It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sporting Clays in Dallas Texas?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:55 pm 
Crown Grade

I'm going to be in Dallas in May for business, and know there's a few clubs near by. If you had to pick one to shoot at, which one would it be?

Post subject: Re: Sporting Clays in Dallas Texas?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:53 pm 
Field Grade

Brad,
I'd love to see you here at Fossil Pointe. May is a great time to be here, the wildflowers are in full bloom and it's not blazing hot yet. We are only 1hr from DFW airport. Come see us!

David

Fossil Pointe
7282 N FM 51
Decatur, TX 76234

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Brad, really? You don't use https://www.claytargetsonline.com/texas/

I KNOW you aten't that naive............have fun in TX

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

+1 for Fossil, great terrain and targets!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:30 pm 
Utility Grade

Fossil pointe... Beautiful Place, Exemplary Staff and Owners, Fair Prices!

If you feel like driving west, another good course is Greystone Castle (Mingus, Tx).

Enjoy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

+1 to Fossil Pointe if you have time, I love it out there. I am a member at Dallas GC and if my schedule allows I would be happy to host you there. Once you get your dates nailed down PM me here.

NSCA#628498

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Fossil Pointe wrote:
Brad,
I'd love to see you here at Fossil Pointe. May is a great time to be here, the wildflowers are in full bloom and it's not blazing hot yet. We are only 1hr from DFW airport. Come see us!

David

Fossil Pointe
7282 N FM 51
Decatur, TX 76234

Thanks David I will. I'm kind of a "subversive", but I'll behave myself :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:53 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Brad, really? You don't use https://www.claytargetsonline.com/texas/

I KNOW you aten't that naive............have fun in TX

I actually just Google "sporting clays near Dallas" and it came back with a few places. The reason I ask here is to narrow it down.

Mike Noel wrote:
+1 to Fossil Pointe if you have time, I love it out there. I am a member at Dallas GC and if my schedule allows I would be happy to host you there. Once you get your dates nailed down PM me here.

Thanks Mike, I will.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:16 pm 
Limited Edition

Fossil point great place,good people,

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Absolutely Fossil Pointe. Wonderful people, a beautiful facility, great courses, and when you finish you can go to Decatur and have a good steak at Sweetie Pie's Ribeye on the square. Seriously Fossil Pointe is the prime example of it you put your customer's first, the money will follow.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

or Cow Camp.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:06 pm 
Utility Grade

Fossil point is nice, but about an hour out of town. Elm Fork has a couple decent courses and is pretty close in to Dallas.

Dallas Gun Club is private, but I’m also a member there and can host you if Mike can’t. It also has two nice courses and some other fun targets (“the grid”), as well as helice and international bunker & skeet.

Jason

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:05 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks guys. If you're ever in the Los Angeles area, I'd be happy to show you some of our clubs. But fair warning, they don't compare to some of the great/grand clubs in other states.

We just don't have the real estate (or customer service) other states have.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:11 am 
Tournament Grade

It's just a tad bit out of the way, 5 1/2 hour drive from Dallas, but we have an NSCA shoot on May 19th, coupled with a "Wine Lover's Weekend". I believe you would enjoy the place Brad if you have the time.

JL Bar Ranch & Resort
Sonora, TX
www.jlbar.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Fossil Pointe = excellent - an hour from DFW airport 2.5 courses. David Niederer's facility

Greystone Castle = excellent, not much like it anywhere in TX - 1.5 hrs from DFW, a lot less from Fort Worth side. 2 courses William Walton is the boss.

Elm Fork = very close in, 2.5 courses. If you are short on time there is almost no travel time from Dallas - 10-15 minutes from DFW airport. Can be reasonably "sporting" if not set up for a corporate shoot. Scott Robertson's facility

Lone Star - Glen Rose 1.5 hours from DFW airport, closer if you're south of the metroplex. Great targets and terrain. 2 courses.

Defender Clay Sports Ranch - 40 min from DFW airport on the W side of Fort Worth. Just opened this month and first registered shoot later this month. Travis Mears place.

And there are other facilities within range, some public, some member only.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:31 am 
Crown Grade

flyfishingjones wrote:
Fossil point is nice, but about an hour out of town. Elm Fork has a couple decent courses and is pretty close in to Dallas.

Dallas Gun Club is private, but I’m also a member there and can host you if Mike can’t. It also has two nice courses and some other fun targets (“the grid”), as well as helice and international bunker & skeet.

Jason

Hi Jason, it looks like Dallas Gun Club has a tournament on Saturday May 19th. Are you shooting it?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:14 am 
Utility Grade

Don't think so this time - I have a bunch of family coming to town that weekend, and I don't think I can slip out.

It should be a great shoot though. Jimmy Montgomery is back setting targets at DGC, and they've been pretty fun to shoot. Also, I guess they are setting up a Super Sporting course for this event as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:13 am 
Diamond Grade

Elm Fork is my recommendation. 10 minutes from DFW Airport and you can rent any number of guns, a cart, and get ammo. Fossil Point is good too, but it is more than one hour from the airport. Certain times of day with the traffic on I-35 it can easily be two hours away each way.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks guys. You guys say one or two hours like that's a long drive. Come to So Cal some time, that's a drive around the block :)

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Brad, You are welcome to join me as my guest at Arlington Sportsman Club while you are here, PM me for my cell and we'll work out the details. We have 4-5 stations set up as Super Sporting, and 12 stations in all. I think it is a cool little private club with some challenging stations and a good variety of presentations. I will even pick you up and drop you off at your hotel.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark