It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Intermittent eye dominance issue
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

My cross dominance is fixed never changes. Easier to figure out. Shooting buddy of mine is diabetic his cross dominance comes and goes catching him by surprise with missed targets. Still keeping the bead out of the picture shoot as soon as the gun is mounted a successful plan

Bass

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jim if your shooting right handed and your behind a right to left bird it’s not a dominance issue. If it were it would be just the opposite. You would shoot in front of the right to left and behind the left to right. Most likely increasing the conscious relationship between the barrel and the target causing you to slow down Rich:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:17 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Listen to Rich Colo

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:00 pm 
Field Grade

I agree with Gil!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:52 am 
Limited Edition

idoc wrote:
Jim if your shooting right handed and your behind a right to left bird it’s not a dominance issue. If it were it would be just the opposite. You would shoot in front of the right to left and behind the left to right. Most likely increasing the conscious relationship between the barrel and the target causing you to slow down Rich:

I'm going to respectfully disagree. Maybe I suffer from a different issue, I am right handed, shoot right handed, and have to shoot low/unmounted . When a target comes from my right, to my left, my left eye is looking across the barrel, and i see a X, 2 barrels. A target coming from my left, to the right, My left eye is not over or looking across the barrel, and everything looks great. Oddly, give me a few targets and i can shoot left handed, both eyes open just as well, and have the same screwed up sight picture, just the opposite... And I will pass almost every eye dominance test as right eye. I'm starting to come up with a band-aid fix for this issue, I have a shooter on my team that is experiencing this same issue, and a little piece of white tape on the right side of the rib by the bead has made a HUGE improvement in both of us...

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:18 am 
Crown Grade

Chuck Dryke and Gil Ash helped me get through a similar eye dominance problem. Chuck has passed on, but if you really want to solve your problem, listen to Gil Ash. And then seek him out and spend sometime. Not a quick fix, as it will take sometime — but at least you know from the get go you’ve got the right guy helping you.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:18 am 
Crown Grade

Chuck Dryke and Gil Ash helped me get through a similar eye dominance problem. Chuck has passed on, but if you really want to solve your problem, listen to Gil Ash. And then seek him out and spend sometime. Not a quick fix, as it will take sometime — but at least you know from the get go you’ve got the right guy helping you.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:51 am 
Presentation Grade

idoc wrote:

I'm glad someone has followed through and confirmed my suspicions posted earlier in the thread. Thanks {hs#

"If presidents can't do it to their wives, they do it to their country."
-Mel Brooks

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:23 am 
Tournament Grade

dogknott wrote:
idoc wrote:

I'm going to respectfully disagree. Maybe I suffer from a different issue, I am right handed, shoot right handed, and have to shoot low/unmounted . When a target comes from my right, to my left, my left eye is looking across the barrel, and i see a X, 2 barrels. A target coming from my left, to the right, My left eye is not over or looking across the barrel, and everything looks great. Oddly, give me a few targets and i can shoot left handed, both eyes open just as well, and have the same screwed up sight picture, just the opposite... And I will pass almost every eye dominance test as right eye. I'm starting to come up with a band-aid fix for this issue, I have a shooter on my team that is experiencing this same issue, and a little piece of white tape on the right side of the rib by the bead has made a HUGE improvement in both of us...

I suspect I suffer from something similar. It's definitely intermittent. The more I shoot the worse it gets. I'm right eye dominant - will pass every test that way strongly. I'm primarily a skeet shooter and my issues pop up at L1, L2, L3, and L8. On these stations I have to close my left eye. On everything else, I'm two eyes and have no issues. None. It started on L8, then became a problem on L1, and recently L2. L3 appears to be a "transition" target - I'm not exactly sure what I see there. One eye or two, I struggle. At the moment, I shoot L3 with both eyes but to break it consistently it "feels" wrong - like I'm shooting RIGHT AT IT. It breaks, so there must be lead, but my brain can't process it anymore. I just seems all wrong. I don't even bother trying trying to shoot L1, L2, or L8 with both eyes anymore - it's one or bust, and they break consistently. I don't like shooting like this - when I was shooting my best a few years back I was two eyes all the time and never though about it. Now its one more thing I have to remember when I step up on the pad. Oddly enough, I shoot doubles at L2 and L3 with no problems. I've gotten in the habit of closing an eye on Station 1 doubles after I shoot the high house because I have so much time and I'm paranoid - not sure if I really need to do it. But I'll stack Station 2 doubles all day with both eyes - just don't expect me to hit the low house single that way.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:38 pm 
Field Grade

SirSkeetsALot wrote:
idoc wrote:

I'm glad someone has followed through and confirmed my suspicions posted earlier in the thread. Thanks {hs#

That makes 3 of us. Generally if right handed and left eye takes over, you’ll be 2-3 feet out front of a 25 yard right to left crosser. On a left to right at 25 yards you’ll be 2-3 feet behind. I can quickly tell when looking over a students shoulder if his off eye took over. Most of the time when this happens they will miss in the same spot every time. Kind of like grouping in the wrong place.
Some time back I read somewhere that on a right to left crosser, the left eye will be the first to see and lock on to the target. On left to right crosser, the right eye is the first to get a lock on the target. This may explain why right handed shooters tend to have more issues with the left eye taking over on right to left targets. The left eye is first to gain focus and doesn’t want to concede to the right eye. Of course I could be wrong about all of this with my memory and I’m no mental giant. Last year I had an issue myself with left eye trying to take over on right to left birds. I’m fairly strong right eyed and it did not happen all the time but enough to become frustrated. What worked for me was low gun, or keeping the gun out of my vision and turning my head enough for my eyes to be square to the target when I first picked it up. Then smoothly move, mount and shoot while maintaining focus on the target the whole time. Removing my bead has also helped with this and my shooting in general. I did that a good while back and now find a bead to be a huge distraction.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Turpentine1 wrote:
SirSkeetsALot wrote:
idoc wrote:

That makes 3 of us. Generally if right handed and left eye takes over, you’ll be 2-3 feet out front of a 25 yard right to left crosser. On a left to right at 25 yards you’ll be 2-3 feet behind. I can quickly tell when looking over a students shoulder if his off eye took over. Most of the time when this happens they will miss in the same spot every time. Kind of like grouping in the wrong place.
Some time back I read somewhere that on a right to left crosser, the left eye will be the first to see and lock on to the target. On left to right crosser, the right eye is the first to get a lock on the target. This may explain why right handed shooters tend to have more issues with the left eye taking over on right to left targets. The left eye is first to gain focus and doesn’t want to concede to the right eye. Of course I could be wrong about all of this with my memory and I’m no mental giant. Last year I had an issue myself with left eye trying to take over on right to left birds. I’m fairly strong right eyed and it did not happen all the time but enough to become frustrated. What worked for me was low gun, or keeping the gun out of my vision and turning my head enough for my eyes to be square to the target when I first picked it up. Then smoothly move, mount and shoot while maintaining focus on the target the whole time. Removing my bead has also helped with this and my shooting in general. I did that a good while back and now find a bead to be a huge distraction.

I think you're spot on. It's a deceivingly vexing problem. It doesn't occur all the time, and when it does occur, it's to varying degrees. In my case, I can "fool" myself into believing that it's all in my head. If I apply an occlusion device for a week or so and then remove it, my two-eyed breaks will go through the roof. I'm superman... for a while. Then the reprogramming sets in, and it's back to problems left-right. The aspect of doubles fascinates me - I can struggle with L2 singles when I'm in the "bad" zone, but throw me double on 2 and I'll stack them at 2/3. Its almost like the faster you have to react to a target - ie: the less time you have to think - the better chance you have of you're dominant eye doing it's job. Give your brain time to think about it, and all bets are off.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:31 am 
Diamond Grade

Many Olympians who have this problem solve it with an occluder. Multi gold medalist Kim Rhode is one.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:46 am 
Tournament Grade

i'm currently occluding - it's miserable at the moment. So far it solved my problem with 4 birds and created problems with 21 more. It's like learning how to reshoot every station. The birds feel faster and my timing is way off. I'm convinced that occluders work to solve cross firing/cross dominant problems, and I clearly have a problem, but it would be easy to tempt me to go back to closing an eye on those 4 birds right now. We shall see how things progress...

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:46 am 
Tournament Grade

i'm currently occluding - it's miserable at the moment. So far it solved my problem with 4 birds and created problems with 21 more. It's like learning how to reshoot every station. The birds feel faster and my timing is way off. I'm convinced that occluders work to solve cross firing/cross dominant problems, and I clearly have a problem, but it would be easy to tempt me to go back to closing an eye on those 4 birds right now. We shall see how things progress...

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:50 am 
Field Grade

You have the same problem I used to have. I am a left handed person and started shooting left handed. All was fine for awhile, then I started comeing home with a bad bruise on my left cheek. After my father and some other shooters got involved and watched what I was doing to see why I was getting so beat up thay noticed I was leaning over with my head so that I could see with my right eye. I was about 12 years old at the time and did not even know I was doing it (new shooter also). They all came to the same conclusion, I was right eye dominent. (had to switch, I shoot right handed now) I suspect you think you are right eye dominent, but are in fact are left eyed. I read somewhere it is very common for women to be left eye dominant and men to be right eyed. Simple test to give yourself to check yourself again. Cut a small 1/2 inch square hole in a 20 inch piece of cardboard and look through the small hole with both eyes open, move cardboard around until you focus on just one item, cover your left eye with your left hand and see if the item your focused on is gone. Then try with your right eye. The item will not move when you cover your week eye, but will move when you cover your dominant eye. Try this 3 times a day, morning, noon, and night for 2-3 days and see if stays the same or changes. It might change latter in day as you tire. Let me know how you do!!! As stated above Phil is a better eye man. This is only one way to find dominent eye. Have any questions about this just ask. Good Luck and Break-em all.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:44 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Jim

What specific targets are giving you problems.
L1-2-3?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:56 pm 
Crown Grade

I shoot mostly sporting. the day in question anything similar to a low 2, 3 or 4 on the skeet field was giving me fits.

one target in particular was a right to left crosser. I was standing on a 12 foot tower, and the target was coming from below my feet about 30 yards to the right. The target would get to an altitude of about 5 feet above my head, with very little right to left movement at that point.

total cupcake, just had to shoot the left side of the target, but was behind every single one of them.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:44 pm 
Field Grade

instead of no correction for your left eye, get a weak correction. For example if your normal perscription is +2.00 diopters get +1.00. That way your right eye will have the best image of the target and your brain will use that image when you are shooting.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:22 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Jim if you left eye was taking over you would have been ahead of that target not behind. Email me you contacts let’s talk about this .... gil@ospschool.com

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:33 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I can help you

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next