Why no Calcutta’s in sporting clays?

Post subject: Re: Calcutta
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:07 am 
Limited Edition

Imagevia Imgflip GIF Maker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:17 am 
Presentation Grade

A lot of fun. Detroit Gun Club use to do it. One time nobody bought me, I bought myself back and I won. Like to see this again. Basically it takes a two day shoot. Bet on the shooter second day....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:22 am 
Crown Grade

There are still Calcutta's at some sporting clay events.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:53 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I always played the Calcutta when shooting handicap trap. Everyone as an individual had a chance to win. Won a little over $10,000 one time at a state shoot. It is hard to hold a Calcutta in sporting because of classes. There is not a good way to handicap sporting shooters like trap. I have actually ran a few Calcutta's in my time. The most fun was at Colorado Clays during the state shoot. I was the auctioneer. There were teams made up of the shooters. We took the top shooter and the bottom shooter and put them as a team using their totals scores. We the went down the line doing the same. Nearly always a middle team won. In this case I was trying to run up the prices on some of these teams and ended up buying them. I bought, I believe three teams (from the middle of the pack) and believe it or not my teams finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Talk about being lucky.

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

ya know what though.....I just want to go to a well run place, pay a fair price for good targets and shoot. My preferance is morning and afternoon events....150 or 200 targets. a decent lunch to go along with it is a bonus.

I like to shoot and would rather put my money into the shooting than an added gambling twist.

I have no issue with others liking it but its just not my thing.

Benelli SBE 2
Beretta 303
Browning Auto 5 light 20
Release Triggers by Phillip's Gunsmithing

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:57 pm 
Crown Grade

dpe2002 wrote:
ya know what though.....I just want to go to a well run place, pay a fair price for good targets and shoot. My preferance is morning and afternoon events....150 or 200 targets. a decent lunch to go along with it is a bonus.

I like to shoot and would rather put my money into the shooting than an added gambling twist.

Then you need to escape the cold and shoot at Bradford here in FL - they offer exactly what you mentioned.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:02 pm 
Limited Edition

dpe2002 wrote:

I have no issue with others liking it but its just not my thing

+1

I wouldn't waste time or money participating on a calcutta or any other bet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:32 am 
Diamond Grade

oneounceload wrote:
dpe2002 wrote:

Then you need to escape the cold and shoot at Bradford here in FL - they offer exactly what you mentioned.

Very tempting for sure with what the weather pattern has been here the last 10 day’s. 22 inches of snow yesterday and today following the 14-16 we had last week and talk is for another system coming in middle of next week.

If my home club can dig out this week we have 150 targets planned for Saturday

From now to early May I am attending seafood blast and ruger championship plus several other one and two day events that should stack up about 2000 registered targets and be lots of fun. Visiting my grand kids and daughter in Virginia after my stop at M&M so good days ahead. This snow crap won’t keep me down

Benelli SBE 2
Beretta 303
Browning Auto 5 light 20
Release Triggers by Phillip's Gunsmithing

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:00 pm 
Utility Grade

We will be having a Calcutta at the Kiwanis club fundraiser for college scholarships on April, 14 at Big Red Oak Plantation this year.
Last year we had 42 shooters and we Calcutta auctioned off the top ten shooters for a miss and out sudden death shoot off at the five stand. The tenth placed shooter from the morning sporting clays event ended up winning a $770.oo pot that was split with the bidder who bought him.
This year we are already over 100 shooters, so the Calcutta has been upped to the top 13 shooters from the morning sporting clays event. We expect the winner should take home a lot more than last year.
There is an announcement on this forum for our shoot with all information.
Or you can PM me.
Thanks

Charlie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

JER2 wrote:
dpe2002 wrote:

I have no issue with others liking it but its just not my thing

+1

I wouldn't waste time or money participating on a calcutta or any other bet.

Yeah, but in trap tournaments, they have to have some side action to keep everyone from falling asleep. Besides, if they miss a target or two early in the match, they're just shooting expensive practice the rest of the tournament anyway, so they have to have something to add interest and excitement. Winning a wad of money on someone else's shooting is one way to do that. :D :D

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:46 am 
Crown Grade

Quote:
Winning a wad of money on someone else's shooting is one way to do that. :D :D

Called pigeon shooting.......... :wink:

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:21 am 
Crown Grade

dpe2002 wrote:

Things like that are called options for a reason.