It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

WI Sporting Clays Assc. NSCA Registered Shooters
Poll runs till Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:25 pm
1.) Yes 44%  44%  [ 15 ]
2.) No 56%  56%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 34
 Post subject: Re: WI Sporting Clays Assc. NSCA Registered members
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:20 am 
Crown Grade

andykb692 wrote:
I guess I don’t understand the difference between this and payouts at State, Sposored, Regional, etc. shoots. Tournaments with higher entry fees and mandatory payouts. Where do you think the money comes from? The entry fees partially go to fund those payouts, along with added money from sponsors or whatever. So what’s the difference? Just the fact that they didn’t tell you where it came from makes it okay? I don’t get the big deal.

If I read the responses correctly, you have to pay for into the prize pot, but then you only have a chance of winning it if you participate in all three events.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:42 am 
Limited Edition

All four events at 3 clubs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Maybe next year the clubs will just charge us $50.00 plus fees per 100 and NOT return any money. If there is a next year.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:10 am 
Presentation Grade

andykb692 wrote:
I guess I don’t understand the difference between this and payouts at State, Sposored, Regional, etc. shoots. Tournaments with higher entry fees and mandatory payouts.

The difference is you only pay into those mandatory payouts for events that you choose to shoot. You're not paying into a pool that you are not eligible to win.

In this case, people who cannot shoot all four events are being asked to contribute towards a pool that they cannot POSSIBLY win -- ergo, they see it as throwing money away.

You might argue that it's not much money and I agree, but that's not what's being argued here.

If you said that each event had its OWN mandatory Lewis class, I think the opposition would go away. Either way, I still say that the free market should decide.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:55 am 
Limited Edition

Steve Y wrote:
Maybe next year the clubs will just charge us $50.00 plus fees per 100 and NOT return any money. If there is a next year.

Steve

Next year always comes. Scare tactics are ineffective.
There’s always someone waiting in the wings to replace ideas, people, management and customers.
Ya gotta love this country and free enterprise in a capitalist society.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:18 pm 
Limited Edition

birdshooter1 wrote:
andykb692 wrote:
I guess I don’t understand the difference between this and payouts at State, Sposored, Regional, etc. shoots. Tournaments with higher entry fees and mandatory payouts.

The difference is you only pay into those mandatory payouts for events that you choose to shoot. You're not paying into a pool that you are not eligible to win.

In this case, people who cannot shoot all four events are being asked to contribute towards a pool that they cannot POSSIBLY win -- ergo, they see it as throwing money away.

You might argue that it's not much money and I agree, but that's not what's being argued here.

If you said that each event had its OWN mandatory Lewis class, I think the opposition would go away. Either way, I still say that the free market should decide.

Plus 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:59 pm 
Limited Edition

Steve Y wrote:

Steve

So - you mean like the Ironman? (but they have trappers)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:18 pm 
Field Grade

Also if you want to play/shoot for lewis/options, because you aren't going to be shooting all 4 events, that's additional $10 per club, so that's essentially $20.00

I know of 12 guys that aren't shooting any of these events because they can't shoot all 4 clubs, so they are just passing all together, however when speaking to them, they all mentioned had there not been a mandatory option they would have shot two and or all four of the clubs.

So lets see 12 shooters x $57.00 each x 4 clubs = $2,736.00 in money that now no club gets.

Shooters are voting with their feet and their wallets on this, I think as stated earlier, just do away with the mandatory class purse and I'm sure more guys will shoot it.

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Member
Regarde l'oiseau

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Steve Y wrote:

Steve

If only there was a term for optional money that people could play if they wanted to. Maybe call it...

...options.

Last edited by ysr_racer on Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:13 pm 
Limited Edition

Guys, I will not be able to participate in the TX this weekend so I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm sure you will see some good targets. You have three great clubs with West Bend a real up and comer. On Monday morning when you are hashing this out, with attendance numbers in hand, realize weather conditions will have an effect on participation. The hard core guys will come in a snow storm but there is a significant percentage of shooters that will decide based on the forecast. Saturday will have temps of 34-17 with 13 mph winds. Sunday 36-25 with 9 mph winds. I think Saturday's conditions will keep some by the fire.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:14 am 
Limited Edition

Purses do not come from the purse fairy. The money comes from entry fees.

Some shoots have added money from outside organizations, or from sponsors. Mandatory purses, regardless of the amount ought to be available to anyone who is required to contribute, in my opinion.

Sales puffery is a long established selling technique. Organizations that engage in it ought to expect that on occasion, individuals will highlight the words that occur after the "if" or "but" and they may also request clarification of the terms of a transaction. We live in the new age of the internet, with almost instant feedback and dissemination of information. Multi-tier pricing with tie in sales, will be understood for what it is.

Most of the time, all revenues pass through the hosting club(s). So at some point, if it is in the till, it is all "Their" money. What they commit to paying out in purses should be transparent. Prices of shoots are what they are and are independent of prior or subsequent shoots.

There are lots of things that induce potential customers to buy products. Some are better than others; some are things that no one has control over, like the weather.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

smoke ball wrote:
Guys, I will not be able to participate in the TX this weekend so I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm sure you will see some good targets. You have three great clubs with West Bend a real up and comer. On Monday morning when you are hashing this out, with attendance numbers in hand, realize weather conditions will have an effect on participation. The hard core guys will come in a snow storm but there is a significant percentage of shooters that will decide based on the forecast. Saturday will have temps of 34-17 with 13 mph winds. Sunday 36-25 with 9 mph winds. I think Saturday's conditions will keep some by the fire.

This is true in my case. I probably would have shot one or two of the events and would not have found it cost prohibitive. But temps in the 20's keep me home.

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:50 pm 
Field Grade

I’m always leery of purse enticements at self-scored events. Add a little money and stuff gets squirrelly. 91 & 95 from a B classer at this event? same one who shot 90,91 &95 at last year’s Ironman in E class.( his second Nsca shoot). Cmon are the targets that soft down there or does a few hundred bucks skew things?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ALatANSCOeng wrote:
I’m always leery of purse enticements at self-scored events. Add a little money and stuff gets squirrelly. 91 & 95 from a B classer at this event? same one who shot 90,91 &95 at last year’s Ironman in E class.( his second Nsca shoot). Cmon are the targets that soft down there or does a few hundred bucks skew things?

In a Lewis class payout RU never gets any money. Whats your point?

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:11 am 
Field Grade

I Have to agree w/the OP, I'm not a very good shooter, BUT I like to shoot and it seems my shooting buddies shoot more Registered shoots then shooting for fun. IMO I AM donating my money to someone's pocket (re: Mandatory purses-Lewis Class option I got no problems). I'd rather that extra money go to a "nice" lunch! :P If it wasn't for shooting the State this year I wasn't going to renew in the NSCA, but that horse has been beating to death already. Just my opinions.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

VHart51 wrote:
I Have to agree w/the OP, I'm not a very good shooter,

Thats the whole point of Lewis class, it pays out to anyone that has the correct score. You dont have to be in the top of your class to win money....just lucky.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:26 am 
Diamond Grade

VHart51 wrote:
I Have to agree w/the OP, I'm not a very good shooter, BUT I like to shoot and it seems my shooting buddies shoot more Registered shoots then shooting for fun. IMO I AM donating my money to someone's pocket (re: Mandatory purses-Lewis Class option I got no problems). I'd rather that extra money go to a "nice" lunch! :P If it wasn't for shooting the State this year I wasn't going to renew in the NSCA, but that horse has been beating to death already. Just my opinions.

You should check with the venue to find out if "Hunter" will be available at your state shoot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:49 pm 
Field Grade

The format of last weekends even doesn't bother me personally, although I understand what everyone is saying.

For me, the weather kept me from a 400-event that I was really looking forward to. I just don't enjoying standing out in those temps for that many hours. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:38 pm 
Crown Grade

For me, the most amazing part of this whole thread is that this many people from Wisconsin can read :)

FLATLANDERS RULE !!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ysr_racer wrote:
For me, the most amazing part of this whole thread is that this many people from Wisconsin can read :)

FLATLANDERS RULE !!

But those of us who can spread the word, and we all have excellent memories.
You know Brad, you are a lot like a slinky. :lol:

Steve

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next