It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shot size for different targets?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:07 am 
Field Grade

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:
The best thing I can hear a trapper say is "I saw a chip off of that." :lol:

I don't care how hard I hit it as long as it gets me an "X".

You and I would get along well sir !!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

:lol: {hs#

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife

Krieghoff K 80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Fiddling & fooling about with different size shot has gone out of vogue around my neck of the woods. Most seem to stick to the one shot size & dram equiv.
The exception is using 7's (which is our max range-legal shot size) or, carrying a 1/2 dozen 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 for stinkin rabbits.
I loath rabbits. ^77 {F*

Regards................SoT

Sydney J. Harris

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

For local shoots I'm a 1 oz ( sometimes 7/8 oz cuz I'm old and don't like recoil) guy. If I'm going to a Big Blast I'll carry factory 1 1/8 in both 7 1/2 and 8's with a few spreader shells for 25 yard and closer rabbits. It settles my mind that I think I have everything covered. I honestly believe that any target that I did not break when shooting 8's would not have broken if I was shooting 7 1/2. The opposite would also hold tru for me. For the most part I shoot with Lgt Mod and Mod stuck in my Zoli.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:01 pm 
Limited Edition

who actually wants to add the process of thinking " I should shoot 9's here with a skeet because it's at 22 yards" ?

I want to do only two things when in thew box: Absolute adherence on process of hold, look, break points and the visualization of the targets breaking during my pre-shot routine.
Same shells all the time. Chokes are Mod/Imod. Confidence that the density is there when targets are normal 30-40yds as well as far.
Do not change a choke unless it is under 15yds.

With all of that thinking - how is the trigger even able to be pulled by some of you guys?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Seriously? Is that hard to pick one shell from one pocket and a different one from the other pocket because you have a 10 yard blooper paired with a 50 edge-on crosser?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am pretty sure the shell that will break the 50 yard crosser will break the blooper too.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:50 pm 
Crown Grade

Maybe yes, maybe no - 90% of this game is mental; if using a different shot size or choke give someone that edge of confidence, then it is worth it

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:39 pm 
Field Grade

Not being judgemental, but it seems there are very few hunters in this group. Everything is based on clays. Becomes somewhat confusing for new people trying to learn about shot size. Not sure I would shoot #8's at a Pheasant just because it will break clays.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:55 pm 
Crown Grade

You are correct; for pheasants, IMO, it all depends -preserve or wild? Great dog, half-ass dog, no dog? Could mean anything from 6 to 5 to 4 to 2s

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

4's & 2's for pheasants?......do roosters wear helmets in your neck of the woods?

aka Mr. Tactful.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:39 am 
Tournament Grade

It’s simple you can’t shoot larger than 7 1/2 no good reason to use # 9. That leaves two. 7 1/2 for tight choked Guns and most clays courses . 8 for courses that are set short & you use open chokes. Put them in your bag and forget about it.

Boats

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:01 am 
Crown Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
4's & 2's for pheasants?......do roosters wear helmets in your neck of the woods?

No dog on the open prairie and they took off flying starting about 45 yards away, so 4s were the ticket. 2s I usually saved for geese (back when lead was legal in 12 gauge). I still have a box of 20 gauge 3" #2s - those kicked butt on both ends! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I remember my first shotgun a Mossberg 500 20 gauge with a 3" chamber. I didn't know any better and bought those same heavy lead loads.....OMG did they kick!!!

I do have about 20 lbs. of #2 lead left over, I bought it at a tag sale about 30 years ago. I have no idea what I am ever going to use it for. When I click off my kid is going to wonder what to do with all the useless crap I am leaving him! :lol: :lol: :lol:

aka Mr. Tactful.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:03 pm 
Field Grade

I like simple, mod and imod choke and 7.5s. One less thing to think about. Those chokes are in my gun 98% of the time. I subscribe to the choke it or Don’t theory. I will shoot threads on really close targets. Like less than 10 yards. I found that I shoot better not fretting over it as opposed to always wondering if I had the right choke screwed in. For a fun shoot I may just go light mod and mod but if I do, I do it to start with and rarely change during a round.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:

These ain't no pen raised Pheasants were talking about. :wink:

#4's absolutely. No helmets on our birds here in the Midwest, but throw in a 20-25 mph wind combined with birds that have been shot at throughout a long season and are wary as all hell, yes..... #4 all day. Dog or no dog you take what the birds give you.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

Steel #2 wpa’s and #4 lead late season. People think pheasants are easy to take but you often have a straight away flush at long distance and need some horsepower. Ducks tend to offer easier crossing/ incoming shots with exposed vitals and are a whole lot easier cripple to track down. Often offering a second shot on the water. A broken wing pheasant can be very elusive.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:27 pm 
Field Grade

For game, I’ve always tended to lean toward heavier pellets. For late season doves, I might even use 6s but normally 7.5. For ducks, on the marsh, steel BBs or 1s, in timber or the river, 1s and 2s. 1s can be hard to find but they are pretty much my favorite. In the lead days, I preferred 4s and the occasional 5. I feel like I kill more birds “dead” and don’t have to finish or chase as many cripples when I use larger, heavier pellets. I have shot some lead 2s in the past, but they were not very available in my area. They definitely hit hard! I can only wish we had wild pheasants to hunt. The released, pen raised version doesn’t interest me much.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

It's not the name on the shell or size of shot...rather it's the address..

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:35 pm 
Crown Grade

myflatline wrote:
Not being judgemental, but it seems there are very few hunters in this group. Everything is based on clays. Becomes somewhat confusing for new people trying to learn about shot size. Not sure I would shoot #8's at a Pheasant just because it will break clays.

This is the sporting clays forum.........so you have to take that into account.

I have shot #7 1/2 at pheasants 3/4 oz out of a 28 gauge also a buddy used #9 on quail 3/4 oz 28 gauge. Pen raised birds over pointing dogs, you have to get on them pretty quick but the 7 1/2 will work well to 30-40 yards and farther if you can place a head shot.

For tournaments I like to shoot 1 1/8 7 1/2 1300 fps at everything. Mod lower barrel IMod over barrel. If you are recoil sensitive shoot a slower or less weight load.

NSCA #551026

FORUMS are for ENTERTAINMENT ONLY. They don't teach shooting!

{RO

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next