It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Carts used at Sporting Clays Events
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I prefer a golf cart for my own shooting or with one buddy -- step in and go. All the other XTV's you need to turn a key to start them. Plus I'm a big guy and most golf carts have more leg room and are definitely easier in and out than a Polaris for me.

That said, as an instructor I'm considering one of the new two-row-seating Hondas so I can schlep two or three students and their gear at shoots.

Nobody mentioned trailers yet -- if you don't have one, look into a good Aluminum trailer. I got an Aluma, and it tows like 10x better than my old steel landscape trailer did, AND I picked up about 2 MPG with it behind my Yukon. Just sayin...

Human ego will naturally resist change, yet change is the fuel that powers progress...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:04 am 
Diamond Grade

mwr01 wrote:
Whenever possible, I prefer to walk.

Same for me. I own a gator and only use it for sporting clays at a place in New Hampshire where the clays course is built on a small mountain.

At M&M or addieville I will rent a golf cart but more for my wife due to health issues.

If I develop chronic health issues in time I would use some sort of cart more but will walk as long and as much as I can.

Benelli SBE 2
Browning Auto 5 light 20
Release Triggers by Phillip's Gunsmithing

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:34 am 
Crown Grade

Walking after a bad station is what I need to clear my mind, forget riding. Plus the exercise is nice as well, and I've seen some guys bring so much with them, that they damn near need a UTV for their UTV.

I try to keep everything as simple as possible, and I have even gone the route of opting for a smaller range bag.

I understand though why some people need and or want to have a UTV or golf cart.

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Fan&Member
"regard le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:47 am 
Tournament Grade

sera wrote:
After two golf carts I bought a Honda Pioneer 700 4-seater. Way less $$$ than the Polaris, has shaft drive not belt and is a work horse.

A friend has a Pioneer 1000 and that thing is sweet. Just like this one but in all dark gray

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:10 am 
Presentation Grade

If I ever upgrade from an electric cart I will seriously look at the Honda. I have owned Polaris Honda Yamaha Kawasaki four wheelers and the absolute most reliable was always a Honda motor. My uncle has had the diesel four-seat Kubota for probably 10 years and it is an absolute Workhorse, however it's heavy it's slow in the suspension will beat the crap out of you on rough Terrain because it's built for work and not pleasure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

I too prefer to walk. At the larger shoots it's just not practical, though.

The shorter wheel base of the Honda 5 seater is very appealing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

JacksBack wrote:
I prefer a golf cart for my own shooting or with one buddy -- step in and go. All the other XTV's you need to turn a key to start them. Plus I'm a big guy and most golf carts have more leg room and are definitely easier in and out than a Polaris for me.

A mechanically inclined buddy told me that golf carts were made to stop and start 200 times a day, the XTVs were designed to start and run all day. My mechanical knowledge ends at closing the gas cap, so WTF do I know?

Quote:
Nobody mentioned trailers yet -- if you don't have one, look into a good Aluminum trailer. I got an Aluma, and it tows like 10x better than my old steel landscape trailer did, AND I picked up about 2 MPG with it behind my Yukon. Just sayin...

So now you get 6MPG?

I looked at the Aluminum trailers because I store mine outside. I can buy two decent steel ones for the price of an Aluminum. Being the frugalist, that sold it for me. I have a fold-down gate on my trailer, I think I lose 4MPG just because of it. But it is damn convenient.

"Both Texas Tiger and Marist summarized proper pull away very well in the first two replys to your question." -- ZKienbaum
"You are exactly right." -- Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:52 pm 
Limited Edition

Aluminium trailers are really great. They are lighter and still look good after a few years when the steel trailers are getting rusty. The issue is after a couple years of use you will find that you now have your local TIG welder on speed dial as cracks will form that need repair.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

marist89 wrote:
So now you get 6MPG?

My 2015 Denali with the 6.2 liter engine averages 21 MPG driving 70 on the freeway, 20 when I drive my more normal 75. It'll go up to 22 if I drop to 65, which is the speed I haul my buggy at. Pulling the buggy with my old steel trailer, I got 14 to 15; now I average closer to 17.

FYI, my aluminum trailer has a built-in ramp, full width just like my steel fold up rear ramp/tailgate, only this one slides in and out from underneath -- very slick.

Granted, as a frugalist it would probably take like 50K miles to make up the $2000 cost difference in gas savings, but it sure tows nice in the meantime :)

PS: mine has like a 10 year warranty on defects of materials or workmanship.

Human ego will naturally resist change, yet change is the fuel that powers progress...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

This is my new toy with my old Featherlite Trailer;
I don't care to walk the extremely long courses that we have in our area. I find that golf carts give a bumpy uncomfortable ride.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

JacksBack wrote:
FYI, my aluminum trailer has a built-in ramp, full width just like my steel fold up rear ramp/tailgate, only this one slides in and out from underneath -- very slick.

That is sweet. I considered taking off my lift gate and getting ramps, but then I'd have to find a place to store it. I may still do that, it depends on how many times I go to M&M next year!

"Both Texas Tiger and Marist summarized proper pull away very well in the first two replys to your question." -- ZKienbaum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have been looking at them all lately and the Honda 700 + 4 is going to be the one for me. Can't beat the reliability of a Honda.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have been looking at them all lately and the Honda 700 + 4 is going to be the one for me. Can't beat the reliability of a Honda.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:12 am 
Tournament Grade

smoke ball wrote:
Aluminium trailers are really great. They are lighter and still look good after a few years when the steel trailers are getting rusty. The issue is after a couple years of use you will find that you now have your local TIG welder on speed dial as cracks will form that need repair.

A properly designed and engineered trailer shouldn't do that, regardless of the materials it's made of.

That many do tells me that some of these trailer manufacturers do little to no actual engineering design work on their products and rely on tribal knowledge and rules of thumb.

Not very confidence inspiring..........

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

FTR: all my friends who have alum trailers have had them crack.

My neighborhood allows carts on the roads , alleys , etc. My registration number is 156.

At one commons event a guy came up to me and admired the Honda and said , "what do these cost? $22,000 ?"

I said "no , $13000."

Hard to beat that. :D

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:29 am 
Tournament Grade

Buy a used Honda Fit or similar sized hatchback car. Take the doors off. Remove the back window glass (or unbolt the whole rear hatch). Replace tires with knobby ones. Put some cheap vinyl seat covers on.

Instant clays car not much bigger (if at all) than most large ATVs I see now, and probably a lot cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:12 am 
Tournament Grade

mil_dot wrote:
Buy a used Honda Fit or similar sized hatchback car. Take the doors off. Remove the back window glass (or unbolt the whole rear hatch). Replace tires with knobby ones. Put some cheap vinyl seat covers on.

Instant clays car not much bigger (if at all) than most large ATVs I see now, and probably a lot cheaper.

The first time I saw a Ranger Crew, I was standing next to a course owner.. I turned and said: "If I get a convertible Mini-Cooper, take the top off and put a gun rack in the back, can I take it on the course? It'll be about the same weight and smaller than that ranger.. And.. no trailer needed..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:43 am 
Crown Grade

How about an old Jeep CJ 7?

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jtw wrote:

The first time I saw a Ranger Crew, I was standing next to a course owner.. I turned and said: "If I get a convertible Mini-Cooper, take the top off and put a gun rack in the back, can I take it on the course? It'll be about the same weight and smaller than that ranger.. And.. no trailer needed..

You (or me for that matter) in a mini-cooper; I'd pay to see that!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:45 am 
Tournament Grade

marist89 wrote:
jtw wrote:

You (or me for that matter) in a mini-cooper; I'd pay to see that!

Looks like someone already did it with a SmartCar

And for those hurricane days at Nationals

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next