It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flying w/ Sub-Gauge Tubes Separate
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:07 pm 
Limited Edition

Quick question to see if anyone has experience with this. I want to take my SxS to a tournament along with my primary gun and looking to save some money on checked bags.

I have a case that fits my SxS + my Kolar and it's two barrels (12g and Carrier). But this case does not have room for the tubes. I have a tube case that is just 4 slots and can put that in my other checked bag with my clothes, chokes, etc.

Do you think I will be grilled by TSA for the tubes suggesting they are a firearm and need locked. I know the receiver makes it a firearm, but not dealing with experts.

NSCA#633193

Post subject: Re: Flying w/ Sub-Gauge Tubes Separate
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:13 pm 
Limited Edition

Can't see it being a problem, tell them they are Chinese pool sticks if they ask.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:04 pm 
Crown Grade

rbjammin wrote:
I know the receiver makes it a firearm, but not dealing with experts.

Ay, there's the rub.

The tubes packed separately they might (edit) not be considered a gun, but....there is just no way to predict what any individual ticket agent or TSA agent will do in this case.

So how many sets of tubes do you need at this shoot?

If they fit, one pair could travel in the main barrel of your Kolar,

Another pair could travel in you carrier barrel,

Another pair in your SxS barrels.

But let us know how you make out.

Last edited by ShowMe on Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:06 pm 
Crown Grade

se2884 wrote:
tell them they are Chinese pool sticks if they ask.

That could be serious mistake.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Is it too late to ship them to yourself at the shoot?

Post subject: Flying w/ Sub-Gauge Tubes Separate
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:46 pm 
Crown Grade

It won’t work as these are gun parts. Gun(s) and/or gun parts don’t fly in the cabin!! Fines are serious and it could be a bad mark on your record for future flights.

It was a big deal for me with TSA, Police and supervisors not long ago. I forgot that I had an extra trigger group and firing pins in my carry-on. Paperwork, etc. kept me on the ground. Extra night in hotel, Sending parts via UPS, new plane ticket and a very big hassle before getting home!

Fortunately, they eventually ruled it an honest mistake so I didn’t have to pay the $1,500 fine!

Tubes are a NO-GO!!!

Demi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

Tubes should be no problem, if they open the case they will see its just tubes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Regardless of what you are told here, or even if you call the airline and ask, you won't know for sure until you board the plane, and that will be going to and coming from.

I would not be surprised at all of a TSA agent tags them as gun barrels (they kinda are) and won't let you through without having them in a locked case (when in doubt, they are always going to err on the side of extreme caution). Even when you do everything right and exactly to the letter of the law and rule its still a roll of the dice as to who you are going to encounter at the airport.

Are you willing to have the tubes confiscated or stolen (I certainly wouldn't want to put $1k worth of tubes in a bag that can be opened with a pen cap if you even bother to lock it)? if not you need to come up with another plan.

kolarskeet@gmail.com
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Treat them like guns, or ship them. The $25-35 fee for an additional bag isn’t worth the stress IMO.

About 10-11 years ago, I saw a poor man denied boarding over a set of extra barrels he bought. He had no firearms with him, and hadn’t been shooting. Didn’t matter they didn’t know their a$$ from their elbow, they are in charge.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:12 pm 
Limited Edition

Not going to work. They busted me for having a spare trigger in a checked bag. I had to put it in the locked gun case.
I have talked to people that got hasseled for choke tubes not being in locked gun case.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Skeet_Man wrote:
Even when you do everything right and exactly to the letter of the law and rule its still a roll of the dice as to who you are going to encounter at the airport.

This. Never underestimate another person's ignorance.

#MMUSOpen2019 #TheForkUSOpen2021 #marist89ForAC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rooster booster wrote:

About 10-11 years ago, I saw a poor man denied boarding over a set of extra barrels he bought. He had no firearms with him, and hadn’t been shooting. Didn’t matter they didn’t know their a$$ from their elbow, they are in charge.

And what, if just maybe 2 others were allowed to carry 2 stocks without the barrels onto the same plane?? I think we can all see were this could go.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:51 am 
Crown Grade

Maybe a receiver would be the more important part? I should clarify, he wasn’t trying to carry them in, he just wanted them to fly the barrel case they were in.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:16 am 
Crown Grade

My experience is, TSA policies vary from airport to airport. The only constant is that TSA employees aren't very bright :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

Jeez, I agree with YSR, what is the world coming to.

I wouldn't try it, they have signs up at a few airports I fly out of letting you know that you can't carry on choke tubes.

I had a lady that was checking me in absolutely lose her sh*t because I had the audacity to open my gun case when checking in. She informed me that the sight of the gun could frighten other passengers and kids.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:02 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks all for the feedback and confirming my concern. I ordered a tuffpak. My pelican is great for my Kolar setup but add in another gun the tuffpak looks like the best solution.

NSCA#633193

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:30 am 
Crown Grade

rbjammin wrote:
Thanks all for the feedback and confirming my concern. I ordered a tuffpak. My pelican is great for my Kolar setup but add in another gun the tuffpak looks like the best solution.

Shooters I know that have Tuffpaks are very pleased with them. They pack everything they need for a short trip in their Tuffpaks, e.g. extra clothes, toiletries.