It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carts used at Sporting Clays Events
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:06 pm 
Field Grade

I'm debating whether to get my own cart or keep renting. Renting is certainly the cheaper option as I often split the cost. That's true even when the rental fee is $90 per day.

But, . . . prudence be damned, I want my own.

There's such a preponderance of Polaris' including the long, Suburban-like Crew version at the events. The Hondas, Yamahas, Kawasakis, etc. do not seem nearly as popular. I'm actually beginning to wonder how big the "cart" can be before it's no longer a cart? Three of these big limo-carts parked at one station with three more waiting along side is quite the sight.

If my criteria are, 1) gas/diesel, 2) quality suspension, 3) horsepower 50+, 4) cargo bed, 5) towing capacity of 1k lbs., and, 6) seating of 2 + more if in additional seats or riding in the bed. All of this, as a cart for me must also serve duty around a large acreage property.

In this re, what makes the Polaris so superior that it out numbers the others by my observations by 10 to 1?

Post subject: Re: Carts used at Sporting Clays Events
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:22 pm 
Crown Grade

The few 5-6 passenger ones I have seen also have air-conditioning; nice feature here in the heat and humidity

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:10 pm 
Utility Grade

I use a Polaris Ranger 500 at my job. We abuse it to hell and back. It just keeps running. If you're using it for clays events and putting around some land it'll be more than enough and it's proven itself to be a workhorse. I don't know how all the rest are but if I were to ever buy a cart it'd be a Polaris.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:06 pm 
Limited Edition

You need to sit in a Polaris and a Mule Pro-FX, particularly if you are a big boy. Much more foot room in the Mule. Lots more after market accessories available for the Polaris. Horsepower figures are not available from the OEM, just engine displacement.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:58 pm 
Crown Grade

I was just looking at a Honda Pioneer SxS the 500 is not much bigger than a standard golf cart <50" wide, would be 4wd and able to seat two with a small utility bed. The larger SxS machines are very nice but on tight trails the 60"+ width seems like it could be problematic.

NSCA #551026

FORUMS are for ENTERTAINMENT ONLY. They don't teach shooting!

{RO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:00 pm 
Field Grade

The Polaris is a great bike. If you want A/C, look at the Polaris 1000 Northstar Crew Cab. The Kubota diesel comes with A/C also, but it's a 2-seater. In both cases, the price tag is not for the faint of heart.

IMO, the Kawasaki Mule has superior suspension to the Polaris. Additionally, it seems to be quieter. At 6'7", I find the Kawasaki to be more comfortable in legroom (front seat) and seating.

Drive 'me both. I'm not sure you can make a bad choice between the two.

Craig Horan
NSCA Life Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

The new Kawasaki Mule crew rides like you're in a recliner. Cloud-like.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I picked up a used Yamaha gas golf cart, added knobby tires, a rear seat & front basket, & it does fine. Very little invested. As with everything, you can spend as much as you have (or can borrow).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have long legs. I don't fit in the UTVs, I bought a Golf Cart instead. My best two fits were the Ranger 570 Full Size and Arctic Cat HDX 500. Golf cart is much easier to tow.

#MMUSOpen2019 #TheForkUSOpen2021

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have owned and used many side by sides. I currently own a polaris 800 crew, they are user friendly and ride very well. I use mine on the clay field hunting and work. honestly I have not used the new style Kawasaki I saw a Rancher the other day looks like Kawasaki is finally getting the message.

The Kabota's just don't have the acceleration I like or the ride, they are very heavy and have had some duck hunters say they get stuck in the mud easier.

Yamaha's are noisy and don't seat as many. The Artic Cat does not have a good reputation. Honda will probably run for ever but after looking at them they just don't fit my needs.

Buster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:03 pm 
Crown Grade

Orson,

Missing from your list is reliably. In my case I went into buy a Ranger, but the large dealer who sold both convinced me that the Mule is much more reliable... compare the warranties.

We did test drives on several and ride, noise, comfort and handling along with warranty/reliability pushed us to the Mule Pro.

YMMV,

Demi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:23 pm 
Field Grade

That's all great feedback and thank you. I have heard positive things about how quiet the Kawasaki is.

Is the Polaris' popularity due then to the fact that they leapt so far ahead of the UTV world and only now the competition is catching up? The Kaw Mule and John Deere Gator have been around for a long time though. I used to see Forest Rangers on Mules back when I road dirt bikes on Forest Service roads.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:30 pm 
Field Grade

The golf cart concept makes sense in general but not entirely for my specific needs. It has to be able to haul heavier loads and do some towing around the property. Also, quality suspension is a big deal for me.

As the vehicle gets heavier and the tires get bigger, I need power steering, too. I should mention that. And reliability as Island Shooter says.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:53 pm 
Field Grade

smoke ball wrote:
You need to sit in a Polaris and a Mule Pro-FX, particularly if you are a big boy. Much more foot room in the Mule. Lots more after market accessories available for the Polaris. Horsepower figures are not available from the OEM, just engine displacement.

Good to know. I was wondering about HP listings which are misleading anyway. Torque matters more to me. I'm not racing anybody in one of these. I was generally thinking I would need to be at 700cc up to 1000cc. "There's no replacement for displacement," quote from old dirt bike and road racing days. That's a tiredy old quote though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:08 am 
Crown Grade

As some one that worked at a power sports dealership in the parts department, and we actually handled all of the brands mentioned at all three locations, the Polaris is the number one seller due to marketing, they have nailed it, and they continue to ramp that marketing. The Can Am's should not be over looked at all. The Mule's have the most room, and ride the best.

Polaris's are a nice unit, but just google Polaris recalls once.

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Fan&Member
"regard le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

OrsonX wrote:
The golf cart concept makes sense in general but not entirely for my specific needs. It has to be able to haul heavier loads and do some towing around the property. Also, quality suspension is a big deal for me.

As the vehicle gets heavier and the tires get bigger, I need power steering, too. I should mention that. And reliability as Island Shooter says.

Agreed. As a single purpose vehicle, the golf cart is great. But put it on the farm and it's worthless. Just something to consider...

#MMUSOpen2019 #TheForkUSOpen2021

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:39 am 
Diamond Grade

I think any UTV you buy that is in the functional utility and not the trail speed class will give you very good weight carry capacity along with towing capacity. Good tires along with low range gear box and diff lock and you will be surprised by what these units can do.

kinda like with guns look at as many in person as you can and even better if you can drive them.

Benelli SBE 2
Browning Auto 5 light 20
Release Triggers by Phillip's Gunsmithing

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:40 am 
Tournament Grade

IMHO. The Kubota is a heavy tank and will last forever. I've owned mine since 2004 and it is still lile new. I have diesel equipment on my property, so the diesel Kubota works for me.
I got back into sporting clays about 3 years ago and I've been thinking about buying another UTV, so I chose the Ranger XP 1000. Don't ask me why, I just had to have one. The 500 is all you need though and the accessories are endless. I owned a Mule once and it was OK, but it wasn't a Polaris. From what I've read here, the Mule has come a long way.
The XP 1000 is OK. For the little shooting I do, the Kubota would have been just fine, I just wanted a Polaris. The trailering weight factor is substantial. A one axle trailer is borderline safe with the Kubota RTV. Too much weight on the tires.
IM keeping the Kubota though. The flimsy plastic dump boxes on the other UTV's cant hold a candle against the Kubota steel.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

After two golf carts I bought a Honda Pioneer 700 4-seater. Way less $$$ than the Polaris, has shaft drive not belt and is a work horse.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:45 am 
Diamond Grade

Whenever possible, I prefer to walk.