go to the mat claiming it's the most fun you can have with a shotgun. :mrgreen:

Human ego will naturally resist change, yet change is the fuel that powers progress...