It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PATTERN STOCK BY JIM GREENWOOD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Last Friday I spent the day with Jim to make a pattern stock for my Blaser F3 at Will Fennells' shooting school in Sharon, S.C. It started with a meet and great and a hunk of wood that was roughed out to slightly resemble a stock. I watched the entire stock from start to finish. I had never watched this any where before and was in awe of this master craftsmen. After initial fitting and finally after lunch I shot my gun. Then back in the shop and more grinding, rasping, etc.. This went on for a while and 75 rounds later Jim was applying the finish.
Next day I spent a couple of hours with Will to make sure Jim had done his job (LOL). Man, what a difference. I was smoking targets where in the past I chipped or missed. Not saying that I can hit them all but Jim's work certainly made shooting easier and a great deal more fun.
I'm posting this to thank Jim and to let people know he is back in business since he suffered that terrible fire. Also to remind folks that Will and Elizabeth are beginning to have a 1st class operation. Heck, once grass is growing it Will Be First Class :D .
Thanks again Jim {hs#

NSCA Life Member #534119
John Weaver

Post subject: Re: PATTERN STOCK BY JIM GREENWOOD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:15 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Your mail made my day. Jim Greenwood is a great stock maker and a super nice guy. I also count him as a friend too. I am so happy that he is back making stocks and wish him the best. I also wish Will and his wife great success with their club. Will has been in our sport for many years and he has my respect too.

Mike McAlpine
The Clay Target Academy

Two great guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

This thread is worthless without pictures!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Good to hear Jim is back in business.

#MMUSOpen2019 #TheForkUSOpen2021 #marist89ForAC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:09 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

cbra,

I thought the post was excellent in the fact that I found out that Jim Greenwood is back in business. If you would like pictures (I assume the stock made) contact Jim. I bet he would have a lot of pictures of his work. In my opinion he is a master of his trade. He has been in business for many years which tells me that he must be doing something right. I think your comment was a little out of line but I guess it's your right to post it. {hs#

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Jim Greenwood is an artist! His clientele list pretty much says it all. Period. New paragraph.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

I should have put a smiley in my post. I know the OP. We shot at the same venue on Sunday. I didn't get to see his gun though. He is still in the pattern stock phase. My post was tongue in cheek but didn't convey through the interwebs. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Mike McAlpine wrote:
cbra,

I thought the post was excellent in the fact that I found out that Jim Greenwood is back in business. If you would like pictures (I assume the stock made) contact Jim. I bet he would have a lot of pictures of his work. In my opinion he is a master of his trade. He has been in business for many years which tells me that he must be doing something right. I think your comment was a little out of line but I guess it's your right to post it. {hs#

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That’s cool. It is great to hear that Jim is back to work. It’s also very nice that you took the time to spread the good word.

We will all be eagerly awaiting some pictures too!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

Mike,

"This thread is worthless without pictures" is used all the time on Internet forums without rancor. It means that the person is so interested in the topic that he wants to see more. It's not really meant to say the topic is without value -- just a bit of an inside joke.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Jim has made 3 stocks for me so far, two for my pair of Browning Golds and a try stock for my K-80/RT, which is close to being declaired tried and proven. When that happens, time for the final product. I will put the try stock on my backup RT receiver. +100 for Jim Greenwood!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:59 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Gold, and cbra,

I guess I am just a little defensive when it comes to Jim Greenwood. The lost of his business that took a lifetime in building was a great tragedy in my mind. The picture comment is something that I didn't understand. I am not too smart on a computer but I do have loyalty and don't like rude people. Please forgive my ignorance. I was honest is what I thought was happening. I don't have any pictures in this reply so I guess it is worthless. :lol: {hs# But I do know how to used the smiley faces. :P

Mike McAlpine

Thank you for setting me straight about this.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

gunner63 wrote:
Last Friday I spent the day with Jim to make a pattern stock for my Blaser F3 at Will Fennells' shooting school in Sharon, S.C. It started with a meet and great and a hunk of wood that was roughed out to slightly resemble a stock. I watched the entire stock from start to finish. I had never watched this any where before and was in awe of this master craftsmen. After initial fitting and finally after lunch I shot my gun. Then back in the shop and more grinding, rasping, etc.. This went on for a while and 75 rounds later Jim was applying the finish.
Next day I spent a couple of hours with Will to make sure Jim had done his job (LOL). Man, what a difference. I was smoking targets where in the past I chipped or missed. Not saying that I can hit them all but Jim's work certainly made shooting easier and a great deal more fun.
I'm posting this to thank Jim and to let people know he is back in business since he suffered that terrible fire. Also to remind folks that Will and Elizabeth are beginning to have a 1st class operation. Heck, once grass is growing it Will Be First Class :D .
Thanks again Jim {hs#

Pics or it didn't happen!!!! :mrgreen:

Yes, Mike this too is a common internet phrase, usually expressing enthusiasm.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Great job at the Valentine with that new stock!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

cbradford wrote:
I should have put a smiley in my post. I know the OP. We shot at the same venue on Sunday. I didn't get to see his gun though. He is still in the pattern stock phase. My post was tongue in cheek but didn't convey through the interwebs. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Mike McAlpine wrote:
cbra,

Mike McAlpine

Cory, no big deal. I didn't post pics since it is a pattern stock and certainly not looking anything like a finished product. I will be shooting this for good while before I make the investment in the finished stock. That will be entirely different in looks. Then if you want I might post those pictures. It may also take a while to convince the wife it is necessary :lol: :roll:

NSCA Life Member #534119
John Weaver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

gunner63 wrote:
cbradford wrote:

Mike McAlpine wrote:
cbra,

Mike McAlpine

Cory, no big deal. I didn't post pics since it is a pattern stock and certainly not looking anything like a finished product. I will be shooting this for good while before I make the investment in the finished stock. That will be entirely different in looks. Then if you want I might post those pictures. It may also take a while to convince the wife it is necessary :lol: :roll:

You don't need a finish stock because it will fit just like the pattern. However, you do deserve one because Jim's finish pieces are works of art.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Generally speaking you want a pattern stock as ugly as you can get away with so your customer doesn’t decide to just keep it. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

Oh, don’t you worry, gunner will get the finished wood — and it will take our breath away when it comes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

dcblvsh2 wrote:
Generally speaking you want a pattern stock as ugly as you can get away with so your customer doesn’t decide to just keep it. :)

There isn't one that ugly.

Smooth it out, nice gloss paint job and clear coat to cover the Bondo, and you have the perfect excuse for buying iron to build a backup gun that fits just like the primary.:wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:04 pm 
Crown Grade

mwr01 wrote:
dcblvsh2 wrote:

There isn't one that ugly.

Smooth it out, nice gloss paint job and clear coat to cover the Bondo, and you have the perfect excuse for buying iron to build a backup gun that fits just like the primary.:wink:

Never seen a Greenwood pattern with bondo. Only seen solid wood.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There’s one on his website right now that has bondo on it.