ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Important Nationals Question!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:42 pm 
Field Grade

jtw wrote:
Cmh07a wrote:
You can travel to Austin to try Franklin's.

+1 on Rosario's and Bob's.

Never been to Perry's, might have to try that this year. Chuy's is another small chain tex-mex option. I like their creamy Jalapeño sauce. It's good on tortilla chips too.

As far as BBQ, I don't spend much time in San Antonio, so I haven't hit many local places. I do fly into AUS a lot and I've hit pretty much every BBQ joint I can find around Austin. To this Yankee, Black's in Lockhart is my overall favorite. I also like Rudy's.

Don't forget to hit Whataburger at least once.

Chuys is always a solid choice!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:55 am 
Limited Edition

I almost forgot.. If you're a craft beer guy, you might want to check out the Hoppy Monk.

http://www.thehoppymonk.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Perry's and Bob's do not require a coat.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:37 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks for all the tips guys. Really appreciate it! Coming down with my wife and 12 yr old daughter. My daughter when she was 10 picked Ruth's Chris for her birthday dinner so I'm sure Bob's or Perry's would be fine with her!
Thanks Terry. It'll be a good time. On my 410 trophy I put a note "stolen from Terry Shook" :lol: {hs#

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Steve , at Perry's save room for dessert. There's a flaming dessert they make table-side where they make a praline topping over ice cream. Easily enough for 2 or 3. PLUS there's a nice mall right there where the ladies can walk around and window shop.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

claysman steve wrote:
Thanks for all the tips guys. Really appreciate it! Coming down with my wife and 12 yr old daughter. My daughter when she was 10 picked Ruth's Chris for her birthday dinner so I'm sure Bob's or Perry's would be fine with her!
Thanks Terry. It'll be a good time. On my 410 trophy I put a note "stolen from Terry Shook" :lol: {hs#

Well done! :lol: {hs#

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

Morton's steak house if you have a corporate black amex. We hit a lot of the local diners etc. Ask the locals at the hotel...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Cmh07a wrote:
You can travel to Austin to try Franklin's.

Last I heard Franklin's is still closed due to the fire.....double check if you plan to make that trip.

NSCA#628498

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Check out Chunky's Burgers on 4602 Callaghan Rd, San Antonio, TX 78228. They were featured in Man vs Food show.

JC

Jeremiah 29:11

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for whoever recommended Chuy’s & Perry’s, both were outstanding. Chuy’s was the best Tex-Mex we’ve had in many, many years

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:06 pm 
Limited Edition

Just got home a bit ago. Thanks for the tips! Shot terrible- ate great! Made it to Rudy's- outstanding gas station barbecue. Pappadeaux's- outstanding crawfish ettouffe (sp?) with dirty rice. Bob's steakhouse- amazing filet. El Chapparal- excellent authentic Mexican. Whattaburger- Beats the hell outta McDs. After some thought on this we should post our personal favorite spots before the shoots. After all, that's why most of us are there for. I really don't care about what chokes are the best to use! But that's just me. Thanks again, Steve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:17 am 
Utility Grade

So many restaurants were offered here and no one has written about my favorite Taco bell. I think I've tasted their menu 10 times already, so when the doctor prescribed me a keto diet, I was very upset that I couldn't go to my favorite Mexican restaurant on Saturday morning as usual. Although it later turned out that Taco Bell has a low-carb breakfast. I was very surprised because I thought that in such places there can not be diet food, but this article https://www.modernfit.com/food/how-to-o ... carb-diet/ changed my mind.

Last edited by OwenMackay on Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:36 am 
Presentation Grade

JacksBack wrote:
sera wrote:
Perry's is about 2 points better on a 100 scale than Bob's .

Okay then, on my list for next time!

Jack and others, Perry’s pork chop is like no other. It is amazing. Brined, smoked, roasted and finished on the grill. The dinner portion will serve three, the lunch portion is good for two. The lunch portion is on special Fridays (at some locations) for $16. What a stupid good deal. Even the regular price of the dinner portion is more than fair. If you ever come across a Perry’s anywhere, screw the steak. Do not miss the pork chop. It will change your life.

One secret about ordering. Ask the waiter for a “moist chop, not overdone”. Those are the exact words to use. The chef will choose one for you that will melt in your mouth. If you don’t specify, sometimes you can get one that is a bit dry.

Last edited by Auldthymer on Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Ate at Smitty's Market in Lockhart, meh, nothing special. The sausage was good, the brisket was dry and chewy.

I won't be back.

Rudy's moist brisket it's better.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

ysr_racer wrote:
Ate at Smitty's Market in Lockhart, meh, nothing special. The sausage was good, the brisket was dry and chewy.

I won't be back.

Rudy's moist brisket it's better.

What you are saying is heresy, but absolutely true. The mom and pop bbq place has an honored place in Texas lore, but is way overvalued. People just love to seek them out on the backroads and put up with all the idiosyncrasies. They are mostly just plain funky with slow service, dry meat and crappy sides. A well proven small chain like Rudy’s does a better job day after day all the time. Nobody beats Pappas Barbecue, but it will never gain wide acclaim, because of being a major chain.

What I can’t tolerate is the “when it’s gone, it’s gone” BS. That is just a marketing gimmick designed to make people think the product is rare and precious. In truth it is no harder to make 500 lb of bbq a day than 200. You just need to hire another guy to spread the rub and buy another smoker. Brisket scales up just fine. When they are running out at 12:30 PM every day like Franklin’s was doing before the fire, it isn’t because their brisket is that much better and hard to make. It is because they refuse to make enough in order to develop a mystique. Dumb if they don’t want to double their revenue, but it is fine with me. You can have my share. I can get just as good lots of other places they don’t run out while I am standing in line.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Having lived for a good while in Texas, I can say that in my opinion the Pappas restaurants are all excellent: steak. Cajun, Mexican and BBQ. However, I could take you to at least a dozen places here in Kansas City that in my opinion has far better BBQ hands down. BUT....this is SUBJECTIVE and PERSONAL. What one person likes another may consider average. In Texas, Franklins is great, so is Sonny Bryant’s in Dallas. Luthers was great until bought by Pappas. But my very favorite in the whole state was Good Company in Belaire in Houston. You may disagree, and that’s fine.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

casonet wrote:
Having lived for a good while in Texas, I can say that in my opinion the Pappas restaurants are all excellent: steak. Cajun, Mexican and BBQ. However, I could take you to at least a dozen places here in Kansas City that in my opinion has far better BBQ hands down. BUT....this is SUBJECTIVE and PERSONAL. What one person likes another may consider average. In Texas, Franklins is great, so is Sonny Bryant’s in Dallas. Luthers was great until bought by Pappas. But my very favorite in the whole state was Good Company in Belaire in Houston. You may disagree, and that’s fine.

No argument at all, but that is not Bellaire if I remember my Houston geography. That is Houston city proper and I think they call that Upper Kirby. I just wish their sauce tasted a bit less like canned tomato sauce. And not only are all Pappas restaurants excellent, but so are all Goode restaurants. Ah, Houston. Gotta love it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It was very near Belaire as I recall. I worked at the Shell Lab

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Now to mention a couple more: County Line and The Salt Lick in Austin. Both I thought were just OK, but my family really liked County Line.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

casonet wrote:
It was very near Belaire as I recall. I worked at the Shell Lab

Yes, indeed. North on Kirby about a mile from Holcomb/Bellaire Blvd.