It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Electronic scoring, yes again :)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:15 am 
Tournament Grade

ysr_racer wrote:
marist89 wrote:
ysr_racer wrote:
I'm just ASKING why we don't have electronic scoring at one club in America.

The last six times you ask this question you got the same answer: The value is not there. That's still the answer.

Last time I was at the NE Regional, I finished my 20 gauge event. Brought the card back to the clubhouse and grabbed a sandwich for lunch. I checked winscore on my phone when my sandwich was finished and it was there.

Tell me how getting it 5 minutes faster (the time it takes to get my card to the clubhouse) would justify spending $50K for tablets and the infrastructure to support it?

50k? You funny guy Joe.

Tablets are a hundred bucks each, I'm guessing the club already has a pc, https://practiscore.com/ will write the software for free, no Wi-Fi needed.

Kilroy was here !!

This! eventually clay shooters will get on board with the idea. Other shooting sports are already there and loving the tech. Some people just aren't ready.

NRA Member
Georgia Carry Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Shooters aren’t the issue, clubs are. No club is going to spend the money and undertake the training when the shooters are not yet asking for it.....

I can’t tell you in 35 years, how many clays shooters I’ve heard talking about how great the experience would be if only there was electronic scoring. I can’t tell you because I’ve not heard anyone ever mention it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Unless deez gizmos are waterproof , they ain't flyin' here.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:30 pm 
Crown Grade

They'll be flying - right out the door.

We have folks who screw up a paper scorecard; I can't imagine what would happen if given something electronic to use. Maybe in another generation after the folks who can't use a smart phone are gone.....

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:51 pm 
Crown Grade

ysr_racer wrote:
Please send all responses to this thread via telegraph, telex, or pony express :)

Please see above.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
Shooters aren’t the issue, clubs are. No club is going to spend the money and undertake the training when the shooters are not yet asking for it.....

I can’t tell you in 35 years, how many clays shooters I’ve heard talking about how great the experience would be if only there was electronic scoring. I can’t tell you because I’ve not heard anyone ever mention it.

How many people asked for a home pc before they got one? How many people asked for a smart phone before they got one?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Then as I’ve said before......lead the way, don’t chirp from the cheap seats.

You’re the one who likes the sound of your own name more than most. Get after it. Think of how you’ll be spoken of in sporting clays circles, possibly even groupies. How’s your club manager conversations going? How many slapped their head saying ‘why didn’t I think of that!?, sign me up!’

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

To be perfectly honest I prefer to escape from electronics for the few hours I am shooting. My iPhone gets to hang out by itself in my truck. The missed calls and emails and texts are right there waiting when I am done

If a club I shoot at has a system as described I will use it but I am not feeling empty cause I haven’t seen it yet.

Benelli SBE 2
Beretta 303
Browning Auto 5 light 20
Release Triggers by Phillip's Gunsmithing

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

It’s simple math with a technical issue thrown into the equation. Pistol match is scored in one place. Sporting Clays scores could be recorded in 15 locations or more. Cost of hardware 15 X pistol match. Distance from scorekeeper to laptop in a pistol match is Bluetooth or WiFi router distance distance. Clays stations too far for either. Most clays courses don’t have adequate cellular service either. Solve those problems & get rich selling the system.

Bass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:35 pm 
Crown Grade

Bass3 wrote:
It’s simple math with a technical issue thrown into the equation. Pistol match is scored in one place. Sporting Clays scores could be recorded in 15 locations or more. Cost of hardware 15 X pistol match. Distance from scorekeeper to laptop in a pistol match is Bluetooth or WiFi router distance distance. Clays stations too far for either. Most clays courses don’t have adequate cellular service either. Solve those problems & get rich selling the system.

Bass

Pistol matches have 8 bays not 1. No need for cellular service or Wi-Fi, just like you hand in the score sheets, you plug in the tablet and dump the info at the stat shack.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:37 pm 
Crown Grade

NEWS FLASH !!

Tonight on the movin pitcher box, Barnaby Jones meets his evil twin.

Set your Betamax, you don't want to miss this one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

Shee-it YSR! I just upgraded to brush and papyrus from chisel and stone. I'm getting ready to use pen and paper scorecards and now you want to do what? Use the little machine with the angry man in it? No siree, Bob, tis a trap! I'm doing just fine with me brush and papyrus, thank you sir!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:16 pm 
Crown Grade

I'm still confused. Which one of my posts said that absolutely EVERY course needs to use electronic scoring absolutely EVERY time they hold a tournament?

I'm having trouble finding that one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

Our club scores IDPA pistol with one tablet and gives fast accurate results.

Clays tournament I plan to attend next month has main course, sub gauge course and two five stand events. It would take 26 tablets to equip scorekeepers. No data collection method other than manually taking the tablet to a central point same way score cards are handled. With the tablet gone no way to score. You would have to wait until the course is closed to score. Paper cards running tally is taken as the day progresses.

Been in business a long time seen many presentations that were going to improve things with technology. Most vendors had no practical business experience and could not link the solution to a problem. We bought from technology providers who understood our business and offered a workable solution that was cost effective. Result is my business is much better today with technology.

Do that with sporting clays and courses will buy. Minimal advantage, unworkable systems, high cost nobody’s going to buy.

Bass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Bass3 wrote:
Our club scores IDPA pistol with one tablet and gives fast accurate results.

Clays tournament I plan to attend next month has main course, sub gauge course and two five stand events. It would take 26 tablets to equip scorekeepers. No data collection method other than manually taking the tablet to a central point same way score cards are handled. With the tablet gone no way to score. You would have to wait until the course is closed to score. Paper cards running tally is taken as the day progresses.

Been in business a long time seen many presentations that were going to improve things with technology. Most vendors had no practical business experience and could not link the solution to a problem. We bought from technology providers who understood our business and offered a workable solution that was cost effective. Result is my business is much better today with technology.

Do that with sporting clays and courses will buy. Minimal advantage, unworkable systems, high cost nobody’s going to buy.

Bass

Yep it can't possibly work. 100 different situations, none of them can possibly use a tablet. Good call.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Whose going to work these Brad? At squad-scored shoots, who is going to train every possible person who might be doing the scoring? The $$ payback isn't there for smaller shoots. As I said earlier, maybe NSCA should try it at the Open and Nationals first.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:32 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Whose going to work these Brad? At squad-scored shoots, who is going to train every possible person who might be doing the scoring? The $$ payback isn't there for smaller shoots. As I said earlier, maybe NSCA should try it at the Open and Nationals first.

Agreed, we're too stupid to use the tablets. The guys I shoot IPSC with are friggin geniuses.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Who taught you guys how to fill out a score card that we use now?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

The problem with an idiot is they don't know that they are an idiot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Some of you guys should like Antifa snowflakes. You disagree with what someone says, so you resort to personal insults.

And while I'm as sensitive as a chick, sticks and stones...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next