It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mike McAlpine Clinics at Shenecoy Sportsmen
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Shenecoy Sportsmen in McConnellstown, PA will host Mike McAlpine clinics June 4-8, 2018. Located in central PA near Raystown Lake. These dates are the week following the Hardy Classic so spend a few days with us.

Available clinics are: 3 day Target Reading and Presentation Seminar (TRAPS)
2 day Mini TRAPS
1 and 2 day Target Setting Schools
1 day Shooting Schools
1 day Long Bird Clinic
1 day FITASC Clinic

Post subject: Re: Mike McAlpine Clinics at Shenecoy Sportsmen
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:37 am 
Tournament Grade

Here is some more info from Mike on the clinics.

All classes do have some classroom information each morning and then we finish the day with a discussion about the material that was presented and make sure that we are all clear about this material. I will give a manual to all students in each class. The three day school will have more information in the manual simply because we discuss and do more things in this class. The target setting course is about all aspects of setting a safe, smooth running and balanced course plus setting great presentations. We do change machines (if allowed by the club) in the multiple day courses. There is just not enough time to do this is a one day course. I always try to have a couple of machines we can set problem presentations on. This again must be approved by the club

The three day school covers all aspects of shooting clay targets. This includes but are not limited the things listed. safety, gun fit, eye dominance and other eye problems, all methods and when certain methods might be a better choice. Basic fundamentals and why they are important, shooting and practice strategy, how to handle target setters and how to counter presentations to take the setter out of the picture. We put an emphasis on target reading. If a shooter doesn't understand what a target is doing how can the expect to hit it? All of these things together will create more consistency in a shooter

I always get to know my students through questions. I like to know what their natural method is and any problems they think they have. I want to know if they shoot tournaments or just want to get better and have more fun. This makes no difference to me. It is very important that I know what they do for a living. The reason being an engineer, doctor chemist and so on may be very analytical in the way the understand information. A salesman is totally different than these people so I may change my delivery of the information for each group. I always teach to the individuals needs and wants. Remember, I was a salesman for many years so my communication skills are good.

The one day schools will include a lot of these things but I just can't get to all of the information in one day. We will work on the basic fundamental and shooting methods plus gun fit and eye problems if needed. I encourage each class to take notes in their manual and also to highlight things that are working for them. Not all shooters are a like and some of the things will work for some and not for others. If a student just doesn't grasp a concept after working on it for a while I tell them just to skip this part and take it up at another time.

I have been a clay target shooter for almost 50 years now. I have shot all disciplines so I can give advice based on experience. I have been a target setter for 32 years and truly under what most target setters are trying to do. I have been an instructor and coach since 1990 (28 years) and understand how to suggest solutions for all shooting problems. My background gives me a lot of information about all of the clay target games from many different sources. I don't tell people how to shoot, I help them figure out how to shoot and I never try to change something that is working for them. I just want to give them options. I ask a lot of questions and through these questions and answers I lead my students to come up with the logical answer themselves. I can also demonstrate any thing that I teach. I could keep going but as with teaching, too much information is negative because it can cause confusion. I hope this is enough of an explanation to describe my school.

Sincerely,

Mike McAlpine
The Clay Target Academy

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

We still need a few more people to meet the minimums to run this clinic. There are lots of choices here and we would like to see more participation.

Contact lori@shenecoy.net or Mike mmc9024@aol.com

You can also PM me. I have taken the TRAPS 3 day course before and learned a lot from Mike.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:40 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

This class is close to filling up. I would appreciate your help with this school. I can promise you that you WILL learn a lot and have a fun experience.

Mike McAlpine

I never change what is working. I do give my students options when their natural method doesn't work on some presentations. I always teach to the individual.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:18 pm 
Crown Grade

BUT Mike, you weren't one of the top dogs mentioned in that other thread.................how could you POSSIBLY have ANYTHING to offer - at least according to those folks?

:wink: Sarcasm off

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:34 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

One,

As you may have noticed, I don't like getting into a pissing match on this or any site. It is just a no win situation. I mentioned this to David in an email I sent him. When in business any time you take a no give stance you will offend half of your market. This is the same in politics. I have never understood this but I guess I am a little dimwitted. Any person, even me who doesn't look at opinions different from their own is doomed to make market mistakes. I am not going to do this because I want to work with all shooters.

Now, with that said, after a thorough debate I may make up my mind on a subject. Something like who would make a better president, Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump. I made this decision based on each candidates stance on many subjects and whether I thought the person was honest. I still feel that my decision was the right one for the country and still support my candidate.

Mike McAlpine

As far as not being one of the instructors mentioned on the other post, I believe I was mentioned by David himself and in a very positive way. There was another person who included me in their reply. It was also positive. I know you are just pulling my leg but be careful. My wife tells me that pulling my leg is like pulling my finger. Now I don't really understand what she means but remember I am a little dimwitted,

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

There IS a LOT that was on Facebook that didnt make it into the other thread. For example, did ya'll, know David Radulovich spent all night crying on Gary Fitzjarrel's shoulder because Don Currie hurt David's feelings? I tried to convey some of that with the goofy picture Mark Baltazar photoshopped.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mike McAlpine wrote:
This class is close to filling up. I would appreciate your help with this school. I can promise you that you WILL learn a lot and have a fun experience.

Mike McAlpine

I never change what is working. I do give my students options when their natural method doesn't work on some presentations. I always teach to the individual.

Trap shooting has been added to the choices for Mike's clinics. A full day for $250 with 5 people or half day clinics for $150 (5 people in the morning and 5 in the afternoon). We can combine full and half day participants.

We need just a few more to fill out a day for the sporting clinics.