It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fitasc stuff
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Ancient Oak was something - the wind blew from a different direction each of the 4 days - and then there was that rain.........one day the targets were SK/IC; the next they were IM/F -glad you enjoyed it.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:45 pm 
Limited Edition

CurtisLinder wrote:
Am very spoiled and lucky. FITASC happens to be my favorite discipline in the clay target shooting sports and my home club – the Northbrook Sports Club – offers 50 FITASC targets at each of our monthly registered shoots – along with the 100-target Sporting main, and 50 Five Stand targets. When I can shoot all of those 200 targets – that makes for the best day of the month. And our two FITASC parcours remain available for casual shooting and practice each day the club is open. Until course closures for resetting the Friday before next month’s Reggie.

What I like most about FITASC are the rituals and rules. That chalk line on my vest or jacket - I wear that like a badge. And I seem to be wired better for FITASC – to focus on Just. That. Target. The FITASC referees I’ve encountered at Northbrook know the rules, are always very friendly, enjoy what they are doing, and this is important – they understand their role and importance during the shoot. All in a way that exudes calmness while making the experience pleasant. What I am saying is – without refs – it’s not FITASC and when I’m in the hoop the refs I’ve “shot with” never make it about them. I don’t recall ever encountering an issue.

I was lucky to have a shooting pal introduce me to FITASC a few years ago. It was an epiphany. And I’ve felt a certain responsibility to introduce others to FITASC.

Kudos for this post. Parcours de Chasse is THE game. Northbrook does it well and at a reasonable price.The only flaw is that the French oversee the discipline.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:40 am 
Presentation Grade

Pardon MOI! It is their game!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:11 pm 
Field Grade

CamsPapa wrote:
Welcoming shooters to my peg or Parcours with a smile and a friendly word is something I do without fail. I believe that you can be an exceptional referee, while enforcing the myriad rules that are FITASC in a friendly, polite, professional, and efficient manner. I’ve found that the young and new shooters that I’ve guided through their first attempts at FITASC thank me for my help and greet me with a smile when we see each other again.

You can be firm and enforce the rules without being insulting, or worse, condescending. This is an expensive game we participate in and a referee that takes him/herself too seriously can leave a bad taste for the game and the hosting club - never a good thing.

In general, we referees have the privilege of associating with some of the finest folks anywhere. There will always be shooters and refs with a permanent chip on their shoulders, and everyone has an occasional bad day, but by and large most of the shooters and fellow referees I encounter are genuinely good folks who enjoy this game and want those around them to enjoy it as well.

Andy Harrell is a credit to FITASC. He has a great personality and makes everyone feel welcome. That is not to say that he does not enforce the rules. He knows them and enforces as required.

FITASC is my favorite Clays game and the majority of those who ref the game make it a great experience.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:19 pm 
Field Grade

391TODT11 wrote:
oneounceload wrote:
391TODT11 wrote:
I think I have shot FITASC 4-5 times and actually find it to be a blas. All the refs have been great including Mr. oneounceload. It is great fun and I recommend everyone shoot it. The rules are not difficult and I do not get why people cannot read and follow them.

I don't know where you had me as a ref, but I hope I did a good job for you and your squad.

I believe it may have been at the FL State shoot at Ancient Oak (first FITASC for me) and again at the FL state shoot at Bradford. I recall you being cordial and professional. Very enjoyable. Only one warning for this newbie when I started to pre-mount the gun....old habits.

Shot the FITASC last weekend at the Gator Cup and thoroughly enjoyed it. Fantastic new setting at Quail Creek and great birds!

i, too, shot FITASC at the Gator Cup last weekend. Doug Vine set a great layout over four Parcour. Every one of the referees did a superlative job. As I shoot the discipline more around the US, I'm getting to know the refs. Great group of committed professionals.

If you haven't shot FITASC because you feel it is "rules" heavy or scary, give it a try. You will truly enjoy the experience. If you want to learn more about the game, approach your local teaching professional about a FITASC lesson.

Craig

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:39 am 
Field Grade

jcraig3 wrote:
CamsPapa wrote:
Welcoming shooters to my peg or Parcours with a smile and a friendly word is something I do without fail. I believe that you can be an exceptional referee, while enforcing the myriad rules that are FITASC in a friendly, polite, professional, and efficient manner. I’ve found that the young and new shooters that I’ve guided through their first attempts at FITASC thank me for my help and greet me with a smile when we see each other again.

You can be firm and enforce the rules without being insulting, or worse, condescending. This is an expensive game we participate in and a referee that takes him/herself too seriously can leave a bad taste for the game and the hosting club - never a good thing.

In general, we referees have the privilege of associating with some of the finest folks anywhere. There will always be shooters and refs with a permanent chip on their shoulders, and everyone has an occasional bad day, but by and large most of the shooters and fellow referees I encounter are genuinely good folks who enjoy this game and want those around them to enjoy it as well.

Andy Harrell is a credit to FITASC. He has a great personality and makes everyone feel welcome. That is not to say that he does not enforce the rules. He knows them and enforces as required.

FITASC is my favorite Clays game and the majority of those who ref the game make it a great experience.

Thank you for your kind words, Craig. Hope to see you in France this summer if not before.

NSCA Life Member
National FITASC Referee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:02 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

FITASC is the best clay target game ever invented. I like most of the rules. Some seem stupid though. Yeas, it does take longer to shoot a 100 FITASC targets but it does cost more so I don't mind unless there are a lot of problems. I really enjoy the difficulty of the target in FITASC. This just makes me work harder.

Mike McAlpine

On the other hand, everyone to his on likes and dislikes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:27 pm 
Field Grade

Fitasc is great because it’s about the targets and not the quantity. And the quality of the targets is almost always top notch. I’m lucky to be able to shoot fitasc at northbrook. Sporting clays can become a bore when you are shooting 4 pairs or having to just keep repeating that pair. Full use of guns on the single, and really it’s a brotherhood. I’ve had some good fitasc shoots and winning punches in those events meant more to me then anything I’ve won in prior shoots. Fitasc will be my number one focus this season and I’m looking forward to the wisconsin and illionis state fitasc shoot, plus the fiochi 500 at northbrook

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Member
Regarde l'oiseau

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have only ever shoot FITASC at Northbrook, my local club in TX doesn't throw it. I think my second time to shoot FITASC was the Illionis State shoot, it was a brutal day for me, but being the masochist that I am I loved it. I think the shooting itself is the best you can find in the clay sports. I think the god awful waiting that happens with a full 6 man group makes it brutal, thus if I have limited time I pick super sporting over FITASC.

I think getting to look at all the singles from every hoop when the hoops are all within 20ft of each other is just silly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:37 pm 
Crown Grade

If your hoops are withing 20' of each other, that is a poor set up. 20 yards is something different.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:54 pm 
Field Grade

I’m a big fan when the hoops are a really far distance apart, as mentioned that changes everything about that single. I’ve had a 40 curling incomer become a 60 crossing curling and dropping target.

I’d rather shoot fitasc over anything, same thing with five stand, and super sporting is also one of my favorites

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Member
Regarde l'oiseau

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:11 am 
Crown Grade

It depends on the presentations, heights, angles and exactly what direction that 20 feet between pegs takes you. A target setter who really knows how to take advantage of terrain can offer a very wide variety of presentations and an extreme challenge in a very compact space, without a single stupid hard, eye test or short window target.

For example, I've worked many, many parcours set by Pat Lieske where the hoops are all within a 50-foot line, with very few perfect scores... and lots of head-scratching as folks stumble away, stunned and confused.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:25 am 
Field Grade

I wish I would have shot that Grand Prix at Pat Lieske's place last year. I was unable to go due to some scheduling conflicts, however I heard nothing but great things about that shoot.

My goal this year is too shoot more fitasc then anything.

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Member
Regarde l'oiseau

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:39 pm 
Field Grade

I thought FITASC was for shooters who want to participate in a formal international sport with regulated targets of medium difficulty rather than the stuff that is all over the place, that we see in the more informal English Sporting. I’m all confused now

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:09 pm 
Crown Grade

You would be incorrect to some degree. The rules for FITASC spell out ideal target ratios as pertains to degree of difficulty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:54 pm 
Site Sponsor

FITASC Sporting and Compak is my most satisfying clay target games and why I am in Europe every year and some times in Africa. It is NOT a French game as one of the founding members was the US. It is HQ in Paris as most International sports are due to the legalese. If someone wants the history of FITASC, I have it. PM me with you email. I could email you the history.
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:23 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Henry,

I thought I posted this but maybe not. I would really like the history of FITASC. As you may know, I am a history buff, especially when it comes to the clay target displinies.

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:08 am 
Limited Edition

J2hapydna wrote:
I thought FITASC was for shooters who want to participate in a formal international sport with regulated targets of medium difficulty rather than the stuff that is all over the place, that we see in the more informal English Sporting. I’m all confused now

English Sporting is a formal international sport just as much as FITASC is.