It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Iclays elo ranking
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:48 am 
Field Grade

I like the elo system, but am having a little trouble understanding how it works. For example

David Clifford and I have about the same ELO scores in TX Sporting Clays. Around 2550

David Clifford shoots a tournament with 104 shooters, in which he is beaten by 9 shooters with lower ELO scores than him. Three of them who beat him have sub 1400 scores. Also, he fails to beat anyone with higher ELO points than him. He makes +8 points.

In contrast, I shoot a tournament with 57 shooters in which I’m beaten by 3 shooters who have lower ELO scores than me. One of them is sub 1400. However I also manage to beat a shooter who has a higher ELO than me. Yet I made +7 ELO points. (One less than Clifford)

Intuitively, I feel I had a better day than Clifford. So why did I make less points than him?

Post subject: Re: Iclays elo ranking
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:55 am 
Crown Grade

Until/unless it’s used much more often, it’s not remotely close to being a valid ranking system. It’s a good concept, but like any other ‘ranking’ system, it’s meaningles if all aren’t using it.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

Because he owns iClays?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The size of the shoot is weighted

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:02 pm 
Crown Grade

I Clays ranks people who died 10 years ago and people who haven't shot a target in 10 years.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:08 pm 
Limited Edition

Take Dave to the course and shoot it out. No intuition needed. Loser buys the beer and dinner. Even better than an NSCA competition. You'll win more! Steve

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:10 am 
Field Grade

lt0026 wrote:
I Clays ranks people who died 10 years ago and people who haven't shot a target in 10 years.

This is true and should be changed too. They should have a rule such as, lose 5% of your score each year, if you don’t earn 1% of your score each year.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:44 pm 
Field Grade

LWSSC wrote:

In the Elo system, one makes or loses the same number of points for winning or losing against any individual regardless of the size of the shoot. At least that is my understanding

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:10 am 
Field Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
Until/unless it’s used much more often, it’s not remotely close to being a valid ranking system. It’s a good concept, but like any other ‘ranking’ system, it’s meaningles if all aren’t using it.

I believe his elo ranking system uses all NSCA shoots, not just those events that use his system

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:18 am 
Crown Grade

Well, maybe......but I looked at the rankings for several states, and they’re not even close in most every case.

Not sure what you’re looking for, but if it’s ‘where do I stand’ among fellow shooters in state, regional or national rankings, I sure wouldn’t use that.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

J2hapydna wrote:
LWSSC wrote:

In the Elo system, one makes or loses the same number of points for winning or losing against any individual regardless of the size of the shoot. At least that is my understanding

I haven't looked at it since the early days. Maybe something changed along the way. Sorry if I misspoke.