It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning/Briley Thoughts?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

Can we get a recap of today's Main Event targets as the scores don't look too good?

Post subject: Re: Browning/Briley Thoughts?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

I didn’t shoot it. Too rich for my blood. The weather was really bad today. Cold, windy and light rain. Coldest day in April I can remember in Houston.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:59 am 
Site Sponsor

GHGC has tremendous hospitality!
Kevin has a hard working staff and does a great job!
Saturday night in the new pavilion even in the cold was a fun event.

Over 500 shooters. The cost is not different than any other well run GHGC event.

I shot the Friday prelim- harder than any local main event.

5 Stand- targets were very difficult stand 3 was unreasonable.
The long range equipment did not function well the entire time we shot
We had 30+ no birds on stand 1+2 and Less than that on stand 3 but an unacceptable amount. Not the trappers fault, as they were very experienced.

FITASC scores were akin to a World Championship level. Stands 3 + 4 were above most people’s pay grade.

The main Browning course or the North course was spiting razor blades.
The low scores were not the blame of the weather but the over the top targets that were set.
I shot them, I own my score, I could have shot maybe 5-8 targets better but really than to work and stay positive for a 65 in Master class. Maybe this game has moved by me.

The South course or the Briley course has scores 10 targets better than the North course but those who shot it worked hard for their scores.
If these are the targets 500 shooter event want, they will flourish.

Scores don’t lie, judge for yourself.

IMHO

JCIII

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:25 am 
Diamond Grade

Thanks for the report. I haven't talked to any of my friends that shot it. I hate to hear they had machine issues. Not the norm at GHGC.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Is this the kind of event that 500 shooters want? Paying $275 for 200 targets and dinner and then to have your butt handed to you doesn't appeal to me. As a member, I can shoot there for $30 for 100 targets. I enjoy the challange of registered target courses, but when is it too much?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:38 am 
Diamond Grade

Were the targets set by GHGC or did they bring in a target setter?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:19 am 
Site Sponsor

I saw Reggie and Clint around so my first thoughts were it was La targets (Ha!),
But looked to me like Chadwick and Jason were the top two target setters.
If they were told to crank them up, they did a good job.
There were a lot of Master class shooters, not a lot of pro class shooters .

The quail was great Saturday night- the sleeper dish. I also appreciated the gun cleaning service. I also took a property tour via drone and saw the new course they will beuaing for corporate shoots. Maybe that is where I belong.

JC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

jciii wrote:
I saw Reggie and Clint around so my first thoughts were it was La targets (Ha!),
But looked to me like Chadwick and Jason were the top two target setters.
If they were told to crank them up, they did a good job.
There were a lot of Master class shooters, not a lot of pro class shooters .

The quail was great Saturday night- the sleeper dish. I also appreciated the gun cleaning service. I also took a property tour via drone and saw the new course they will beuaing for corporate shoots. Maybe that is where I belong.

JC

I saw Shreveport Clint showed out a little!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

Scores were better today. Congratulations to Justin Napier for his HOA win. He is a very nice young man.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:25 pm 
Field Grade

I shot all 4 days and had a great time. The only hiccup for me was that the 2:30pm fri prelim rotation was very backed up, made it very tough to get in a rhythm.

As for the targets, I loved them. I didn't shoot as well as a would have liked to, but did break 70 on both of the main courses. Loved the FITASC, like to see big boy targets. I have been a member at GHGC since December and it seems like everything was set just below the normal red course level. Lots of stations had "gimme" targets that were easy to miss if you got flustered or off your game, which I did.

Personally I would like to see more courses set to this level. I am always disappointed when I pay $$$ for the same standard targets that get thrown every weekend. I also like seeing the HOA win with more than 1 or 2 missed targets.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

sultah wrote:
I shot all 4 days and had a great time. The only hiccup for me was that the 2:30pm fri prelim rotation was very backed up, made it very tough to get in a rhythm.

As for the targets, I loved them. I didn't shoot as well as a would have liked to, but did break 70 on both of the main courses. Loved the FITASC, like to see big boy targets. I have been a member at GHGC since December and it seems like everything was set just below the normal red course level. Lots of stations had "gimme" targets that were easy to miss if you got flustered or off your game, which I did.

Personally I would like to see more courses set to this level. I am always disappointed when I pay $$$ for the same standard targets that get thrown every weekend. I also like seeing the HOA win with more than 1 or 2 missed targets.

GHGC doesn't have a red course so I don't get your comparison. Just curious.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:38 pm 
Field Grade

The Browning/Briley was my second "major" shoot, and I thought it was a very well-run event. Although the weather was an issue Saturday afternoon, I really enjoyed the challenging targets on both courses. I certainly don't blame the target setters for what the 15-20 mph winds made near impossible targets on the north (Browning) course. The south (Briley) course was easier in my opinion, regardless of the wind on Saturday. Overall, the event was challenging, but fun, and the staff at GHGC did a great job. Plus, the banquet on Saturday night was awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:22 am 
Diamond Grade

drawdc wrote:
sultah wrote:

Sounds like a Northbrook reference.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:38 pm 
Field Grade

drawdc wrote:
sultah wrote:

Sorry, I meant north course. Red must've been a subconscious reference to American Shooting Center on the west side of Houston.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:12 am 
Diamond Grade

sultah wrote:
drawdc wrote:
sultah wrote:

Sorry, I meant north course. Red must've been a subconscious reference to American Shooting Center on the west side of Houston.

Got it. Thanks. Most of my friends didn't share your opinion, but that's what makes it interesting. If I was a better shooter, I would probably enjoy this kind of event more.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

I seem to remember hearing that the big boys had quit traveling to the BB because the targets had gotten a little soft after years of being more difficult than most and the plan was to take the difficulty back to where they had been previously. It sounds like that is how they were set and then Mother Nature turned them up to 11.

I may be mixing this up with something else though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:13 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

If you want to draw all classes set a good balanced course with different difficulties. Never set a soft course for a major tournament but let ever class have some fun. We don't want to loose anyone because the targets were too soft or too hard as a whole.

Mike McAlpine

The Browning Briley has always been a well attended event that is lots of fun. I have set many of them over the years and loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:14 pm 
Utility Grade

It's nice to hear such reviews and memories. Good luck to everyone on The Browning Briley!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:46 pm 
Field Grade

sultah wrote:

Did you shoot the North course on Saturday afternoon?

How often does Bobby Fowler shoot below an 84 or Justice 81 on the Red course?

Last edited by J2hapydna on Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:00 pm 
Field Grade

JSTILL29 wrote:
The Browning/Briley was my second "major" shoot, and I thought it was a very well-run event. Although the weather was an issue Saturday afternoon, I really enjoyed the challenging targets on both courses. I certainly don't blame the target setters for what the 15-20 mph winds made near impossible targets on the north (Browning) course. The south (Briley) course was easier in my opinion, regardless of the wind on Saturday. Overall, the event was challenging, but fun, and the staff at GHGC did a great job. Plus, the banquet on Saturday night was awesome.

What was more awesome the floating rare steak or the watercrest potatoes?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:00 am 
Field Grade

Here is an idea. One possible solution to the perennial problem of target difficulty could be to give participants an option to either earn an NSCA score or a Pro score. Then make an NSCA rule that if a target is hit less tha 60% of the time, it will be discarded and a perfect score given. Those who consider themselves Pros could exclude themselves from this rule and earn Pro scores.

This would be borrowing an idea from FITASC and going a step further. It will give the big boys an opportunity to earn big boy scores, but would also give the little guy some practice on big boy targets without upsetting their score. In addition, it would reduce variances from NSCA tournament to NSCA tournament, making comparisons more meaningful