It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More younger shooters
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I feel like I’ve been seeing more younger shooter than in years past at the registered shoots. Maybe it’s just because I’m getting older.

I’m talking about shooters in their 20’s and 30’s.

Anybody else seeing more shooters in this age group?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

Post subject: Re: More younger shooters
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:42 pm 
Crown Grade

I am actually seeing more kids UNDER 20 brought by an adult; at least around here.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

I shot this morning with one of our young engineers at the company I work for. He had shot a couple of charity events that we sponsored using one of my guns and really enjoyed it. Went out and bought a new A 400 Excel and met me at Tenoroc this morning. I will say for no more than he has shot and a new gun I was really impressed. Was very receptive to my coaching ( I'm a better coach than I am a shooter most of the time ) and I enjoy shooting with these young people more than anything. I know at my age I'm not going to get a lot better but it's sure fun to work with these young people and watch them progress to the point they are out shooting the old man on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:45 pm 
Crown Grade

Fresh blood is always a good thing. There are more than enough old geezers shooting to go around already :)

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:58 pm 
Field Grade

38 and literally just started a couple months ago... I'm not sure that counts lol!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You’re younger than me! So it counts.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

Doug I agree it is great to see ...

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:53 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

"Fresh blood is always a good thing" brad, I always thought you might be a vampire. I guess is because they way you are always sucking up. :lol: {hs# Just kidding.

Mike McAlpine

I bet you don't eat much Italian food!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:19 pm 
Crown Grade

I’m noticing more shooters under 21-25, lots of teens. Love it, wish they’d all bring a dozen friends.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:24 pm 
Utility Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
I’m noticing more shooters under 21-25, lots of teens. Love it, wish they’d all bring a dozen friends.

You'd be surprised just how difficult that is. I'm 24 and have a difficult time trying to get anyone my age to give clays (of any format) a shot. Most people my age, assuming they are gun people, are all about handguns and AR-15's. Don't get me wrong, I like them too, but I prefer shotgun sports and that just doesn't appeal to people around me. I rarely see new faces in my age group at local shoots.

12g Browning Citori Crossover Target 32"
.410 Browning Citori 425 American Sporter
12g Remington SPR310

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Glad you enjoy it. I was lucky enough to introduced to trap and skeet at 10, but not many of my friends were too interested.

Keep trying though, I try to get at least three people out that have never tried it each year. Sometimes it sticks:-)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:43 pm 
Limited Edition

Sporting Clays definitely captures my kids interest. Can’t get them to shoot more than a round or two of skeet. That said, I’ve seen a trend where kids can’t afford to shoot regularly after they leave the nest. I couldn’t have afforded to do it at today’s prices in my early to mid 20s. Even after with a young family.

NSCA#633193

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:22 am 
Field Grade

a few weeks ago we had a 400 bird event down here in SE Wisconsin, I swear every single trap shooter from the local high school teams were out banging away. It was great to see, and I know that alot of younger kids are shooting trap for their high schools, but it was great seeing them on the courses, a few of them even said that they liked sporting clays more. Which led me to start thinking, why don't more high schools offer sporting clays teams and trap, offer both.

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Member
Regarde l'oiseau

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:58 am 
Crown Grade

georgeh41 wrote:
a few weeks ago we had a 400 bird event down here in SE Wisconsin, I swear every single trap shooter from the local high school teams were out banging away. It was great to see, and I know that alot of younger kids are shooting trap for their high schools, but it was great seeing them on the courses, a few of them even said that they liked sporting clays more. Which led me to start thinking, why don't more high schools offer sporting clays teams and trap, offer both.

In Nebraska, trap is king. Approximately 2,500 kids just shot at our state jr. and sr. high shoot.

we are just starting a high school skeet and sporting events.

Our trap team has about 85 kids, and so far I have about 12 signed up to shoot skeet and sporting.

I have heard from other coaches they don't want their kids to shoot anything but trap because it will mess them up for trap shooting. Most of these coaches haven't shot skeet or sporting, so not sure what they base their information on.

it will be interesting to see what kind of turnout we get.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:24 am 
Field Grade

Most shooter are trying to pass the tradition, teach their kids about safety, hunting and most of all gun rights. This as a result....more young shooters.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:27 pm 
Field Grade

I've noticed "trap coaches" shooting sporting clays with the students/kids. There seems to be alot of them on the local high school teams. Is that common?

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Member
Regarde l'oiseau

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’m talking about young people old enough to pay their own way. I hope that it is a barometer of a good economy.

I’m certainly glad to see kids learning to shoot but the number of 20 to 30 year olds has always been a small population at the gun club.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:25 am 
Presentation Grade

The economy is indeed getting better for younger people. Since spring 2016 I've gotten several raises and promotions. From 2010 (when I graduated college) to spring 2016 it was horrible. Here's to hoping it will get even better.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:41 am 
Crown Grade

dcblvsh2 wrote:
I’m talking about young people old enough to pay their own way. I hope that it is a barometer of a good economy.

I’m certainly glad to see kids learning to shoot but the number of 20 to 30 year olds has always been a small population at the gun club.

at least locally, not a huge explosion of shooters in that age range.

There is a "kid", 24 year old, helping out with our trap team, and getting into shooting skeet and sporting too. Just found out a baby on the way. His shooting days are over for awhile.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.