It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What's your clubs policy on show birds, etc?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:54 am 
Presentation Grade

JER2 wrote:
Patently Obvious wrote:
E card for every bird. I practice for hunting so I don’t throw show birds. Shoot what comes out. You can’t get a “show bird” while hunting and then plan your look point, hold point, and shot on the bird you just missed. Get in the box, buddy pushes button, and shoot.

What is your club's policy? Do they make an allowance for a free show pair per station? Make you pay for everything?

I load my target card for several months at my shooting rate and they add some percentage for show birds/broken birds. The more birds you buy at one time the lower per bird cost. Those that practice for registered will rotate the lead off shooter so all the “extra” birds don’t come off one guy’s card. I like the challenge of just reacting to what’s thrown without seeing it ahead of time. During summer leagues the team will go the show bird route but then we switch to hunting guns and no show birds after that’s done.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:23 am 
Field Grade

At my club cost for club members is .30 per target if bought in quantities of 1000. No show birds. If you want to pay non club prices, .45 per target you get 2 show birds per station, maximum 24 show birds per squad per round. I just pay the club price (do the math). They credit no birds and broken birds etc. within reason. We have good, well maintained equipment and get very few of these.

Our weekly fun group always has free show birds courtesy of my wife. She's a former bird hunter who doesn't believe in show pairs when the score doesn't really matter. She prefers to anticipate where the targets will be just like in a hunting situation. She says it helps her to shoot instinctively and is more fun for her. So....she always shoots first in our squad. We stand behind her and point our fingers and discuss look points, break points etc. while she breaks the first targets. Her scores are right up there with the best in the group so we don't argue with her.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:59 am 
Crown Grade

ShowMe wrote:
If the squad doesn't get show birds, the lead-off shooter is at a huge disadvantage.

In that case, the lead off shooter should have to view the show birds from the same vantage point as the rest of the squad, but then, I suppose that's why a different person is the lead off shooter at each station.
The other solution is to simply do away with squads altogether. Have a referee and trapper at each station and just have individual shooters go from one station to the next.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Lets see. Registered birds shooters are permitted show birds to some extent. In practice or daily shooting why would it matter to anyone whether the lead off guy gets to see birds or not? Rotate the lead and all are treated the same. If someone is going to cry about that I'm not sure he would be someone you would want to shoot with.

(Warning: To those that read my posts.)
I don't shoot registered targets so what could I possibly know or have to offer?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Possibly because at many clubs the traps are hidden, wireless, and the descriptions in some cases don’t really give an idea of where or how the target is going to fly?

I’ve shot many clubs where the machines are visible, so you have a pretty good idea of direction and angle, but depending on the course, neither of those somewhat critical pieces of info are available.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Jim Miller wrote:
In practice or daily shooting why would it matter to anyone whether the lead off guy gets to see birds or not?

When I am lead off it matters to me.

My clubs set-up and take-down each time they are open. Each time the course is different, often with hidden traps. Lead-off would often be clueless where the target might be coming from or going. I'm not interested in playing "Where's Waldo?".

I guess if you shot at some boring course that had the same targets day-to-day, week-to-week, month-to-month there would be no need for lookees.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:01 pm 
Limited Edition

Jim Miller wrote:
In practice or daily shooting why would it matter to anyone whether the lead off guy gets to see birds or not?
If you were a competitor you would know why

Jim Miller wrote:
If someone is going to cry about that I'm not sure he would be someone you would want to shoot with.
Don't presume to tell anyone here who we would want to shoot with and who we wouldn't. No one cares.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
Possibly because at many clubs the traps are hidden, wireless, and the descriptions in some cases don’t really give an idea of where or how the target is going to fly?

I’ve shot many clubs where the machines are visible, so you have a pretty good idea of direction and angle, but depending on the course, neither of those somewhat critical pieces of info are available.

More of the clubs here, especially those that can hide the machines, have gone to posting a chart at each station. It lets you know if the intent is to be shot as report or true, what type of target is coming from each trap and what the target is doing - chandelle, flying rabbit, quartering in or out - etc. The chart is laminated so a quick wipe and redo when things change and all is good.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Last edited by oneounceload on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:25 pm 
Crown Grade

JER2 wrote:
Jim Miller wrote:
If you were a competitor you would know why

Jim Miller wrote:
If someone is going to cry about that I'm not sure he would be someone you would want to shoot with.
Don't presume to tell anyone here who we would want to shoot with and who we wouldn't. No one cares.
Braha,ha,ha,ha,ha. You crack me up.

I don't shoot registered targets so what could I possibly know or have to offer?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Do any of you guys know how to have fun shooting? Everybody seems so serious. Life is too short. Learn to have fun while there is still time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:45 pm 
Crown Grade

Jim Miller wrote:
Do any of you guys know how to have fun shooting? Everybody seems so serious. Life is too short. Learn to have fun while there is still time.

Sporting and ammo are too expensive to go around blasting holes in the air, or not blasting at all because you didn't see the target.

If I shot with you on a "no show bird" course, I'd invite you to shoot lead-off on all the stations.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:01 pm 
Crown Grade

And I would be glad to. That just increases the fun factor for me. That is what shooting is all about for me. Fun! I have to ego that needs stroking, I don't need to be a faux-Master class shooter to feel good about myself. I just like to shoot and have fun with my friends.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:29 pm 
Crown Grade

DO you have fun shooting, when you call pull four times, and half the targets are over the ridge, hill, or trees before you saw them? Is that fun for you?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Sure. We just laugh and mark a zero.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:34 pm 
Crown Grade

When we're out for grins and giggles, we doin't bother keeping score at all.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:35 pm 
Crown Grade

Bingo!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Nor do I/we. But if you shoot courses with varied terrain, or many different courses, it’s helpful to have a rough idea of direction and shoot order. Other courses have several machines in view, some not even servicing the station you’re on.

Ymmv, but it’s your money, so do with it as you please. When the target is fairly obvious, I’ll take a shot at it, bun when it’s not, I can find it easier with the gun out of the process.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Why I mentioned above that courses are putting the "menu" at each stand so you have an idea of target types and directions. With most now going away from show birds on non-tournament days, it just makes sense.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
DO you have fun shooting, when you call pull four times, and half the targets are over the ridge, hill, or trees before you saw them? Is that fun for you?

{hs#

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:15 pm 
Crown Grade

We sometimes decide to let the puller pull any target in any order he likes unannounced. But then shooting sporting is not a life or death situation for us. We shoot for fun (and bragging rights, too).