It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Image



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:53 pm
Posts: 252
Location: You Never Can Tell
Point proven.




Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:05 pm
Posts: 262
Whatsuuuup! wrote:
The problem with an idiot is they don't know that they are an idiot.


Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:08 pm 
Presentation Grade
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:28 pm
Posts: 880
Location: Fresno,CA
Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

_________________
"I may be crazy but I ain't stupid"!

"I instruct to break targets...I coach to compete".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1474
Location: KS
Shooters would learn to use e-scoring if the technology were in place, but the clubs have no real incentive to install it. There would be a costs of installation and maintenance to pass on to shooters who are already complaining about target prices.

Rapid posting of results might be of value to at least some registered shooters, but likely of zero interest to the recreational folks who make up the vast majority of most clubs’ business. Why would a club owner bother?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:39 pm 
Presentation Grade
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:28 pm
Posts: 880
Location: Fresno,CA
An app and a smart phone synced with the clubhouse is really all it would take.

_________________
"I may be crazy but I ain't stupid"!

"I instruct to break targets...I coach to compete".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:05 pm
Posts: 262
Docterduck wrote:
An app and a smart phone synced with the clubhouse is really all it would take.


Don't forget cellular service.. In our area, about 50#% of the clubs have little or no service on large parts of the course.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:14 pm 
Presentation Grade
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:28 pm
Posts: 880
Location: Fresno,CA
jtw wrote:
Docterduck wrote:
An app and a smart phone synced with the clubhouse is really all it would take.


Don't forget cellular service.. In our area, about 50#% of the clubs have little or no service on large parts of the course.

No doubt about that. Over time the service will be better. Just sayin is all.

_________________
"I may be crazy but I ain't stupid"!

"I instruct to break targets...I coach to compete".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1474
Location: KS
Technical issues are secondary to the question: when the vast majority of customers don’t care, why would a club owner bother?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:09 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:26 pm
Posts: 9402
Location: So Cal USA
You guys crack me up. I worked for Pacific Telesis, PacTel Cellular, Air Touch Cellular, Vodafone, and Verizon. In the old days people told me, who's going to pay $1200 for a mobile phone, when they can just put a dime in a pay phone. They're on every corner.

Glad I didn't listen to them :)

_________________
Liberals are like slinkys, not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:05 pm
Posts: 262
mwr01 wrote:
Technical issues are secondary to the question: when the vast majority of customers don’t care, why would a club owner bother?


With sufficient thrust, a pig can be made to fly.. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1474
Location: KS
jtw wrote:
mwr01 wrote:
Technical issues are secondary to the question: when the vast majority of customers don’t care, why would a club owner bother?


With sufficient thrust, a pig can be made to fly.. :)


But as every artilleryman learns, trajectory can be problematic :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:08 pm 
Presentation Grade
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:28 pm
Posts: 880
Location: Fresno,CA
mwr01 wrote:
jtw wrote:
mwr01 wrote:
Technical issues are secondary to the question: when the vast majority of customers don’t care, why would a club owner bother?


With sufficient thrust, a pig can be made to fly.. :)


But as every artilleryman learns, trajectory can be problematic :wink:

Add 100 and fire for effect.

_________________
"I may be crazy but I ain't stupid"!

"I instruct to break targets...I coach to compete".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:34 pm
Posts: 2094
ysr_racer wrote:
You guys crack me up. I worked for Pacific Telesis, PacTel Cellular, Air Touch Cellular, Vodafone, and Verizon. In the old days people told me, who's going to pay $1200 for a mobile phone, when they can just put a dime in a pay phone. They're on every corner.

Glad I didn't listen to them :)


I know you know this, but try no to be so obstinate and obtuse. I would bet the potential market for people interested in a cell phone at close to 99.999% in non third world. Countries(to busy trying to have water, food shelter).

You’re advocating an idea that may appeal to the other 0.001%. If it’s that big.

By the way, what have you accomplished with regard to talking to range owners the past several days about your idea?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:49 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:26 pm
Posts: 9402
Location: So Cal USA
Rooster booster wrote:
ysr_racer wrote:
You guys crack me up. I worked for Pacific Telesis, PacTel Cellular, Air Touch Cellular, Vodafone, and Verizon. In the old days people told me, who's going to pay $1200 for a mobile phone, when they can just put a dime in a pay phone. They're on every corner.

Glad I didn't listen to them :)


I know you know this, but try no to be so obstinate and obtuse. I would bet the potential market for people interested in a cell phone at close to 99.999% in non third world. Countries(to busy trying to have water, food shelter).

You’re advocating an idea that may appeal to the other 0.001%. If it’s that big.

By the way, what have you accomplished with regard to talking to range owners the past several days about your idea?

They said some of their customers are too stupid to operate a tablet. I'm starting to agree with them.

_________________
Liberals are like slinkys, not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:34 pm
Posts: 2094
‘They’?.......I’ve been around quite a bit. Not familiar with that range or club. Got directions to ‘it’?:-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:58 pm 
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:18 pm
Posts: 396
We looked into e-scoring. Would have taken 18 tablets (for a 16 station course with spares) and used GT Scoring App. System worked really well. Scorekeepers clicked on first shooters name, then had only choices of Dead or Lost to click for each pair. (Very hard to screw up). Then "accept". Menu (# stations, targets at each station) was preloaded (took about 20 minutes to build) and squads were uploaded. Scores were automatically uplinked to clubhouse/internet when they got within wireless range or cell tower.

Biggest issue was having to load each shooter into the database in the first place. But overall the system worked like a charm. It did seem to eliminate scoring errors. No real training required except for the folks that set up the course and entered the database to begin with. It even provided shoot report to uplink to the NGBs.

But we just couldn't justify the nearly 9k it took to get up and running for the small number of shoots we hold. Now that the pricing has gone down on tablets, we might revisit.

_________________
I'm trying to be the person my Little Brown Dog acts like I am.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:22 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:26 pm
Posts: 9402
Location: So Cal USA
pintailwizard wrote:
We looked into e-scoring. Would have taken 18 tablets (for a 16 station course with spares) and used GT Scoring App. System worked really well. Scorekeepers clicked on first shooters name, then had only choices of Dead or Lost to click for each pair. (Very hard to screw up). Then "accept". Menu (# stations, targets at each station) was preloaded (took about 20 minutes to build) and squads were uploaded. Scores were automatically uplinked to clubhouse/internet when they got within wireless range or cell tower.

Biggest issue was having to load each shooter into the database in the first place. But overall the system worked like a charm. It did seem to eliminate scoring errors. No real training required except for the folks that set up the course and entered the database to begin with. It even provided shoot report to uplink to the NGBs.

But we just couldn't justify the nearly 9k it took to get up and running for the small number of shoots we hold. Now that the pricing has gone down on tablets, we might revisit.


HERESY !!

Sir, I don't know you, but you're talking heresy. There have been six pages of anonymous posts about why electronic scoring can't possibly work, and you just waltz in here and say it might work?

HERESY I SAY !!

_________________
Liberals are like slinkys, not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:57 am 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:02 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Central Pennsylvania and Southwest Florida
I have to say this has been a very entertaining thread. I am amazed at how stupid our shooters must be. The posters here are ok with shooting with these stupid people that have loaded guns in their hands but I would be scared to death. Personally, I think they are smarter than the posters here think they are and could handle electronic scoring. But, what do I know. The way they divert to attacking Brad is a pretty good indication they might be right about their own stupidity.

_________________
{hs#
Jim

(Warning: To those that read my posts.)
I don't shoot registered targets so what could I possibly know or have to offer?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:05 am 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:29 pm
Posts: 1671
Location: Central Maine
I have no issue with the concept and have no doubt that it will be showing up selectively at some venues and events where it makes sense. Over time it will be more common place. As I stated earlier, if electronic scoring is in use at an event I attend I will participate though I expect it wil he used at larger events early on with trapper / judges anyway

Brad is passionate about this that is clear but harping at a small group of shooters on SGW isn’t going to bring about change. There are clearly systems on the market and I am sure the holders of those systems are talking frequently with the ranges and demonstrating the capabilities. That is the activity that could make this more main stream in our game

The world is changing fast and electronics is the root of it. That change will come into shotgun sports too sooner than later

_________________
Beretta A400 Excel "Black" Cole Gunsmithing special
Browning Citori Crossover Target
Briley Sidekick sub gauge tubes
Benelli SBE 2
Beretta 303
Browning Auto 5 light 20
Release Triggers by Phillip's Gunsmithing

NSCA 602398


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:41 am 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1474
Location: KS
Of course e-scoring will become part of clay target games - when it is cheaper/more profitable for the range owners than what they are using now.




Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: 687shooter, AC130, bigbluedodge, Bing [Bot], Brett S, Browning Citori Guy, bull64, Bullet Bob, casonet, cfg7613, CubaLibre, D McMillen, Dalee100, David Spear, df, dhb66, fullgallon, Glenn Kelley, Google [Bot], hopper810, JacksBack, Jakeismydog2, jd10ac, jmires, Joe Hunter, john391, JonnyRocket, kgwolo, KRIEGHOFFK80, left field, leftex, Lloydyp, Majestic-12 [Bot], Malcolm7, markone, martw, Maser, mryoung, msheff, myflatline, Nate_Evans, oldnnp, oldshotty, oneounceload, pimlico, Poochie, rickeroo, ROGER_JOHNSON, S.davis, Saltydog055, Scardog7, simsy9, Tenn_Titan, TheYoungGuy, Turkinator, Vette Jockey, Wilfred1955, woodcock1, ysr_racer


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
© 2017 Carbon Media Group Outdoors    - DMCA Notice