It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Intermittent eye dominance issue
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:26 am 
Crown Grade

I am a two eyed, right handed, right dominant shooter.

Shot in a tournament on Sunday. Towards the end of the round, I was getting tired, and could tell my non-dominant eye was taking over.

Shot a couple target afterwards winking off the left eye. I could tell I was behind all the right to left crossers, and was able to correct and hit them.

I haven’t really tracked this issue like I should, but I am guessing about 10% of the time I just can’t hit some very easy right to left targets. I know something isn’t right, but can’t quite put my finger on it, but now pretty sure it is an eye issue.

When I say it happens 10% of the time, I can shoot 10 tournaments, and it creeps in 1 time out of 10, it does not happen a majority of the time I shoot. Normally happens late in rounds, when I am tired, and or dehydrated.

I know the easy fix is a dot, close an eye, or wink it off.

My concern is am I handicapping myself on 90% of the targets to fix a 10% issue?

Any other thoughts, suggestions or fixes is appreciated.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

Post subject: Re: Intermittent eye dominance issue
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:39 am 
Crown Grade

Do you shoot high gun or low gun? I don't really have a dominant eye. If I mount right handed, my left eye takes over. If I mount left handed, my right eye takes over. Since I'm right handed, I shoot off my right shoulder. I do also shoot two eyes open without dot or a tape but I shoot mainly low gun and "soft mount." I can't premount as that will make my eyes switch. As long as I keep the gun out of my vision for as long as possible and I maintain all my focus on the bird, I'm good to go. As soon as I start doing things to block my vision, my eyes don't like it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:03 am 
Crown Grade

I shoot a combination of full/hard mount, and cheater mount ala Bill McGuire, mount then gun, then drop my shoulder to get the gun out of the way.

I don't "think" it is a mount issue. My thought is if it is a mount issue it would be a problem 100% of the time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:43 am 
Presentation Grade

Your eyes (Visual System)will be the first thing that fatigues. Exercise them for shooting.

On another note might you be doing too much target watching of other shooters during your round?
If you are you are wasting your visual endurance and that kreeps in sooner than later which leads to frustration and that’s one emotion you need to avoid at all costs.

"I instruct to break targets...I coach to compete".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes re fatigue AND --- there are levels of eye dominance... Some folks are full right or left, some are mild right or left, and others are mid -- my guess is you are really mid or mildly Right. There are a few tests for this, but a simple one is to have you quickly point your dominant hand finger at a friend's dominant eye and have them tell you where their finger is centered in relation to your face; if it's fully over your right eye, you are right dominant; if it's over your nose, you are split or mid dominant; if it's half-way between your dominant eye and nose, you are mild dominant.

The simple answer is, "K80, 32" flat-rib bbls, S&S custom stock, 55/45, Bornaghi 1oz 1250 7-½'s, M/M, Castelani, Lonesome Charlie, K-lube, qMaxx blue, Bore-snake, green Brake-cleen, and a very cold and dry Stoli martini."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:37 am 
Diamond Grade

A couple years ago, during the first event of the state shoot, I discovered that eye dominance is NOT chiseled in stone. I've since learned that there are a number of factors that can, and do, affect it.

First is age. As we get older our vision starts to change and needing some "cheaters" to read is just the beginning. Depending on what changes we experience, the non-dominant eye can step up and try to help out. That may be a good thing for our day-to-day activities but when we're trying to focus on that edgy 40yd crosser, not so much. And as mentioned, fatigue can be the underlying cause.

The other biggie that often gets overlooked is hydration. Especially in mild and cooler conditions. One of the first things affected with even the slightest bit of dehydration is our vision. And once again, our dominant eye isn't at 100% so the non-dominant one tries to "help". At my age, staying hydrated isn't that difficult... If I'm not looking for a place to pee about every hour or so, I'm probably a little dehydrated. :lol:

My "fix" happened by accident. The Rx lens in my shooting glasses for my dominant eye got damaged and when the replacement got here it was the dark version of the tint. I was PO'd but since the company that did it was closed for the weekend, and I had a local tournament to shoot, I put it in and headed out. It felt a little weird for a few minutes but about halfway thru the shoot, it dawned on me that my non-dominant eye had NOT tried to 'help out'. Hmmm. I decided to give the mismatched tints a little more time to see if that might be what was helping to eliminate the switching dominance. That was several months ago and so far, no more problems.

I'm not sure what difference it makes other than with the darker tint, that eye needs to dilate a little more and with the "extra" light coming in, tends to see a little better without any help from the other eye. I dunno but right now, it ain't broke so I ain't trying to fix it!
:D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm thinking if your left eye was taking over on R to L crosser you would be doubling the lead? Could be wrong? Whatever the case may be, I found that a hard mount with tired eyes and a R to L was a surefire way of having my L eye take over as it was looking over the bbl. Inserting from a lower mount helped.

"I sar a chip off a dat."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:55 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks for the replies.

Definitely going to work on staying hydrated. I need to do this in everyday life anyway. I don't drink near the amount of water I should be doing.

Jack, there is a video of some eye dr. that has an eye dominance test with a cell phone and pointing at the camera. I do that periodically and if I am doing it right, I am strong right eyed dominant. I'll see if I can find it and post a link, might help someone else out.

I am getting older and for sure need cheaters more and more, so there is something to be said for that.

I really need to work on getting more comfortable with low/lower gun so this might just be the incentive to start working on that again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

xsshooter. Over the years I have done a lot of work on this subject and many of the Olympians can shoot good scores with both eyes open but to shoot perfect scores they need to close an eye. Depending on the degree of dominance, tiredness, stress, even light shining from the left or right can influence your bird barrel relationship as you trigger the shot. You more or less answered the question yourself when you said you wink your left eye to see a better sight picture. I am coaching in Europe at the moment but I will be back in the US mid May, please give me a call and I will see if I can help.

www.peteblakeley.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:03 pm 
Crown Grade

video link to eye dominance test, that part starts at 7:44 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD3TKy-FCnA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:03 pm 
Crown Grade

video link to eye dominance test, that part starts at 7:44 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD3TKy-FCnA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

So according to my wife I’m R 2.5 L3. The doctor speaks of different shooting methods for the different results. I guess I’m central vision? What would the recommendation be for that. Gun down, gun up?

Yes my worst targets are coming straight in or going away.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

Dry eyes cause me to sometimes go cross dominant. I always keep drops in my pocket. Wind and a high pollen count really exacerbates the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:52 am 
Tournament Grade

I had cataract surgery few years ago. Implants give me distance focus right eye close left. Ordinary vision it averages and I don’t have to wear glasses. Reading specific glasses correct and both eyes have the same focus.

Shotgun shooting with glasses that correct for distance I see targets in the air fine. However if I pre mount and look down the barrel like a rifle the left eye wants to take over and focus on the front bead. Ride the target mounted same thing left will take over.

My Solution is focus on the target both eyes wide open pick up the movement with my whole body and shoot soon as the gun is properly mounted. “Trap type” target close my left eye. If I Shot trap exclusively would use tape left lens. Infrequent trap target closing works fine. Tape or closing you loose depth perception, disadvantage most sporting clays presentations.

Works for me.

Bass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:52 am 
Crown Grade

Fatigue can cause eye issues. The other thread about 1oz shells ties in here nicely. Shooting 1-1/8 shells going fast will fatigue you, thus causing eye issues.

Likewise dehydration causes eye issues.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:35 am 
Crown Grade

So you guys are saying I need to hydrate more? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNGWn-aWn5g

Warning lots of expletives in the video

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:03 am 
Diamond Grade

Surprised no one has mentioned gun fit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:11 am 
Crown Grade

Bob Stander wrote:
Surprised no one has mentioned gun fit.

Bob, I thought about that, but my thinking (which may be incorrect) if it was a fit issue that would be causing me problems all the time and just not sporadically?

Maybe when I'm fatigued my mount gets sloppy and I don't even notice it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:47 am 
Presentation Grade

I suffer from cross firing at times.
As you stated, you were getting tired and your eyes started cross firing.
That happens to me as well.
Phil Kiner has studied cross firing a lot and generously has offered to help
people with that affliction. Look on his website for his phone number and give him
a call. He'll be glad to help.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:34 am 
Presentation Grade

xsshooter wrote:
So you guys are saying I need to hydrate more? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNGWn-aWn5g

Warning lots of expletives in the video

Thanks that was funny

"I instruct to break targets...I coach to compete".