It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: shooting vests comparison between 2 different brands
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:49 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm wanting to buy a shooting vest for Sporting Clays looking for feed back on the following 2 different brands of shooting vests. "Shoot the Moon" or "Castellani".
Thanks for your opinion on the two brands pros and cons.

Post subject: Re: shooting vests comparison between 2 different brands
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Shoot the Moon custom makes your vest, so it's a bit difficult to run an apples to apples comparison with a vest off the rack. I've worn both and I now wear an STM. I know what I want and I can get it from them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

I can tell you I never used a vest until 3 weeks ago and love my Castellani very form fitting, with contour in the shoulders for a smooth mount. I would highly recommend.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Before you decide look at this... https://www.nicashooting.com/nica-design5-shooting-vest/

Caesar Guerini Ascent 12ga 32"
Remington 11-87 20ga 28"

NSCA #621387
NSCA Level 1 Instr
NRA Rifle Instr
NRA SG Instr
NRA Pistol Instr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

Love my shoot the moon. You get it fit exactly to your build and shape, you pick the colors and all the options. Takes 2-3 weeks but was worth it. I ordered the yoked one (fabric back and mesh sides) and plan to order the all mesh one as well. They also sell a zipper extension so it can fit in the summer and then add it when you put on the extra layers in winter. Biased if you can tell :-)

NSCA#633193

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Lots of options from Shoot The Moon to add to the vest, but each one carries an upcharge. And my experience is that although you can truly customize it, it is not really a custom fitted vest.

I got my main vest from Seams Incorporated in Delware. The owner was at one of the state shoots I attended and I was actually fitted for the vest, it was supplied with the options I wanted and embroidered. Great vest. Although there is some adjustment for those shoots where you eat too much at the awards dinner, a truly fitted vest is great.

I have never bought a suit or sport coat marked, Medium, Large Etc. These vests start just like a suit or sport coat, i.e. 40 Long etc. and then are tailored to you.

I think Seams retired, but their our other custom vest makers out there.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:32 am 
Limited Edition

Ultimate Shooting Accessories is a board sponsor and he has a Castellani sale going on right now. http://ultimateshootingaccessories.com/Shop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:03 am 
Tournament Grade

I take a slightly different view. A shooting vest serves three purposes for me: provide a place to carry shells, provide a place to store or carry a few minor things that I want immediately available (ear plug case, a choke tube, sweat rag, maybe a small water bottle in the back pouch), and prevent the gun's buttpad from hanging up on my shirt.

As long as it does those things and fits reasonably well (meaning not zipper busting tight or baggy loose), I'm all set.

I see no value in a tailored vest nor in one costing nearly $200 and I'v been using the same Cabela's vest since 2000.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a new Castellani. It fits well. The leather stays nice and flat. There isn't anything I don't like about it.

I don't think that you could go wrong with either vest.

The reason I have the Castellani and not a Shoot the Moon is, I called STM with a few questions and they did not call me back. Castellani answered my questions when I called.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mil_dot wrote:
I take a slightly different view. A shooting vest serves three purposes for me: provide a place to carry shells, provide a place to store or carry a few minor things that I want immediately available (ear plug case, a choke tube, sweat rag, maybe a small water bottle in the back pouch), and prevent the gun's buttpad from hanging up on my shirt.

As long as it does those things and fits reasonably well (meaning not zipper busting tight or baggy loose), I'm all set.

I see no value in a tailored vest nor in one costing nearly $200 and I'v been using the same Cabela's vest since 2000.

Same here {hs#

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:47 am 
Crown Grade

The OP was looking for opinions specific to STM and Castelleni.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:57 am 
Presentation Grade

I have both STM and Castellani and like both. But while I have nothing but good things to say about STM, I have nothing but GREAT things to say about Ultimate Shooting Accessories and its proprietor, Tom Lotus -- a shooter who knows what we need and, more important, a true gentleman.

Buy from either with confidence.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:15 am 
Limited Edition

STM will build a completely custom (measured and built to spec) and their service is great. Occasionally they get backed up around big shoots, etc but made in Colorado Springs is good. My son is in his second STM (outgrew the first). He looked at Castellani, but liked the STM better. He liked being able to pick details and cost was about the same.

Nothing negative about Castellani.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:58 am 
Presentation Grade

I have one of each. Love them both. The STM is more mesh, and it's my hot weather vest. The Castellani fits a little looser (I bought it that way), fits over thicker clothing, and is my cooler weather go to.

The only functional difference is that the pockets on the STM are a couple inches higher, a fact I only notice if I switch back and forth for some reason.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:30 am 
Limited Edition

AZ do you like the pockets higher or lower or doesn't matter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

jwmhunt wrote:
AZ do you like the pockets higher or lower or doesn't matter

Doesn't seem to matter much. Just an adjustment when reaching into a pocket without looking a time or two, and any difference is forgotten. The lower pockets probably fit ME better, more naturally at the length of my arms. Caveat: The torso length (and therefore pocket height) may well be an adjustable dimension in their custom made vests. My STM was given to me as a shoot award, and so I chose it off a rack of pre-made selections.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

AZ Dutch wrote:
Caveat: The torso length (and therefore pocket height) may well be an adjustable dimension in their custom made vests. My STM was given to me as a shoot award, and so I chose it off a rack of pre-made selections.

It is.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:32 pm 
Utility Grade

I have been trying to get order a STM for over a week now and can't seem to get ahold of anyone. I really wanted a custom vest but it looks like I'm gonna have to go with castellani.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:40 am 
Field Grade

Bought my first castellani from ultimateshooting accessories, it for great but after a couple rounds the stitching on the leather started coming apart. They took it back no questions asked and sent me a new one. The new one has lasted over 3 years and I absolutely love it. I've never used a stm so I can't really say which one is better, but I love my current castellani.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you're looking for a truly custom vest, try Chuck Dietl:

http://plessingersportswear.weebly.com