ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fixed choke gives better patterns?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Sorry, I didn't notice this was the sporting clays forum! I have a habit of clicking "SHOW NEW POSTS" & not paying attention to what forum they are from. I'll try to do better in the future!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:18 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

If you have a fixation with chokes and choke boring you may be interested to read this :-
www,boxall&edmiston /gun anatomy/ history of chokes
Also Nigel Teague of Teague chokes was producing long extended chokes from 1981 commercially and before then for individual customers , various profiles before settling on a gradual taper from nominal bore size down to desired choke constriction. The Gunmaker AyA used to use a very short choke with an abrupt taper to the constriction , during testing this was found to throw exceptional patterns and was adopted by Purdey . I find Gil Ash's claims hard to believe.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:38 pm 
Utility Grade

Lot of claims being thrown around about choke and patterns but few facts. If you want real facts talk with Allor,Eyester or Wilkinson.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Fixed choke guns in any construction have been shown to produce excellent patterns........and crappy patterns.

Choke tube guns in any constriction have been shown to produce excellent patterns........ and crappy ones.

YMMV

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:01 pm 
Limited Edition

I have two things to say about chokes and patterns:

1.Each gun and it's ammo is unto itself. You just have to test it.

2. Briley has the technical ability to make any kind of choke taper. They have tested chokes and ammo by the hundreds of thousands. I trust them to know what's what. If you do not like what one of their chokes is doing get with them: They will work with you.

FD6

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:57 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

SmokeJS wrote:
Saw a post on Facebook where it’s claimed as a fact that fixed chokes pattern better than the same constriction of choke tube. Given how different guns pattern with a great deal of variation is this claim just internet expertise or has there been serious testing by someone with some expertise like Tom Roster?
FYI I now only use thin wall mods in both barrels so I like fixed chokes but appreciate the option if needed. Plus it will make the gun more attractive to a larger set of potential next owners.

When fixed choke shotguns were the standard, no fixed choke IC was nearly good enough to stop production and sales of MOD solid chokes. No Modified fixed choke was nearly good enough to stop production of sales of Full chokes. No was nearly good enough to halt production and sales of IC and MOD chokes.

As far as winning patterns, meaning patterns that win on their merits alone, you can look at the NWTF still target championships: ALL won by screw chokes that I know of.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:43 pm 
Field Grade

Reason being there are few 12 Gauge fixed choke guns with constrictions as small as .660...Which is more than common with screw in Turkey chokes, which are most often used in those competitions. Make a tuned fixed choke barrel with that constriction or more, and that most probably would change.

Tom Roosters thoughts on chokes....

https://shootingsportsman.com/lingering ... standings/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:26 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Battue0626 wrote:
Reason being there are few 12 Gauge fixed choke guns with constrictions as small as .660...

That is complete nonsense. Fixed chokes can be any constriction desired. If it made any difference, fixed turkey choke barrels would be widely available. They are not, though, as no fixed choke offers any pattern advantage.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:43 pm 
Crown Grade

‘Can be’ and ‘are’ would not be close to the same thing. Fact is, there ‘are’ relatively few fixed chokes running around that tight....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:22 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

There is zero evidence that a fixed choke produces better patterns no matter what anyone thinks "better" is.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:28 pm 
Crown Grade

There’s ‘zero’ difference anyone has said that.....you’re arguing with yourself. Again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:34 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Since Tue Nov 13, 2018, when this thread was first started, nothing has changed. Nor will anything happen by the time it hits the 3-year mark or the 4-year mark.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:14 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

One thing is for sure, a partly centred pattern will only give a poor break that bares no relevance to the choke constriction . Learn to shoot your gun and place the shot ON the target not near it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:03 am 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
When fixed choke shotguns were the standard, no fixed choke IC was nearly good enough to stop production and sales of MOD solid chokes. No Modified fixed choke was nearly good enough to stop production of sales of Full chokes. No was nearly good enough to halt production and sales of IC and MOD chokes.

And when screw ins became pretty much the standard NO screw in IC was nearly good enough
to stop production and sales of MOD screw in chokes, and NO Modified screw in choke was nearly good enough to stop production of sales of Full screw ins. etc, etc, etc, etc..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:29 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

dogchaser37 wrote:
Randy, that is the first time I have seen anyone mention better patterns. 'Better', where shotgun patterns are concerned is very elusive and more about selling choke tubes and barrel work, than anything tangible.

Glad you brought that out.

Right now, if better (more efficient) patterns were vitally important, no one would shoot anything but AA Diamond Grade shotshells. They don't, and they won't. The cheaper pattern wins, far more often than not.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:40 am 
Field Grade

Obnoxious content edited to this and warning sent.

Last edited by Curly N on Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edited to remove content by Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:48 am 
Crown Grade

Battue0626 wrote:

I thought Curly was the moderator.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:20 am 

drawdc wrote:
Battue0626 wrote:

I thought Curly was the moderator.

I am and I did that but did not annotate it properly to reduce confusion.
Sorry.