It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What sporting clays accomplishments are you most proud o
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:01 am 
Field Grade

I can remember in high school in MO working at a local gas station during the gas wars when gas went to .05 a gallon and I was driving a 64 GTO with a tri pack then loving it.

Back to Sporting Clays as a group the need to reduce the price to play needs to be taken on if we want to get youth involved to assure the future of this great game. In fact it includes all the shooting sports. Look around while you are shooting shotguns, rifles, bows, whatever..... my guess it there are very few young people around but a bunch of grey heads. There are lots of reasons for this but I feel cost to play is a big one. Just something that needs to be addressed imo ... some pistol games are addressing this and a few rifle but I don’t see much in the clay games. Maybe if we could get more youth involved in the shooting sports they would appreciate shooting more and not gather in the thousands protesting against something they know nothing about showing their ignorance about gun ownership.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

WOW! I also had 1964 GTO with tri-power. {hs#

When I bought it there was 18,000 miles on it and was like brand new.

Paid $1600.00 for it. :lol:

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife

Krieghoff K 80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:11 am 
Presentation Grade

Setting Fitasc targets at Claythorne for World Fitasc 2003 with a great gang of setters! Also setting targets at Rose Hill N.C. and Hunters Point N.C. amongst others!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:51 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Thanks Nate,

I am sure I could have done the math but I was tired last night and I knew someone out there could do it much faster. I appreciate you doing this for me. If I can ever help you with a shooting problem send me a PM. For some reason my password doesn't work this morning on AOL. I received a message that my password may have changed. I didn't change it!!!!!! I will have to get my son n law to fix this for me. I am not a computer man except for writing programs. I use these a lot more that most of the other things on my computer.

Mike McAlpine
325-651-7810

Also, please feel free to call me with a question. The number is above. I am usually in the house in the early morning and the evening. Shooting clay targets, teaching and setting targets is something I know a lot about. Now, I don't know it all but I am still learning after almost 50 years in the sport. I try to learn something new each and every day. I do know a lot about BS and worthless information. It seems my mind retains this type of information better that the things that I can really use. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

Mike McAlpine wrote:
Thanks Nate,

I am sure I could have done the math but I was tired last night and I knew someone out there could do it much faster. I appreciate you doing this for me. If I can ever help you with a shooting problem send me a PM. For some reason my password doesn't work this morning on AOL. I received a message that my password may have changed. I didn't change it!!!!!! I will have to get my son n law to fix this for me. I am not a computer man except for writing programs. I use these a lot more that most of the other things on my computer.

Mike McAlpine
325-651-7810

Also, please feel free to call me with a question. The number is above. I am usually in the house in the early morning and the evening. Shooting clay targets, teaching and setting targets is something I know a lot about. Now, I don't know it all but I am still learning after almost 50 years in the sport. I try to learn something new each and every day. I do know a lot about BS and worthless information. It seems my mind retains this type of information better that the things that I can really use. :lol:

Thanks Mike. I may take you up on that.

I'm relatively new at the shotgun game. Got into it late in life. I make some good shots, but my shooting is inconsistent.

I need to find an instructor. There aren't all that many in New England, and not a single one in my state.

Regardless, I have fun with it, and that's all I really need from it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:15 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Nate,

Years ago I held a level I class in New Hampshire. This was held at 20th Skeet. Bill Boyce was in the class and I think he is still around. Try to contact him. Better yet plan to attend one of my schools this year. :D Please give me a holler with your questions.

Mike McAlpine
The Clay Target Academy

My schools are for all levels of shooters!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm going to apologize ahead of time for the wall of text I'm about to put on here. But I tend to split my accomplishments into to categories, competing and coaching -- and I want to write about both.

For coaching, I really hold youth shooting close to me, as obviously I came into the sport when I was only 8 years old. Myself and Tony Monzingo run a clinic called Champs' Camp -- youth shooting clinic for kids. It's pretty challenging, a week long. We wake the kids up at 7am and finish at around 11pm every night. About 50% of the time is spent shooting and 50% of the time is spent in a classroom teaching sports psychology and philosophy (we don't take any breaks) -- how to approach shooting from every avenue imaginable. The first day of the camp, we always ask the kids (and their parents who are there for the initial briefing before they drop them off for the week), "How many of you here think you're at a shooting camp?" Everyone raises their hands. Then we tell them they're wrong, and that really it's a life camp, because the stuff they'll learn in the classroom they can apply to anything that they're passionate about to become successful.

We've had hundreds of kids become All-American after attending camp. We've had multiple Sub-Junior and Junior World Sporting and FITASC Champions. At one time, for about two years in a row. Every kid on Team USA was a member of Champs' Camp. I myself was a student at the very first camp back in 2003. Anyway, those accomplishments are something to be proud of as a coach, but perhaps the thing I'm most proud of are the kids who come up to us personally and say, "I like shooting, but my passion is xyz, is that okay?" Of course we encourage them, and then years later we'll get a phone call from them or their parents telling us about the success that they've found in that thing they said they were passionate about, and they credit what they've learned in camp as what helped them get there. We've had a kid become a minor league baseball pitcher, another kid find a successful career in acting on television, currently have a kid on American Idol, one playing in the PGA, another in politics, one kid worked himself out of depression during camp.

One time I had a kid who was probably the most misbehaved spoiled kid I've ever had in camp. Which is saying something, because each camp has anywhere from 10-20 kids and we do 3-4 camps a year since 2003. We had a "come to Jesus meeting", treated him like an adult and let him decide how to proceed from there on out. He decided to stay in camp and work the rest of the week. Ended up becoming the best behaved and interested kid in camp. About two months later we got a call from his father (who I'd never met), he initiated the conversation by saying, "What the hell did you do to my son?" Obviously we were a little worried, but he went on to explain that he's totally turned around his behavior at home, school, etc. And he went on to thank us. Five years later I got randomly squadded with the father in Houston for a shoot and he told me what all the kid had done since and how he's really turned around. Pretty amazing feeling!

--------------------

For competing, though I just won the World FITASC Championship this past year in Budapest, and even winning the 2009 US Open when I was 16 years old -- the US Open I won in 2016 is and will always be my most cherished accomplishment in my career because of the story behind it. For those of you who don't know, my coach is Wendell Cherry, who I've been working with since I was just 10 years old. He's become a second father to me, as well as my best friend. His wife Anne was also like a second mother. As I was heading down to compete in the Open, we found out Anne was diagnosed with pancreatic and liver cancer. It was pretty late in the game, so we knew there wasn't much time left. I drove to Nashville to spend time with them and see her in the hospital. Sparring some details, when I got there I didn't want to leave, because I didn't want to not be there -- both for Wendell and Anne. I walked into her room and there she was smiling and trying to make everybody happy. I mentioned wanting to stay and skip the US Open, which everyone agreed with, except for her. She grabbed my hand and made me promise to go down there and win it for her and bring her back the trophy. It was pretty emotional, and when Anne makes you promise to do something, you don't say no. Haha!

So I headed down there, and the whole place had an atmosphere to it that was pretty unbelievable. Everyone was paying tribute to Anne, wearing little red ribbons on their hats or vests -- and when I say everyone, I bet there was literally 80% of people doing it. It was unbelievable. Shooting rotations were started off by people praying for Anne to recover. Everyone was asking for updates on her. Just goes to show you how loved she was in the community. Before every round I'd check in with Wendell to see how she was doing. I was shooting really great all week. By the last day, I checked the scores in the morning and as I was driving to the club, I told Wendell that I was going to finish strong and win it for her. I had not known that she'd already passed about 30 minutes prior, but he didn't let me know that.

I started off the round more nervous than I'd ever been in my career. I was barely chipping targets, and on my fourth station, I missed a fluff little full belly incoming teal at about 30 yards. I turned around to walk out of the cage and saw Tony Monzingo had come out to watch me. He's got a great sense of humor and understands my mental game, so I went over to him to try to lighten the mood and ended up just riding with him the rest of the course. Literally from every station after that, more and more of my friends came out to watch -- and my friends are the guys that I have to beat to win. After every station that I'd run, I'd turn around and all the other pros are there cheering me on trying to push me through it. I mean, their rounds were finished, and I had to beat them to win, yet they knew what I was trying to do and they were out there supporting me. It came down to the last station, which was a tough one, and I was only down 1 target (3 for the tournament) and I knew that I had some room to work with if I missed one. I ended up running it and the second I hit my last target, everyone started yelling and I had probably about 15 grown men hugging me, a few of us crying, haha!

I immediately called Wendell, and he told me that she had already passed that morning. He hid all of that emotion from me when I talked to him in the morning, and so this phone call was pretty emotional on both ends of the spectrum. I ended up winning HOA in the Main Event (197/200), the FITASC (97/100), and the 5-Stand (98/100). I booked a flight back to Nashville and brought all three trophies back to Anne, and she still has them.

No amount of World Championships or anything else will ever mean more to me than that.

Cell: (210) 618-0955
Email: coaching@dradulovich.com

www.dradulovich.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

{hs#

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:27 am 
Diamond Grade

I remember that David. Unbelievable moment in time! Not to mention in some challenging conditions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:43 am 
Crown Grade

Only shooting Hunters Class.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Two accomplishments come to mind.

At the 2011 US Open I won a trophy! AA 3rd Place Pump. Jon Kruger was behind me and I heard him say, "Who IS that guy with the pump?" I assumed that he meant it in a nice way. I was inkballing some targets.

Last year and this year I made the Connecticut State Open Team. That feels pretty good (until I realize that some of our best shooters had not made it to the State Shoot.) I'll take it where I can get it!

Probably the best feeling I get regarding shooting well comes when a trapper says, "Nice shooting! Only X shooters have run this station today" I like those flashes of brilliance.

"There is not a target on this course that I cannot hit, and no target that I cannot miss."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:43 am 
Field Grade

Started this sport last year and I was able to go from E class to C class in 1100 targets.

Addicting for sure.

Blaser F16 Sporting 32"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Have introduced a number of juniors to the sport and instructed quite a few.
My personal accomplishments:
- In 2012 winning the AA MO State Championship in the main event, 5 stand and 20 gauge, punched right up to Master class that weekend for the first time.
- In 2016 came in tied for 6th at Nationals in AA class in 5 stand, got tenth place after the tiebreakers.
- In 2017 qualified for the senior division of the PSCA.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Not nearly as accomplished as most of you but, I won the in state class A last year, and made the all state team.

Trying to get high school sporting off the ground this year, and hope it leads to bigger and better shooting opportunities for kids.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

I actually hit a tall, kind of long distance, pretty severe arc, chandelle once!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:33 pm 
Crown Grade

xsshooter wrote:
Not nearly as accomplished as most of you but, I won the in state class A last year, and made the all state team.

Trying to get high school sporting off the ground this year, and hope it leads to bigger and better shooting opportunities for kids.

My biggest accomplishment is, I actually meet this guy ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a few.

This year my 6 year old started shooting on the course with me. He is like his dad, he just wants to pull the trigger as much as possible.

My wife has also started shooting with me, about 3 weeks ago she shot her first full round. She shot a 40 with an old citori that didn't fit, I spent the next few weeks fitting her a gun and doing some coaching. She shot a 69 on a harder course this week. Not bad for a girl who had probably fired less that 200 rounds in her life.

Lastly I won HOA as a B shooter against guys who had just won punches at TC state. I was inkballing everything that day.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:00 am 
Crown Grade

Only shooting Hunters Class.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:38 pm 
Field Grade

Winning the recent World Super Sporting [A Class] at Ben Avery was a huge accomplishment for my shooting career. In addition just meeting the fine people I have in the 11 years I have been involved in sporting clays has been great as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:50 am 
Field Grade

My first 25 straight at a provincial FITASC shoot in 1995.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next