It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upland game and Clays this weekend
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:17 pm 
Limited Edition

Upland game and Clays hosting a registered shoot this weekend two separate 100 bird events European rotation shoot Saturday or Sunday.
14755 Edson Road Davis Junction Illinois just south of Rockford on 251 registration starts at 8:30 shooting starts at 9:15

Post subject: Re: Upland game and Clays this weekend
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:05 pm 
Field Grade

What's for lunch?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:47 pm 
Utility Grade

NO FITASC ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:09 pm 
Crown Grade

I'm hoping that Upland will throw Fitasc, I think we just need to give it time, and lets see what Dan does, I'm sure good things are headed our way!

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Fan&Member
"regard le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Actually as of now I don't know what is for lunch my good friend Ned is going to take care of that.
No fitasc this weekend but thinking about throwing one in the near future.
Hang tight we will get there until then just trying to get things right instead of just throwing lots of targets.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:28 pm 
Limited Edition

Here's a question for everybody if I threw a fitasc what do you prefer a 50 Bird fitasc with a small gauge fitasc side event.
Or a sporting side event
Or a 75 or even a 100 with no side event.
I don't have enough traps to do all
I think I could pull off 100 bird fitasc 75 for sure with a 5 stand on the side.
Let me know what you think.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:30 pm 
Limited Edition

Dan, just shooting off the top of my head here but I think you want to start off on a strong financial footing. 100 clays, black/Green, Saturday & Sunday will get the most people thru the course with the least BS and fewest number of employees. FITASC involves scheduled squads, potential rain reschedule headaches, referees and fewer people run thru the course in a perfect situation. Fewer dollars for more aggravation.

How about a warm up station? Keep it by the club house so you can keep an eye on it and charge $X dollars for 10 shots. It would make me as a shooter happy and generate some more cash.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

For my personal druthers, I would love it if you threw a 100-bird FITASC event -- but as smoke ball points out, that may not be the best business decision for you. FITASC is expensive and requires more help than a pull-your-own event, period.

But if you did 100 sporting and 50 FITASC ... I'd do my best to be there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

I definitely prefer to be able to shoot 200 sporting targets after making the drive up there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:03 pm 
Limited Edition

Well I guess I should explain better I'm not going to change my monthly shoot of having two separate 100 bird courses what I was asking is that on some off weekend and nobody else is shooting if I did throw a fitasc what would you prefer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:54 am 
Presentation Grade

I think 75 FITASC and a separate 5-stand would be a good compromise. Shooting 100 FITASC straight through is a challenge; 50 generally isn't enough to justify a separate trip.

75 and a separate 50-bird 28 gauge FITASC? That would be very cool.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:57 am 
Crown Grade

I would love to see a 100 bird Fitasc, and or 75 bird fitasc with a five stand if possible. I do not shoot sub gauge, so I have no horse in the race for a vote on that.

I think your idea of throwing a 100 bird fitasc on a non registered/monthly shoot weekend would be dynamite. And as long as it would be registered, I'd make the drive for fitasc and a 5 stand event.

Kudos for reaching out to the shooters and asking us what we think, while we know you can't make everyone happy, it's great to see you asking for feedback and ideas.

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Fan&Member
"regard le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

1.) Thank you for asking what the shooters would like to see. It shows that you are genuinely engaged and would like to raise the bar. Many NSCA members would appreciate that. Most shooters will remain mute as they don't want to be confrontational. They just vote with their wallet and stop attending. So many other clubs rely on their previous reputation and are actually devolving. Then the shooters stop coming to their facility. You have the ability to improve this club's attendance by trying different events. Trial and error will tell. Don't be afraid to challenge the registered shooter base. Generally they want to be challenged. You already have a large IL/WI population base to draw from. Outstanding potential!

2.) 5 stand arranged close to the clubhouse is a winner. Yes that might mean investing in some more traps but it is the fastest way to more target revenue.
A.) It's visible to other potential shooters for warm up or competition. Those guys that do not want to invest in two more hours for another sportie's 100 might do it.
B.) It is a money generator as you can cycle shooters through fairly quick.
C.) I would rather shoot a challenging 5 stand event before or after a 100 bird sporting event than another slightly different 100 bird sportie's. Just my personal preference concerning time and money.
D.) Having it face north is the best layout so as to prevent sun issues. 6-7 well identified (signage) traps would be required.
A menu of singles, reports and true pairs is preferred.
E.) Varying the presentations greatly on a monthly basis will drive me to return. Monthly repetition will keep me away.

3.) As far as Parcours de Chasse is concerned. You have excellent variance in terrain that would be well suited for this venue. Rolling hills, woodlands and creek bottom. A FITASC target setters dream. Probably the best approach is to start small with a 50 bird event. I would prefer a 75 or 100 bird event. Once again personal preference. The club to the east of you draws from the same population
base. They have a successful monthly registered business plan that is worth copying.

4.) Super Sporting is popular too. Throwing that in every now and then would spice things up. I prefer singles followed by reports, then trues. Formats are important.

5.) I will continue to shoot at clubs that are innovative and strive to continually improve. In tune with the different customers base of registered VS casual and the difference in their demands.
Target offerings are the main reason I attend a given club. EVERYTHING else is secondary. I don't want to see league targets at a registered event. No eye tests, short windows or gimmicks. Stratification of scores from class to class is a good indicator of a well planned course.
No bastardization or hybridization of games and rules. That will drive me away for good!

6.) Seems like an easy formula to success if you work hard. You have all the skills, experience and tools of a good shooter. Now you have to convert that into giving the registered shooter base what they want in order to insure repeat business. Best of luck!
{hs#

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

remdog1187 wrote:
1.) Thank you for asking what the shooters would like to see. It shows that you are genuinely engaged and would like to raise the bar. Many NSCA members would appreciate that. Most shooters will remain mute as they don't want to be confrontational. They just vote with their wallet and stop attending. So many other clubs rely on their previous reputation and are actually devolving. Then the shooters stop coming to their facility. You have the ability to improve this club's attendance by trying different events. Trial and error will tell. Don't be afraid to challenge the registered shooter base. Generally they want to be challenged. You already have a large IL/WI population base to draw from. Outstanding potential!

2.) 5 stand arranged close to the clubhouse is a winner. Yes that might mean investing in some more traps but it is the fastest way to more target revenue.
A.) It's visible to other potential shooters for warm up or competition. Those guys that do not want to invest in two more hours for another sportie's 100 might do it.
C.) I would rather shoot a challenging 5 stand event before or after a 100 bird sporting event than another slightly different 100 bird sportie's. Just my personal preference concerning time and money.
D.) Having it face north is the best layout so as to prevent sun issues. 6-7 well identified (signage) traps would be required.
E.) Varying the presentations greatly on a monthly basis will drive me to return. Monthly repetition will keep me away.

3.) As far as Parcours de Chasse is concerned. You have excellent variance in terrain that would be well suited for this venue. Rolling hills, woodlands and creek bottom. A FITASC target setters dream. Probably the best approach is to start small with a 50 bird event. I would prefer a 75 or 100 bird event. Once again personal preference. The club to the east of you draws from the same population
base. They have a successful monthly registered business plan that is worth copying.

4.) Super Sporting is popular too. Throwing that in every now and then would spice things up. I prefer singles followed by reports, then trues. Formats are important.

5.) I will continue to shoot at clubs that are innovative and strive to continually improve. In tune with the different customers base of registered VS casual and the difference in their demands.
Target offerings are the main reason I attend a given club. EVERYTHING else is secondary. I don't want to see league targets at a registered event. No eye tests, short windows or gimmicks. Stratification of scores from class to class is a good indicator of a well planned course.
No bastardization or hybridization of games and rules. That will drive me away for good!

6.) Seems like an easy formula to success if you work hard. You have all the skills, experience and tools of a good shooter. Now you have to convert that into giving the registered shooter base what they want in order to insure repeat business. Best of luck!
{hs#

OUTSTANDING post. Couldn't agree more.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

birdshooter1 wrote:
remdog1187 wrote:

{hs#

OUTSTANDING post. Couldn't agree more.

+2

I kept reading and thinking "I can't improve on this"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

I keep going back and reading RemDog's post. I agree with evrything he said, I especially like:
Quote:

I hate going to a club and saying, "oh, we are at station 7, this will be two quartering targets with all they spring they can put on the traps to kick our butts now that we are off of the league course." then we get to the last station and say the same thing.

I especially like this comments that I bolded:
Quote:
5.) I will continue to shoot at clubs that are innovative and strive to continually improve. In tune with the different customers base of registered VS casual and the difference in their demands.......
I don't want to see league targets at a registered event. No eye tests, short windows or gimmicks. Stratification of scores from class to class is a good indicator of a well planned course.
No bastardization or hybridization of games and rules

The second thing I hate is a lack of separation in classes. I get it we will always see the outlier in E,D, or C Class that could earn a punch in AA or M, but take those outliers out of the picture and I like to see that nice progression in scores. While I also understand that everyone likes to break targets, I see no reason why the majority of all classes are in the 80-92 range. That is a league course IMHO. Don't make me lose by missing the least, make me win by hitting the most.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:36 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks guys all good advice we will dial something up right around the corner.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:25 pm 
Limited Edition

I did just buy
a 6 machine wireless setup for a 5 stand we won't run it this weekend because we stole 2 traps to increase to 13 stations.
And with me tournament weekend is just that and always will be.