It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: E class??
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hello,
If this has already been covered I appolagize. My wife just started shooting last year. She is new to shotgun shooting so she started in E class. I just read the NSCA rules about new shooters starting in D class. So is E class going to be a thing of the past? Why didn't they automatically move up all the E class people to D? I know she can self delcare up but what is the NSCA thought process for this entry class D change? What is the purpose for E class anymore?
Thanks,

C Class

NSCA LIFE MEMBER

Post subject: E class??
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

They’re not eliminating E class. The reason for the change was an attempt to identify the ability of new shooters and get them to the right class sooner. In general, the current system (as of 1-1-2018) places all new shooters who don’t have prior classification with NSCA or other shooting organizations ie ATA or NSSA into D class. If during the first few events (I don’t remember the exact number of targets) they earn a punch they will be moved up to C class. After a certain number of registered targets shot they will be reviewed similar to a year end review. If at that review their CCR is greater than .700 ( bottom 30%) they will be moved down to E class. It’s just a way to get new shooters into a class that represents their true ability.

Post subject: Re: E class??
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:56 am 
Field Grade

High Rib 52 wrote:
They’re not eliminating E class. The reason for the change was an attempt to identify the ability of new shooters and get them to the right class sooner. In general, the current system (as of 1-1-2018) places all new shooters who don’t have prior classification with NSCA or other shooting organizations ie ATA or NSSA into D class. If during the first few events (I don’t remember the exact number of targets) they earn a punch they will be moved up to C class. After a certain number of registered targets shot they will be reviewed similar to a year end review. If at that review their CCR is greater than .700 ( bottom 30%) they will be moved down to E class. It’s just a way to get new shooters into a class that represents their true ability.

All new shooters will start in D class as stated above. Those shooters will receive a "review" after 300 targets and if they have earned 1 or more punches in that time period they will be moved to C class. It is each shooters responsibility to know that they have met the requirements to be moved up and declare accordingly prior to an event starting.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:10 pm 
Utility Grade

Who is the gatekeeper? Or is it computer generated?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

CCR is generated by the computer. I believe Glynne Moseley manages the process.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

CCR is generated by the computer. I believe Glynne Moseley manages the process.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:23 am 
Field Grade

Used to be start in D except if you had a class of B or below in like NSSA/ATA in prior shooting then E.
Well this has changed??
I started the end of last year - was a c class skeeter 25yrs ago.
This put me in E class - I obtained a punch in my second shoot - finished 1 of 4
on a really crappy day weather wise.
Now I just shoot for fun and don't have the time for lessons or hours of practice.
I'm usually trying to finish just not last.
If I were to get moved up to C class I'd probably quit registered and just go fun shooting.
My records still show me in E so that's what I shoot in.
You at least have to give a guy a chance.
So I would still be classed as what they saw/see me at NSCA correct??
OR is everyone going to have to change classes?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 am 
Diamond Grade

750k2 wrote:
Used to be start in D except if you had a class of B or below in like NSSA/ATA in prior shooting then E.
Well this has changed??
I started the end of last year - was a c class skeeter 25yrs ago.
This put me in E class - I obtained a punch in my second shoot - finished 1 of 4
on a really crappy day weather wise.
Now I just shoot for fun and don't have the time for lessons or hours of practice.
I'm usually trying to finish just not last.
If I were to get moved up to C class I'd probably quit registered and just go fun shooting.
My records still show me in E so that's what I shoot in.
You at least have to give a guy a chance.
So I would still be classed as what they saw/see me at NSCA correct??
OR is everyone going to have to change classes?

As I read it, rule applies only to new shooters (no previous registered targets). I believe your class would remain the same.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:20 am 
Diamond Grade

The rule change was intended to identify new shooters who are too good for E or even D. We have all seen the new shooter who is shooting AA or M scores and beats up E then D and so on. Under this rule they’ll be bumped to C sparing the properly classified E and D shooters the abuse. Shooters still have the ability to self declare all the way to AA and the bottom 30% (CCR greater than .700) are moved down at year end. The other rule change that’s not readily known is that any shooter who has a CCR less than .200 will be moved up a class at the end of the year. The exceptions are that this does not apply to shooters who have shot less than 500 targets in the year and it does not apply to AA shooters.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

High Rib 52 wrote:
The rule change was intended to identify new shooters who are too good for E or even D. We have all seen the new shooter who is shooting AA or M scores and beats up E then D and so on. Under this rule they’ll be bumped to C sparing the properly classified E and D shooters the abuse. Shooters still have the ability to self declare all the way to AA and the bottom 30% (CCR greater than .700) are moved down at year end. The other rule change that’s not readily known is that any shooter who has a CCR less than .200 will be moved up a class at the end of the year. The exceptions are that this does not apply to shooters who have shot less than 500 targets in the year and it does not apply to AA shooters.

I think this was one of the most important developments to come out of San Antonio in years and I applaud them for making these changes.

#MMUSOpen2019 #TheForkUSOpen2021 #marist89ForAC

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:15 pm 
Crown Grade

+1!