It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shotkam
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:50 am 
Field Grade

May i ask how you view the shotkam results on the course ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:57 am 
Tournament Grade

IPhone or Android. Download the App for either one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Or better yet download it to an iPad.

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife

Krieghoff K 80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:52 am 
Presentation Grade

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:
Or better yet download it to an iPad.

With the built in wifi can bystanders view in real time ? Would make for excellent POV instruction.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:18 am 
Tournament Grade

I don't think so. I believe the shot has to downloaded to your phone then you play it back after the shot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:08 am 
Field Grade

McFarmer if the spectators have the same the app and are linked to the same shotkam they too could pickup the ShotKams images. I heard somewhere where a FL instructor uses the shotkam that way..... I personally have never tried it personally.

Call Emily at ShotKam she is extremely helpful and knowledgable on this product.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:33 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks for that. I did talk to her when I ordered, she picked up the phone after hours and was very helpful.

I would think having an experienced shooter shooting a student's gun and having the student looking at the iPad while the shot was being made would be helpful on hold point, lead, follow though and such.

I'm debating about having the crosshairs match the bead or the POI for the gun. On a field gun it wouldn't be much difference. Maybe the 2019 version will allow for both. Could just be a software upgrade.

Anyway, it looks like it will be fun to experiment with.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:45 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Having some one else do it, does not put it into your brain, and it may discourage a newbie who cannot replicate it

Watching people is helpful, especially on timing, but you must do it to get it

Everyone is unique, what you see and I see are never the same. Ask anyone who sees lead at the clay, it they ever tried to teach someone who sees lead at the barrel? :shock:

Roger

Phone 813-907-7340
Check out our E-books on Amazon here
http://www.rogergascoigneshootingcoach.com/books.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:10 pm 
Field Grade

I have had both the old version and newer version of the ShotKam and liked them both. I am not able so see where I miss unless I'm well above or below the line, but I do see what a good sight picture looks like when the bird breaks. It's also very helpful in showing problems in your mount and in your swing path. It showed me that I was not shooting Maintained nearly as often as I thought I was; much of the time it was Swing Thru. Also, very clear skies like you would typically have in So Cal, Arizona or New Mexico make it difficult to see how the bird is moving across the sky. Cloudy skies yield much more information.
Lou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

veezer wrote:
Mike McAlpine wrote:
Putting tape over the ports will not help unless it is some type of tape that is super strong. When I was NSCA Chief Instructor I did a demonstration in all my schools of the danger of the blast from the ports. I did this by putting tape over them. When I pulled the trigger the tape disintegrated. A person can really do a lot of damage by hand tightening the choke with the gun loaded and closed. Please don't tell me that shooters don't do this because I have seen hundreds of them do this. I know, it is stupid but some people just don't think!!!! I had a vascular surgeon who was terrible about doing this. I taped his fingers one day and then asked him if he could perform surgery like this. I agreed that he couldn't and quit doing this.

Mike McAlpine
The Clay Target Academy

As far as the ShotKam. I started to add that while you can see your miss you still may not be able to figure out why you missed or how to fix the problem. I let roger and Duck steel my glory. :lol: I told you the both are great coaches!!!!!

On another subject, someone on a different thread said that I don't make myself clear on my post and replies and that people misunderstand what I am trying to say. This is a first for me. Normally my students tell me that they like the way I describe different things and that I am easy to understand. If you are one of the people who don't understand my post, replies or articles please let me know. I was a salesman for many years and was told that my communication skills were great. I will try to do better.

OK, you asked, so I'll try to help...

In your first paragraph above, you ungracefully switch subjects: from tape over ports to tightening chokes. It has to be read more than once to be comprehended. You should have at least used some kind of transitive word or phrase (e.g., "Another problem, ....") to let the reader know you were changing the subject, and better still would have started a new paragraph too.
There are books that teach writing skills. Anybody who wants to write books and articles needs to learn how to write. What seems clear in a person's mind doesn't always translate to the printed page.

The very first rule of writing -vital in this age of autocorrect- is to always proof read what you wrote.

Poor spelling and grammar convey an unflattering image of the writer. Your message has a better chance of getting across if you have the reader's respect.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

Mike McAlpine wrote:
vee,

Sorry but to me it makes perfect sense. I just carried my comment to how a person reaching up to tighten his choke could be hurt. This in my opinion ties right in with the tape over the ports. This entire paragraph was really about safety. I used the first sentence as a lead in to the danger of the blast from the ports. While I admit my perfect English may be lacking but this is a forum not English class. I will try to do better but I doubt that I can. Thanks for the input. I never take offence to people correcting me as long as they do in a polite way.

Mike McAlpine

It's that plain Texas English, isn't it Mike? :lol: Your post made sense and unless you're writing for ESL students. I'm not terribly sure how you would word it clearer. So don't beat yourself up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:43 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

black,

Thanks for the reply. I always try to present the facts and sometimes my experiences on a subject. Shotgun Sports Magazine very seldom changes any of my text when editing my articles. Of course I do try to check my articles very carefully. As for something I post on SGW, I usually don't spend too much time checking it other than spelling and I always read what I have posted to make sure it makes sense to me. As with my comment in question, I was continuing a comment that someone made about putting tape over the ports when using the Shot Kam. I wasn't trying to answer any other reply on the subject. This may be why my reply didn't make sense to some. I do try but as I often mention I am not a professional writer. I also wanted to stress safety when dealing with a ported shotgun.

Mike McAlpine

Thanks for backing me up. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:05 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

We just finished three weeks of advanced classes at 74 ranch and we used the ShotKam extensively and all shooters benefited from using it.

Canting gun is obvious

How you are letting the shot come together is obvious

Muzzle speed as the shot takes place is obvious

It brings perception and reality together

Not for a beginner and for more advanced shooters it really shines.

Had two master shooters who are Tournment winners find something that will really improve their games.

One consistently has had trouble with right to left tower target when high off the ground where no horizon existed. With ShotKam he realized that he was pulling away ever so slightly as he triggered the shot. It was so subtle I could not see it. It became obvious with ShotKam another master shooter thought they were matching gun and target speed and ShotKam showed that the lead was calapsing the whole time Again both shooters had such a perfect move it was virtually impossible to detect without ShotKam. It is not so much what the lead is but how the shot comes together that yields consistency and for our shooters ShotKam is a very benifitial tool.

We have 5,000 + ShotKam shots on our Knowledge Vault website and shooters are looking at them before they practice or before a tournament and are telling us that it is easier for them to visualize the movie of the shot coming together and they are shooting better scores with less practice.

The same thing happens on our Argentina trips for doves and pigeons. Duck hunters who are looking at the Duck kill shot reviews are telling us they are killing their limit with 6-8 shots instead of 12-18 shots.

If you order ShotKam from our web site of mention us as a Referal ShotKam will send you a round headed screw driver that makes ShotKam install so much easier and faster.

Last edited by Gil Ash on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

Gil Ash wrote:
Dick kill shot

SAY IT AINT SO!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:38 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

At least I know you read it all. !!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:32 pm 
Limited Edition

Gil Ash wrote:
At least I know you read it all. !!!!

:lol: :lol: That was one of the funniest things I've read on a forum in a long time

PS, I'm 100% with you on the value of video review that shows the shot coming together. There are valuable subtleties one would never pick up any other way.

Luddites will be Luddites

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp2RcqxwpGkrwvCeySn8drg/[URL]

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp2Rcq ... vCeySn8drg

Here's a link to some of my Shotkam vids. I have some complete courses linked together in my playlists.

One of the first issues I found is that I was not reading the line on dropping shots correctly. Most of the time I was pulling the gun straight down even if the clay was drifting or curling left or right slightly as it approached the ground. I had missed a lot of dropping shots due to this and never knew why until I saw it in a vid.

I agree with Gil in that the videos have also shown me how important shot timing and having a smooth swing is. Many times the videos show my lead pulling away or diminishing just as I take the shot, the bird still breaks. But, when I pace the bird correctly all the way through the trigger pull the breaks are much harder.

I have really enjoyed the Shotkam. The automatic editing takes the vast majority of the work out of reviewing your shots. The main issue I have had is poor video quality against barren trees in the background. I'm looking forward to shooting while the trees are full green. My video quality should drastically increase.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:28 am 
Limited Edition

cbradford wrote:
One of the first issues I found is that I was not reading the line on dropping shots correctly. Most of the time I was pulling the gun straight down even if the clay was drifting or curling left or right slightly as it approached the ground. I had missed a lot of dropping shots due to this and never knew why until I saw it in a vid.

And this is why I disagree with those who say that video only shows you where you missed and that you must have someone else tell you why.

Last edited by JER2 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

When I was missing the targets at the club I was sure I was giving them enough lead.

When I looked at the videos I could see that I was behind. Easy fix. Give it more lead.

I broke the targets and nobody had to tell me.

Showing where you missed is the most important part. IMO

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife

Krieghoff K 80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:41 am 
Presentation Grade

I guess I'll find out myself soon enough but does the action of loading a pump or auto have enough movement to start the video ?

I see in the one video the fellow slaps the gun to start it. I'd feel kind of silly adding that to my pre-mount ritual.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next