It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What's your clubs policy on show birds, etc?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Jim Miller wrote:
Sure. We just laugh and mark a zero.

Jim Miller wrote:
But then shooting sporting is not a life or death situation for us. We shoot for fun (and bragging rights, too).

Then why do you bother with marking a scoresheet?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Many times we don't keep score. Oh, did you miss the bragging rights thingy?

(Warning: To those that read my posts.)
I don't shoot registered targets so what could I possibly know or have to offer?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:09 pm 
Crown Grade

If you are just shooting for laughs, giggles, and bragging rights, what do you brag about?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:16 pm 
Limited Edition

Remember that the club has paid for every target. So paying for all of mine is no problem.
Were I shoot we pay with a volume discount and get 5% for breakage. That is built into the price and no one complains.
How many show birds do I give a single shooter versus a 5 man squad?
Single shooter x 15 stations = 130 targets
5 man x 15 stations = 106 targets per shooter.

How do you do that fairly? Does the single shooter get the extra 24 targets for the same price?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:26 pm 
Limited Edition

Jim Miller wrote:

LOL your scores were never anything to brag about from what I saw.....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

JER2 wrote:
Jim Miller wrote:

LOL your scores were never anything to brag about from what I saw.....

Why don't you two just get a room? :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

ShowMe wrote:
If you are just shooting for laughs, giggles, and bragging rights, what do you brag about?

Gonna go out on a limb and guess that if someone was shooting for bragging rights then that is what they would brag about. Just a wild guess!

the Rev wrote:
Remember that the club has paid for every target. So paying for all of mine is no problem.
Were I shoot we pay with a volume discount and get 5% for breakage. That is built into the price and no one complains.
How many show birds do I give a single shooter versus a 5 man squad?
Single shooter x 15 stations = 130 targets
5 man x 15 stations = 106 targets per shooter.

How do you do that fairly? Does the single shooter get the extra 24 targets for the same price?

My club charges 21 cents a bird. At that price, I choose not to complain. If there's a problem trap then we skip it and leave a note for management as management requests that we do. Problem traps are pretty rare at my club. Then again, I've never loaded up enough birds for only a single round, so maybe doing it that way would change my mind. I typically load 2,000 at a time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:44 am 
Crown Grade

ShowMe wrote:
I hope you are just playing dumb here.

(Warning: To those that read my posts.)
I don't shoot registered targets so what could I possibly know or have to offer?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:17 pm 
Field Grade

At my home club we get a "free" show pair per station. Unless the traps have been moved, none of the regulars ask to see them.

At another club I shoot at, they claimed they were losing 3 cases every time they were open. They raised the rates, eliminated show the show pair and installed a card system. They claimed their loss was due to 2 instructors. They sure pissed off a lot of people and spend a ton of money to supposably deal with 2 problem people.

I'm kinda' cheap, so, if it's flying, I'm shooting.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I never understood why people with problems don't deal with the problem.

They should have done something with the 2 people causing the problem.

Instead of doing that they charge everybody.

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife

Krieghoff K 80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Cletus McGinn wrote:
At my home club we get a "free" show pair per station. Unless the traps have been moved, none of the regulars ask to see them.

At the two clubs I shoot the traps are moved each time the sporting course is opened. I guess that's why they give show targets.

A sporting course that doesn't move the traps doesn't seem very sporting.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ShowMe wrote:

That's just plain laziness on the Clubs part and kind of a kick to the nether regions of the shooters that help to keep them open.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

Cletus McGinn wrote:

At another club I shoot at, they claimed they were losing 3 cases every time they were open. They raised the rates, eliminated show the show pair and installed a card system. They claimed their loss was due to 2 instructors. They sure pissed off a lot of people and spend a ton of money to supposably deal with 2 problem people.

Sounds like you drank the Kool aid if you believe that Cletus. (Cletus) how'd you come up with that by the way. That club has always blames everything but the real problem. After losing so much business due to mis management, and the main coach leaving on his own with his customers behind him, the card system may save them. Especially since the club has now run the other instructor off due to other issues, not stealing targets. See you soon. Maybe tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:14 pm 
Limited Edition

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:
I never understood why people with problems don't deal with the problem.
It's called being gutless

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:23 pm 
Crown Grade

hopper810 wrote:
ShowMe wrote:

That's just plain laziness on the Clubs part and kind of a kick to the nether regions of the shooters that help to keep them open.

Some of that I will respond to with "it depends"

Most courses around me have several courses, at least 1 of which is set up as the beginner shooter's course and is generally left the same way for 2 months or so so that new folks can come back, remember what the targets are and have some success shooting a known target. The other courses, designed for medium to tournament shooters get changed more often. That easy course is typically nicknamed "skeet in the woods".

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:36 pm 
Field Grade

1redvette wrote:
Cletus McGinn wrote:

Sounds like you drank the Kool aid if you believe that Cletus. (Cletus) how'd you come up with that by the way. That club has always blames everything but the real problem. After losing so much business due to mis management, and the main coach leaving on his own with his customers behind him, the card system may save them. Especially since the club has now run the other instructor off due to other issues, not stealing targets. See you soon. Maybe tomorrow.

Wow. I don't think you know me? It sounds like your club has similar issues?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:54 pm 
Field Grade

I don't think their is any standard price Quail creek is .39 for members .49 for non members south florida is .30 for members and .50 for guests Quail also credits you for show pairs I belong to Galltain sporting clays in Montana and members there pay .15 non members are .45 Billings rod and gun is I think .30 for members .50 for non members I think the privately owned clubs tend to be a little higher than the member owned clubs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We don't get show birds but at $ .21 a target I am not complaining.

My card how 2,000 targets and I can shoot any time if the weather would get better.

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife

Krieghoff K 80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:10 pm 
Field Grade

Club A- .20 members .30 non members. Course is changed every week. 1 or 2 show pair is usual, no chg.
Club B- .25 members. .35 nonmembers. 2 courses changed every 7-10 days. The club adds 10% to your card for show or broken targets.
Club C- .35 members. Not sure about non members. Course changed every week. No provision for show pairs.
All 3 of these clubs have registered and/or circuit shoots and have good participation.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

My home club has one show pair per station. I am sure they loose a bit of money with folks claiming broken clays that aren't, but most of us will let them know when we shoot extra.

We have a club around here that hasn't changed the layout in two years. I shot an event out there in '16 and recently shot there again, not a single change... it was sad. I have no idea how they keep the range open, they don't allow or offer carts and the course is laid out so there is a lot of back tracking. It is sad because the land the beautiful and the facilities are the best for 100 miles in any direction but the ownership is just so bad at running a range.