It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Upland Hunt Club tournament
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:26 am 
Limited Edition

It was a fine Saturday in March at Upland Hunt Club near Rockford, Illinois. Full sun, very light wind and 40 degree temps allowed this cold handed shooter to leave his gloves in the bag. Dan did a nice job of playing with your eyes by utilizing hills, trees and power lines. He set an excellent driven target that kept chips off shooters but also penalized them for falling in love with the flight of the approaching target. Experience shooting doves sure paid off on this station. My squad only experienced one holdup due to a cord issue and that was promptly swapped out. A great day at a nice club.

The parking lot was full and I expect that will be repeated Sunday. Upland offers 2-100 target competitions utilizing “black” and “green” stations as well as allowing the courses to be shot on either Saturday or Sunday. Lots of options to make the competitive shooter happy.

Post subject: Re: The Upland Hunt Club tournament
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:44 am 
Diamond Grade

Thanks for the heads up.

Sounds like a good club that puts forth the effort to have an enjoyable competition. I'll be doing some travelling for upland hunts and clays and will make a mental note of this club.

The "Green" and "Black" courses are of varying difficulty I presume... or just different but equally difficult? Do the shooters have the option to enter separate competitions on either course over a two day period? That is an interesting concept I have not seen used in my area except when the prelim is offered on a different day from the main event.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:26 am 
Presentation Grade

Grouse Gunner wrote:
The "Green" and "Black" courses are of varying difficulty I presume... or just different but equally difficult? Do the shooters have the option to enter separate competitions on either course over a two day period?

Same targets, different stands. Everybody shoots the course from one set of stations, then those who shoot the second 100 shoot the same targets from the second set of stations.

You can't shoot the second set without shooting the other set first. And you can't shoot both courses simultaneously (though you could on a practice round).

Sounds more complex than it is and it works well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:34 am 
Tournament Grade

The driven target was fun but our whole squad got hit with target pieces, my action is full of orange paint from a stray piece of target. I do enjoy the format, it is an easy way to shoot 200 targets. Dan also had a 5-stand that was well done.

NSCA # 630162

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:36 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks for the compliment smoke had a good turn out so I must be doing some things right.
Can't take credit for the power lines must have just happened.
Andy sorry about the pieces just trying to use presentations we dont get to see much of.
Still.new at this and am learning more every shoot I always will try to the best of my ability

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

No worries Dan, it’s not the first time I have been hit by target shrapnel. I appreciate the driven target since we don’t get to shoot them often. See ya next month.

NSCA # 630162