It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gun mount vs. Gun fit?
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Somebody on another forum was asking what's the difference between gun mount, and gun fit.

I told them for $245 an hour they could take a lesson, but thought I'd ask here first.

To me, gun mount = does the gun beat you up? If not, your mount is pretty close.

Gun fit = are you breaking targets with it.

What do you amateurs think?

P.s. My dentist charges $245 an hour, and yes he can break a 50 yard teal.

Post subject: Re: Gun mount vs. Gun fit?
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:28 pm 
Field Grade

No wonder you've never made it beyond shortcutting your way into B class.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

smh

#MMUSOpen2019 #TheForkUSOpen2021 #marist89ForAC

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

For those who are interested please click on my web. site at www.peteblakeley.com
Halfway down the home page there is some yellow text, click on the gun fit article. Just a suggestion. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:51 pm 
Crown Grade

marist89 wrote:
smh

lmnop, qrstuvwxy, and z?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You need a good gun mount before gun fit even matters. If your mount is good, but your gun doesn't fit, then your pattern will not be centered on the target when you pull the trigger -- resulting in some percentage of misses even though you did everything "correctly." If your gun fits, even with a sloppy mount, it's probably still going to be close enough to kill most targets because the percentage of pattern off center is not generally very large. If your gun fits and you have a good mount, the only excuse for missing is you inserted the muzzle in the wrong place -- of course there are a plethora of reasons one does that. And for $100 an hour I can help you fix most of them :D

The simple answer is, "K80, 32" flat-rib bbls, S&S custom stock, 55/45, Bornaghi 1oz 1250 7-½'s, M/M, Castelani, Lonesome Charlie, K-lube, qMaxx blue, Bore-snake, green Brake-cleen, and a very cold and dry Stoli martini."

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:47 pm 
Crown Grade

Will you take a post dated third party check drawn on the Bank of Guam?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:49 pm 
Crown Grade

boknowsbo wrote:
No wonder you've never made it beyond shortcutting your way into B class.

So now we have to fix B Class too?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ysr_racer wrote:
Will you take a post dated third party check drawn on the Bank of Guam?

From you? Sure, but you're buying lunch too then! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The simple answer is, "K80, 32" flat-rib bbls, S&S custom stock, 55/45, Bornaghi 1oz 1250 7-½'s, M/M, Castelani, Lonesome Charlie, K-lube, qMaxx blue, Bore-snake, green Brake-cleen, and a very cold and dry Stoli martini."

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:30 am 
Crown Grade

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

How do you perfect a good gun mount when you gun doesn't fit. You don't.

How do you fit a gun if you don't have a good mount first? You don't.

I don't take checks.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:43 am 
Diamond Grade

This is such a chicken or egg discussion. Watching someone trying to work on their gun mount with a poorly fitting gun is painful. The latest trend is in the built for ladies models. As a puller in a couple of ladies events this year, I have seen the misfit of some of these guns as obvious, but the gun dealer told them they were perfect. I wonder why? We have women that range from 5'2" to 6'1" shooting the same gun. I learned long ago not to discuss their weight. One gun can't possibly fit them all and they struggle to make this perfect gun work for them. The same holds true for men.

Most good gun fitters will try to establish the fit for a good mount. It is then the shooters responsibility to perfect that mount. I have not reached that point yet, but I'm trying.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:55 am 
Diamond Grade

drawdc. Very true. I wrote an article for CTN mag "Fitting for the female form" that explains this. You wonder why the guns didn't fit? Because most dealers aren't gunfitters, they are salesmen.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Mismost wrote:
?

I think I disagree. If I've got good foot position, good hips, shoulders, hands, head upright, eyes level and open, and the gun is right up under my check bone, to me that's a good gun mount.

Now if I did all that and I'm looking at the top or side of the rib, to me that means the gun doesn't fit me.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

Gun fit is important even with beginning shooters. It’s just that much harder for them to connect if they are having to fight the gun into decent position. For someone with fitting experience, it’s not difficult to get a gun close for a beginner. They need their eye to be in line with the rib and not have the comb so low the receiver blocks their vision Or so high the rib looks like a ski slope. I keep A few guns on hand that are set up differently or that can be adjusted quickly. I’ll pick the one that best fits based on my observations and we go from there. If they are shooting their own, I’ll do what I can to get it close. Sometimes if a beginner is struggling with a certain gun, changing to a different gun can be like flipping on a switch. If a gun doesn’t fit, it’s a hindrance to improvement. No matter what skill level.
Gun mount is an acquired skill, a practiced move, much like a pitchers wind up. It is perfected through practice. It is quite difficult to perfect your mount with an ill fitting gun.
Sort of like running the 100 meter hurdles with two left shoes that are 2 sizes too small.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

ysr_racer wrote:
Mismost wrote:
?

I think I disagree. If I've got good foot position, good hips, shoulders, hands, head upright, eyes level and open, and the gun is right up under my check bone, to me that's a good gun mount.

Now if I did all that and I'm looking at the top or side of the rib, to me that means the gun doesn't fit me.

That all sort of goes back to do I adapt me to fit the gun or adapt the gun to fit me.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

pete blakeley wrote:
drawdc. Very true. I wrote an article for CTN mag "Fitting for the female form" that explains this. You wonder why the guns didn't fit? Because most dealers aren't gunfitters, they are salesmen.

My question was tongue in check. Hard to sell a gun when you are telling someone it doesn't fit properly. In one case they even "measured" her for lop and a declared a perfect fit.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ysr_racer wrote:

I agree with you Brad ^^^. I know, many SGW-ers will be :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: (but flamesuit donned!)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:08 pm 
Crown Grade

JacksBack wrote:
ysr_racer wrote:

I agree with you Brad ^^^. I know, many SGW-ers will be :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: (but flamesuit donned!)

SAY IT AIN'T SO!........ :mrgreen:

(but I agree as well)

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

pete blakeley wrote:
For those who are interested please click on my web. site at http://www.peteblakeley.com
Halfway down the home page there is some yellow text, click on the gun fit article. Just a suggestion. :D

Thank you, both for writing that and for posting a link to it here.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:16 pm 
Crown Grade

You can have a good gun mount with a gun that doesn't fit perfectly. You can have a perfectly fitting gun and a terrible gun mount.