It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FITASC dress code
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:28 am 
Crown Grade

I really don't understand why folks complain about the FITASC dress code... and oh boy (or Geez Louise!), do they complain. But as I review the rules once again to prepare for another refereeing season in a couple of weeks, I again find the FITASC dress code to be quite permissive, even overly so.

This is the current FITASC dress code:

CHAPTER 17 - DRESS
17.1 Competition participants must be properly dressed. Short shorts are not permitted; only long shorts (Bermuda type at most 5 cm above the knee) are permitted. It is not permissible to be naked under a skeet vest. Shirts must have at least short sleeves and a collar or, without a collar, must have a round neck (like a tee shirt). Wearing sandals is not permitted for safety reasons. The shooter's number must be attached to his/her back and be fully visible. Any failure to observe these rules is penalised by a first warning from the referee and, if the shooter fails to rectify his/her dress, subsequent penalties may extend to expulsion from the competition by decision of the jury. At the opening ceremony, during the parade of National teams, their members have to be in the attire of their National team, or wearing a pair of pressed trousers & blazer. At the closing ceremony, all the awarded shooters shall attend the prize giving, either in the attire of their National team, or wearing a pair of pressed trousers and blazer.

The admonition that participants must be "properly dressed" is not only vague but also subject to highly variable national, regional, local, ethnic and cultural norms. For this reason, this statement must not be enforced through any privileged position of real or imagined authority, lest FITASC be accused of being less than culturally sensitive and universally welcoming.

Let's start at the top:

Shirts: Nowhere in this rule does it say that a shooter must actually wear a shirt when shooting. If the shooter chooses to wear a shirt, however, it must have sleeves (regardless of how short the sleeves might be) and a collar (but even a T-shirt collar is fine). Even during the opening and closing ceremonies a competitor is not required to wear a shirt, only pressed trousers and a blazer. It may be difficult to affix the number to one's back without a shirt, but isn't that what vests are for? Which brings us to....

Vests: Clearly vests can be worn when shooting, but shooters are specifically prohibited from being naked under a skeet vest. Any article of clothing at all (jock strap, loincloth, socks, etc) worn with a skeet vest is perfectly ok. If a shooter really wants (or needs) to shoot in the nude, yet also needs some way to visibly display her number on her back, she is encouraged to select a vest specifically made for FITASC (preferred), sporting clays or trap competition, and to avoid the use of skeet vests at all costs.

Pants: Nowhere in this rule does it say that the shooter must actually wear pants when shooting. If the shooter chooses to wear pants when shooting, however, and the legs of those pants are short, that is, above the knee, those legs cannot end higher than 5 cm above the knee. Fair enough... we don't want anarchy, do we? Competitors are warned, however, that pants (specifically pressed trousers) are required in the opening and closing ceremonies (and don't forget the blazer).

Shoes: Nowhere in this rules does it state that a shooter must actually wear shoes when shooting. If the shooter chooses to wear shoes when shooting, however, those shoes cannot be sandals (OED def: A light shoe with either an openwork upper or straps attaching the sole to the foot), for safety reasons. Any other kind of footwear, or none at all, are clearly permissible. It should be noted that shoes (other than sandals) are also optional during the opening and closing ceremonies.

I hope this clarification of the rules helps in the selection of your shooting attire as you prepare for another wonderful season of FITASC competition.

:wink:

Post subject: Re: FITASC dress code
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

WOW! You really don't have anything to do I am guessing.

Most any rule can have things read into them.

Most food places tell you "No shirt, No shoes. No service" I guess you would think it was OK to go in them with no pants!

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife

Krieghoff K 80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:42 am 
Limited Edition

Legal?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:50 am 
Limited Edition

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:

Most any rule can have things read into them.

Most food places tell you "No shirt, No shoes. No service" I guess you would think it was OK to go in them with no pants!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:50 am 
Crown Grade

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:
Big ice storm going on here right now. Gotta have something to think about instead of worrying about more trees and branches coming down.

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:
Well, that's the problem with rules and trying to tell folks what to do. Once you start, you can't stop until you cover all the possible loopholes.

And yes, if the sign said that... with shirt and shoes but without pants, I'd expect - and demand - service.

JER2 - absolutely legal for FITASC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:29 am 
Crown Grade

So, you can't dress like this?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This thread should be the poster child for DILLIGAF!!!! :mrgreen:

aka Mr. Tactful.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:29 am 
Presentation Grade

Just wear black tie and a top hat and ya'll should be fine. It's not like they're asking for tails...sheesh.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:52 pm 
Crown Grade

blackandgold wrote:
Just wear black tie and a top hat and ya'll should be fine. It's not like they're asking for tails...sheesh.

I'd go with a tweed jacket, breeks, and maybe an Ascot tie.

http://vintagers.org/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:32 pm 
Crown Grade

JER2 wrote:
Legal?

Legal? Yes
But just because you CAN doesn't always mean you SHOULD..... :wink:

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:14 pm 
Limited Edition

oneounceload wrote:
JER2 wrote:
Legal?

Legal? Yes
But just because you CAN doesn't always mean you SHOULD..... :wink:

I'd wear them if I knew they'd F with someone's mental game

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:27 pm 
Crown Grade

If I wore those, it would be messing with little mental game I have,,,,,:lol:

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:35 pm 
Crown Grade

Finally, there is something more heinous looking than Crocs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Mike, you did forward this to France, didn't you? (As I type that, I can't help but think of the Hitler video that's been used for several scenarios.)
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:36 am 
Field Grade

Enjoy.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42mADaoCFEA

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Member
Regarde l'oiseau

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Will there be a test?

"For the love of the game..."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

B.L.E. wrote:
blackandgold wrote:

I'd go with a tweed jacket, breeks, and maybe an Ascot tie.

http://vintagers.org/

I support it. {hs#

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:33 pm 
Crown Grade

And make a SxS mandatory as well!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:15 pm 
Limited Edition

oneounceload wrote:
If I wore those, it would be messing with little mental game I have,,,,,:lol:

That's it, I'm buying a pair

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:38 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
And make a SxS mandatory as well!

With the correct number of triggers.