It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reports From Florida Shooters DURING & AFTER Hurricane Irma
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I wanted to get this thread started as a place for ALL Florida shooters to report on the status of their homes, property, and personal well-being DURING and AFTER hurricane Irma. We already have several different threads running on the preparations being made prior to the storm and also on well wishes for those who choose to stay, so let's reserve THIS thread for reports from Florida residents DURING and AFTER the storm.

Of particular interest would be the damage you sustained or saw in your immediate vicinity.... and don't forget to tell us where that vicinity is. Was your home flooded or perhaps the roof blown off or windows broken, or whatever? Was the electric power off, and if so for how long? We're particularly interested in first-hand, eyewitness reports more so than something that you heard from a friend of a friend. Good luck and keep us posted. {hs#

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

Post subject: Re: Reports From Florida Shooters DURING & AFTER Hurricane I
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:20 pm 
Limited Edition

Keep watching the Weather Channel, they'll provide all the first hand info you're entitled to receive !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:19 pm 
Utility Grade

I don't think people who have a home in the path of this hurricane are worried about posting on SGW what damage they have seen or sustained.

There is more to life than this game we play or this forum you live in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:25 pm 
Crown Grade

People in the path of this storm should only be concerned with one thing. STAYING ALIVE. Not posting on some shotgun forum. This is probably the silliest post ever on here. People are going to die and loose everything they own and you want a blow by blow description on here. Really!!! Do you own a television? You obviously own a computer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:15 pm 
Limited Edition

I'll take a video of my roof blowing off for ya, I'll have nothing better to do.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

How about you guys who don't like the thread avoid it completely and let those who do want to share do so?

How about that?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Good idea, mil_dot.

(Warning: To those that read my posts.)
I don't shoot registered targets so what could I possibly know or have to offer?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Any and all are welcome to come down and see it first hand - as it happens if you'd like. In all seriousness, if anyone IS able to come and help out in the aftermath, I'm sure we could use your assistance.

Breezes are starting to pick up, but still a rather nice day. The birds are gone however - seems they just know to get out of here.........

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

My parents (Homestead) and sister/BIL (Weston) evacd last night. Slept in Sarasota and will drive today to newnan Ga to stay with other relatives.

More than likely I'll be down in homestead when this is over to help dad clean up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

rs1220fl wrote:
Keep watching the Weather Channel, they'll provide all the first hand info you're entitled to receive !

I don't doubt that the Weather Channel and many other channels will provide very extensive coverage of the hurricane and the resulting damage. However, I know from personal experience on numerous occasions that the TV stations hype the damage and make the viewer think that it's more extensive than it really is.

Many times I've watched TV coverage of a flood or hurricane and gotten the impression that the whole city or entire counties look devastated when really it was only a tiny section of the city or county that looked like that.

That's why I'm asking that Florida shooters who decide to stay and weather the storm report what is ACTUALLY happening to them. That will give us a better view of how extensive and how serious the damage is on a much broader scale. If this information is not of interest to some here, then they should just skip over this thread and get all their storm coverage news from whatever TV channel they want to watch. Good luck to you down there in the Tampa area.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

FWIW, my thoughts are with you all. If you left (good call, IMO) I hope your stuff doesn't suffer too much damage. If you stayed (really?) I pray that you're alive next week.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:35 pm 
Crown Grade

As of 3PM, this SOB is coming right over my house sometime about 9PM to midnight Sunday. My utility is planning on losing power this time, which we never did in 2004. Helped my 90 year old neighbor and his wife put up their storm shutters.........and when I asked if their daughter was coming up from Tampa to be with them they responded that she wasn't because she was waiting to have a lung transplant.................so just when you think you have a bad scenario, you realize that others have it worse and need your help............

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:07 pm 
Field Grade

oneounceload wrote:
As of 3PM, this SOB is coming right over my house sometime about 9PM to midnight Sunday. My utility is planning on losing power this time, which we never did in 2004. Helped my 90 year old neighbor and his wife put up their storm shutters.........and when I asked if their daughter was coming up from Tampa to be with them they responded that she wasn't because she was waiting to have a lung transplant.................so just when you think you have a bad scenario, you realize that others have it worse and need your help............

oneounceload
All we can do is prepare for the worst and hope for the best. This isn't the first storm I've rode out here in Florida in my 57 years. I was born just before hurricane Donna hit in 1960 and rode it it out in an old Florida cracker house at two weeks old. My family has been here over a hundred years so this isn't the first one we've seen but it is one of the strongest ones for sure

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

Bladeswitcher wrote:
FWIW, my thoughts are with you all. If you left (good call, IMO) I hope your stuff doesn't suffer too much damage. If you stayed (really?) I pray that you're alive next week.

Those of us who grew up in hurricane country actually can tell when it is time to stay and when it is time to go.

Where and when I grew up I weathered at least 5 or 6 hurricanes, some pretty bad. Our house construction (reinforced concrete) plus common sense preps (stored water in bathtubs, bottled drinking water, camping gas stoves, non-perishable foods) plus not living in a flood prone area and well away from the shore made it an easy decision to stay.

If you live in a lightweight wood frame home, have no provisions, no alternative means of cooking, live in a flood plain, and have never experienced a hurricane, maybe you should leave.

This is one of those things that people who've never experienced it are really not in a position to judge what the best course of action is. I say that respectfully but firmly. Sometimes the lens of ignorance makes wise decisions seem foolish.

So I ask that we do not criticise or judge those who choose (for whatever reason) to say. Only they can be in a position to make that call, even if they end up being wrong in hindsight.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:50 pm 
Crown Grade

My house is wood frame AND a gable roof, not hip..........BUT I am midway between Yankeetown and Daytona; windows are boarded up, water and food enough for a week at least, charcoal grill, propane lanterns and candles and 5000 gallons of pool water to flush toilets...........with a predicted direct hit, we are hoping the house and roof survive (along with us). Some neighbors are either idiots, new here to FL or just unbelievably ignorant leaving lightweight things outside, and thinking this is not going to have an impact..........

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:07 pm 
Field Grade

Good luck to everyone down there our prayers are with you !!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:39 pm 
Crown Grade

I spent all of my summers as a kid through the end of high school at my aunt Virginia's house on the water in Marathon (FL Keys). When I graduated from Virginia Tech in 1982 I moved to Coconut Grove (Miami) and lived there and then in Pembroke Pines for a total of about 10 years. Went through a couple of Hurricanes; but also my aunt had several books on the big hurricane that went through the Keys on Labor Day in what I believe was 1935.

I can tell you that if people don't get out of the Keys and South Florida and if this Hurricane comes through there - a lot of people will die. Even in certain reinforced concrete structures in the right area -the storm surge will drown people.

I pray that the storm will veer back out away from the Keys and South Florida; but also pray that all will heed the warnings and get out of there. Most people will not survive the kind of hurricane that hit the Keys in the '30's.

Post subject: Reports From Florida Shooters DURING & AFTER Hurricane Irma
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:03 am 
Crown Grade

Here's hoping that the people in the Florida Keys saw this short video before making their decision to leave or stick it out for the storm! Pray for all in it's path!

Demi

"WATCH: Hurricane Irma Flattens St. Martin’s Iconic Airport"
http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/08/watch ... c-airport/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:57 am 
Crown Grade

We own a condo right on the water in Ft Lauderdale. There's a mandatory evacuation in place, but we're in So Cal.

We were getting regular updates from the building manager, but even she evacuated. All we can do now is wait and see.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:49 am 
Crown Grade

Jim Miller - 11:30 this morning says Naples, Marco Island area can expect a storm surge of up to 15'. Hope your house makes it ok.