It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:44 pm 
Crown Grade

I was in Phoenix last week at a pistol match, and instead of paper and pencil they use tablets for scoring. They had the scores up literally 5 minutes after the last person shot.

Since there's no tabulating (the scoring software does it all), the scores were done effortlessly.

Can you geezers remind me again why this can't possibly work for sporting clays :)

Post subject: Re: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:58 am 
Crown Grade

Of course it can work for Sporting Clays.
Like everything, it's a matter of time and money... or maybe just money.

Money for tablets, one for each referee (do we want to loan these out for score-your-own events?), time for training. Money for a programmer, time to code, set up, test, de-bug the system?

It wouldn't be hard to set this up, in fact there is an old geezer typing on my computer right now who could do it well. But there's no way he would do it for free, and it would certainly not be done overnight.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

And you don't have to do any of that with a pencil. :lol:

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife

Krieghoff K 80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:18 am 
Crown Grade

Is the investment by the club going to produce a positive return in a reasonable amount of time? Does the club have reliable internet/wi fi reception on the course? Some shooters have a hard time with paper and pencil. You should see what the paper score cards look like when they are turned in. How much time is a club willing to spend training people to use tablets? Some struggle with pushing the buttons.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:16 am 
Crown Grade

lt0026 wrote:
Some shooters have a hard time with paper and pencil.

^^^THIS !!

lt0026 wrote:
Some struggle with pushing the buttons.

^^^ and THIS !!

It's not rocket surgery for most but for some it is.

NSCA #551026

FORUMS are for ENTERTAINMENT ONLY. They don't teach shooting!

{RO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:29 am 
Crown Grade

lt0026 wrote:
Is the investment by the club going to produce a positive return in a reasonable amount of time? Does the club have reliable internet/wi fi reception on the course? Some shooters have a hard time with paper and pencil. You should see what the paper score cards look like when they are turned in. How much time is a club willing to spend training people to use tablets? Some struggle with pushing the buttons.

That's what I'm talking about :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:31 am 
Crown Grade

Eriehunter wrote:
lt0026 wrote:
Some shooters have a hard time with paper and pencil.

^^^THIS !!

lt0026 wrote:
Some struggle with pushing the buttons.

^^^ and THIS !!

It's not rocket surgery for most but for some it is.
And yet you put loaded guns in their hands. :shock:

(Warning: To those that read my posts.)
I don't shoot registered targets so what could I possibly know or have to offer?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:49 am 
Crown Grade

The only thing I have seen put on the course recently with a quick ROI is counters. Clubs cut down on target loss by 70%. Allowing people to throw targets on the honor system with no counters was an azz kicker for clubs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:50 am 
Crown Grade

Golfers use electronic scoring, bowlers use electronic scoring, but those guys are much smarter than us :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:51 am 
Crown Grade

"And yet you put loaded guns in their hands." :shock:

Only after they sign a waiver.

Last edited by lt0026 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:53 am 
Crown Grade

ysr_racer wrote:
Golfers use electronic scoring, bowlers use electronic scoring, but those guys are much smarter than us :)

Pro golfers use pencil and paper and must sign a score card. Watch at the end of a hole you will see the golfer mark a score. They also have electronic and manual back up. Pro golf has much more $$$ than SC's will ever have. Pro golf also tracks every shot in the tournament by laser.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:03 am 
Crown Grade

Not enough $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. The end.

If it’s such a hot topic for you, make it your life’s work to get this massive wrong righted Brad. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:10 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Some people always have an entitlement they want OTHER people's money for especially for fools from California

Practicality,
How many stations at your Pistol Match?

How Many scorers?

Were they spread out over 300 acres?

I would rather buy more traps or Toilets for the pleasure of customers than satisfy the whiny needs of some NSCA shooters who are basically only 5% of my business

Were you ever in any business with your own money?

Phone 813-907-7340
Check out our E-books on Amazon here
http://www.rogergascoigneshootingcoach.com/books.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:20 am 
Crown Grade

Well said Roger. It’s an apples to oranges comparison he’s trying to make.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:42 am 
Tournament Grade

Brad's sole purpose in life is to be half way up everyone's nose

How many of regular readers have him blocked, add one now

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:57 am 
Presentation Grade

Hmmm how about an app? Maybe someone like the NSSF? Could be linked back to the clubhouse main computer. Hey Brad Jim Porters Young guns must have some talent that could design it and make something like US$0.95 each to download. There is a way?

"I instruct to break targets...I coach to compete".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:34 am 
Presentation Grade

Docterduck wrote:
Hmmm how about an app? Maybe someone like the NSSF? Could be linked back to the clubhouse main computer. Hey Brad Jim Porters Young guns must have some talent that could design it and make something like US$0.95 each to download. There is a way?

A couple Apps exist already. ClayTracker, for example. It currently isn’t something you can link to a Master scoresheet, but that’s pretty simple too. If I were Winscore, ScorePro, IClays, or another shoot management service and wanted to stay ahead of the curve, I’d be looking into figuring out how to integrate something similar.

If it’s an App, there is little or no hardware (cost) needed. Most Trappers/Shooters already own all the equipment needed, if they own a cell phone.

Ignore the Luddites, Brad.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:43 am 
Crown Grade

There’s simply not enough demand (need or want) from the shooters to justify the expense of putting it together. Not at 99.999% of the shoots in this country every week.

I do see it having some value at the biggest shoots, but the fact is it’s not needed at the average weekly or monthly fun shoot. At least not enough to justify the expense. Especially since tha vast majority of shoots are squad scored....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:43 am 
Crown Grade

lt0026 wrote:
"And yet you put loaded guns in their hands." :shock:

Only after they sign a waiver.
Yup. That will make an injured party or their family feel better.

(Warning: To those that read my posts.)
I don't shoot registered targets so what could I possibly know or have to offer?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:53 am 
Crown Grade

We are a mid sized but rapidly growing construction and EPC company.

We have been giving all of our key field leads iPad Pro’s with the digital pencils for a few years now. And we’ve got some proprietary software where they do most of their work on daily. Safety meetings, RFI and Change Order Requests, crane requests, daily reports, cost tracking, etc.

On an RFI for example, they can take a picture of the work area; add notes and dimensions with the digital pencil, hit a drop down menu and bring up unit costs and quickly work up an estimate. Then hit send and a copy goes to the client’s PM and any other authorized signer, and lets say to the engineering firm’s PM. A copy goes to the cloud for permanent documentation.

Most of our competitors and even some of the mega firms still use paper. Which may take 3 days to go from the job site to a truck, to someone at an office who enters the info in a computer.

Our clients love it; it saves us money; really eliminates unnecessary change orders and the like.

For what Brad is suggesting, there are a lot of much cheaper tablets that could work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next