It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Point proven.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

Whatsuuuup! wrote:
The problem with an idiot is they don't know that they are an idiot.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

"I instruct to break targets...I coach to compete".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

Shooters would learn to use e-scoring if the technology were in place, but the clubs have no real incentive to install it. There would be a costs of installation and maintenance to pass on to shooters who are already complaining about target prices.

Rapid posting of results might be of value to at least some registered shooters, but likely of zero interest to the recreational folks who make up the vast majority of most clubs’ business. Why would a club owner bother?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

An app and a smart phone synced with the clubhouse is really all it would take.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Docterduck wrote:

Don't forget cellular service.. In our area, about 50#% of the clubs have little or no service on large parts of the course.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

jtw wrote:
Docterduck wrote:

Don't forget cellular service.. In our area, about 50#% of the clubs have little or no service on large parts of the course.

No doubt about that. Over time the service will be better. Just sayin is all.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

Technical issues are secondary to the question: when the vast majority of customers don’t care, why would a club owner bother?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:09 pm 
Crown Grade

You guys crack me up. I worked for Pacific Telesis, PacTel Cellular, Air Touch Cellular, Vodafone, and Verizon. In the old days people told me, who's going to pay $1200 for a mobile phone, when they can just put a dime in a pay phone. They're on every corner.

Glad I didn't listen to them :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

mwr01 wrote:
Technical issues are secondary to the question: when the vast majority of customers don’t care, why would a club owner bother?

With sufficient thrust, a pig can be made to fly.. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

jtw wrote:
mwr01 wrote:

But as every artilleryman learns, trajectory can be problematic :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

mwr01 wrote:
jtw wrote:
mwr01 wrote:

But as every artilleryman learns, trajectory can be problematic :wink:

Add 100 and fire for effect.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:36 pm 
Crown Grade

ysr_racer wrote:
You guys crack me up. I worked for Pacific Telesis, PacTel Cellular, Air Touch Cellular, Vodafone, and Verizon. In the old days people told me, who's going to pay $1200 for a mobile phone, when they can just put a dime in a pay phone. They're on every corner.

I know you know this, but try no to be so obstinate and obtuse. I would bet the potential market for people interested in a cell phone at close to 99.999% in non third world. Countries(to busy trying to have water, food shelter).

You’re advocating an idea that may appeal to the other 0.001%. If it’s that big.

By the way, what have you accomplished with regard to talking to range owners the past several days about your idea?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:49 pm 
Crown Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
ysr_racer wrote:

I know you know this, but try no to be so obstinate and obtuse. I would bet the potential market for people interested in a cell phone at close to 99.999% in non third world. Countries(to busy trying to have water, food shelter).

You’re advocating an idea that may appeal to the other 0.001%. If it’s that big.

By the way, what have you accomplished with regard to talking to range owners the past several days about your idea?

They said some of their customers are too stupid to operate a tablet. I'm starting to agree with them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:52 pm 
Crown Grade

‘They’?.......I’ve been around quite a bit. Not familiar with that range or club. Got directions to ‘it’?:-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:58 pm 
Limited Edition

We looked into e-scoring. Would have taken 18 tablets (for a 16 station course with spares) and used GT Scoring App. System worked really well. Scorekeepers clicked on first shooters name, then had only choices of Dead or Lost to click for each pair. (Very hard to screw up). Then "accept". Menu (# stations, targets at each station) was preloaded (took about 20 minutes to build) and squads were uploaded. Scores were automatically uplinked to clubhouse/internet when they got within wireless range or cell tower.

Biggest issue was having to load each shooter into the database in the first place. But overall the system worked like a charm. It did seem to eliminate scoring errors. No real training required except for the folks that set up the course and entered the database to begin with. It even provided shoot report to uplink to the NGBs.

But we just couldn't justify the nearly 9k it took to get up and running for the small number of shoots we hold. Now that the pricing has gone down on tablets, we might revisit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:22 pm 
Crown Grade

pintailwizard wrote:
We looked into e-scoring. Would have taken 18 tablets (for a 16 station course with spares) and used GT Scoring App. System worked really well. Scorekeepers clicked on first shooters name, then had only choices of Dead or Lost to click for each pair. (Very hard to screw up). Then "accept". Menu (# stations, targets at each station) was preloaded (took about 20 minutes to build) and squads were uploaded. Scores were automatically uplinked to clubhouse/internet when they got within wireless range or cell tower.

Biggest issue was having to load each shooter into the database in the first place. But overall the system worked like a charm. It did seem to eliminate scoring errors. No real training required except for the folks that set up the course and entered the database to begin with. It even provided shoot report to uplink to the NGBs.

But we just couldn't justify the nearly 9k it took to get up and running for the small number of shoots we hold. Now that the pricing has gone down on tablets, we might revisit.

HERESY !!

Sir, I don't know you, but you're talking heresy. There have been six pages of anonymous posts about why electronic scoring can't possibly work, and you just waltz in here and say it might work?

HERESY I SAY !!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:57 am 
Crown Grade

I have to say this has been a very entertaining thread. I am amazed at how stupid our shooters must be. The posters here are ok with shooting with these stupid people that have loaded guns in their hands but I would be scared to death. Personally, I think they are smarter than the posters here think they are and could handle electronic scoring. But, what do I know. The way they divert to attacking Brad is a pretty good indication they might be right about their own stupidity.

(Warning: To those that read my posts.)
I don't shoot registered targets so what could I possibly know or have to offer?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:05 am 
Diamond Grade

I have no issue with the concept and have no doubt that it will be showing up selectively at some venues and events where it makes sense. Over time it will be more common place. As I stated earlier, if electronic scoring is in use at an event I attend I will participate though I expect it wil he used at larger events early on with trapper / judges anyway

Brad is passionate about this that is clear but harping at a small group of shooters on SGW isn’t going to bring about change. There are clearly systems on the market and I am sure the holders of those systems are talking frequently with the ranges and demonstrating the capabilities. That is the activity that could make this more main stream in our game

The world is changing fast and electronics is the root of it. That change will come into shotgun sports too sooner than later

Benelli SBE 2
Beretta 303
Browning Auto 5 light 20
Release Triggers by Phillip's Gunsmithing

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:41 am 
Diamond Grade

Of course e-scoring will become part of clay target games - when it is cheaper/more profitable for the range owners than what they are using now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next