ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Yildiz ProStar series?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:13 pm 
Crown Grade

hoytshooter wrote:
After speaking with Briley at the SCTP nationals I ordered the light modified from them. It was 95 dollars and should be shipped in 6-8 weeks. Wish now I would of ordered sooner. I won’t have it in time for the State clays shoot but oh well. I will make do with what I have.

So they don't stock them, but they have the thread pattern to build them. That is the cost and timing of a custom, extended choke. The only difference is you didn't have to give them a choke to copy, or did you?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:42 pm 
Limited Edition

I remember when it was 5 for 125...

DL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

tresamigovizslas wrote:

DL

Some brands of chokes for some gun brands still are close to that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:02 pm 
Crown Grade

[quote="tresamigovizslas"]I remember when it was 5 for 125...

DL[/

Despite what has been said, this gun takes custom chokes. You can buy Beretta Mobil extended chokes off the shelf for $49.95 from Briley. It’s easy to understand why custom chokes cost more and take longer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

drawdc wrote:
tresamigovizslas wrote:

DL[/

Despite what has been said, this gun takes custom chokes. You can buy Beretta Mobil extended chokes off the shelf for $49.95 from Briley. It’s easy to understand why custom chokes cost more and take longer.

Sure, that makes sense. Over time if the gun catches on, things might be different. Who knows?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:45 am 
Tournament Grade

drawdc wrote:
hoytshooter wrote:
After speaking with Briley at the SCTP nationals I ordered the light modified from them. It was 95 dollars and should be shipped in 6-8 weeks. Wish now I would of ordered sooner. I won’t have it in time for the State clays shoot but oh well. I will make do with what I have.

So they don't stock them, but they have the thread pattern to build them. That is the cost and timing of a custom, extended choke. The only difference is you didn't have to give them a choke to copy, or did you?

No I did not have to leave a choke with them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:29 am 
Limited Edition

drawdc wrote:
tresamigovizslas wrote:

DL[/

It will discourage people from wasting money on chokes. A good thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:56 am 
Crown Grade

DKW1 wrote:
drawdc wrote:
tresamigovizslas wrote:

DL[/

It will discourage people from wasting money on chokes. A good thing.

Probably not a good thing if you have oddball Turkish chokes. They may be okay, but I've never patterned them. Have you?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Drawdc do you ever say anything positive to add? Why does it matter if they are oddball Turkish chokes? Plus the Prostar has a five year warranty.

Post subject: Yildiz ProStar series?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:39 pm 
Crown Grade

hoytshooter wrote:
Drawdc do you ever say anything positive to add? Why does it matter if they are oddball Turkish chokes? Plus the Prostar has a five year warranty.

I’m sure your gun is pretty.

The warranty has no effect on chokes that are poorly made. If you are happy with them, why are you buying $95 custom chokes? I told you they were not stock chokes and you told me I was wrong.

I wish you the best with the gun. I’m sorry I’m not impressed with it operating after so little use. I know a lot about Yildiz guns. I would never take that chance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:12 pm 
Crown Grade

My factory tubes are spot on for construction. They are well-finished with barely any buildup shooting 1oz 1200 fps Aguilas. Skirt diameter is within a few thousandths of bore diameter. Performance has been all one could ask for. Can’t say that I’ve ever had any better choke tubes, although “better choke tubes” is a pretty vague phrase. I would say they are the cleanest shooting tubes I’ve ever had, but that isn’t a separate function from the shells. This combo, however is really, really clean shooting.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Forgot: No, I didn’t pattern them. I would rather slam my own hand in a car door than go crazy shooting patterns and counting holes. My exception is if I can sense a difference in POI between the barrels. I haven’t had the slightest hint that is going on. I’m not going to pattern it and see there 2 inches of difference in POI and have that rattling around in my head for the rest of my life. The IC was consistently breaking targets in the 50 yard neighboorhood and some of those were pretty edgy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Dave Holmes wrote:
Forgot: No, I didn’t pattern them. I would rather slam my own hand in a car door than go crazy shooting patterns and counting holes. My exception is if I can sense a difference in POI between the barrels. I haven’t had the slightest hint that is going on. I’m not going to pattern it and see there 2 inches of difference in POI and have that rattling around in my head for the rest of my life. The IC was consistently breaking targets in the 50 yard neighboorhood and some of those were pretty edgy.

Thanks Dave, good report and believe most of us were looking for someone that has clay target experience to really shoot one, over and over. True, we don't know if they will hold up, but so far so good I suppose. At any rate, they sure are purty, and I guess that's a starting point for some. Life's too short to shoot an ugly shooter.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

can't argue with positive comments on the engraving. they have done a stellar job on the this aspect. i don't care for the version with birds but the full scroll version presents really nicely for the price point.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:50 pm 
Crown Grade

Bird hunter,
I wasn’t a bird scene guy either, but I warmed up to it considerably when I got my hands on one. I have a Zoli Ambassador with a few years in it. I would say the two are really close in attractiveness. The Z action is considerably smaller, so the game scene doesn’t command much attention. The added size of the ProStar receiver makes the birds catch the eye. I didn’t care for the background behind the birds, but, in hand, even it looks ok. Not great, but ok. I was just really glad to see the birds really looking like birds!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:58 am 
Diamond Grade

i have a zoli pernice with full coverage engraving and it is very impressive. agree these guns compare decently (though not better imo) given the price difference.

have found the smaller the receiver the better engraving looks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:18 am 
Diamond Grade

Dave Holmes wrote:
Bird hunter,
I have a Zoli Ambassador with a few years in it. The added size of the ProStar receiver makes the birds catch the eye.

How would you compare the balance, handling, and moment of inertia characteristics between the two?

How about both compared to Perazzi Sporter versions if you happen to have Perazzi experience?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:09 pm 
Crown Grade

I hit the jackpot when I put the weight in the butt of the ProStar. It was just perfect for me. My Ambassador has slightly lighter barrels and the wood is incredibly dense, so the weight distribution is slightly different. The grip on the ProStar feels better in my hand. The difference isn’t huge. I suspect I could tinker with the Ambassador a bit and get them to be almost exactly the same, but the grip geometry would tip the scales toward the ProStar. I had altered the Ambassador stock to get a better fit than out of the box. It has the Zoli “G” stock.

I have an Evo and did a total makeover over on that stock, reducing the palm swell and circumference of the grip, trimming the bottom right side of the grip so it tilts my hand away from the stock instead of cramming it into the stock. I have small hands and inadvertently let my trigger finger touch the stock at the second joint on occasion, which totally screws up the trigger pull. I also cut the top of the grip down to allow my hand to drop into the grip more. I had also noticed that the vast majority of good mal shooters have a hand that really fills the grip of the stock. Some overwhelm the grip. That seems to add quite a bit of the gun. I decided I would go for a grip that let me have that kind of control with my smaller hand, or ruin the stock trying. (I have a small collection of ruined stocks.) I was shooting both guns two days ago. I found I could switch guns quite easily. The balance point of the Evo was a little forward of the BP of the ProStar, but still the two were quite similar. Overall weight was a few ounces heavier on the ProStar. If I could only have one gun, I would have to scratch my head a bit more before deciding. The cut down stock would probably have to go on the Ambassador for a trial run, to, as the Ambassador barrels weigh about the same as the ProStar barrels while being a couple ounces lighter than the Evo barrels.

And that leads back, at least indirectly, to my point on the ProStars. They are competitive with other target guns on the market in quality in every aspect I can see at this point, except wood finish and well worth consideration, especially given the price. I paid considerably less for my ProStar new than either of the Zolis used. There are differences that could tip the scales in any direction based on personal preference and I wouldn’t argue about anyone’s choice.

I haven’t had enough one on one with P guns lately to offer a sound opinion. What I would say is that, of the P guns I have handled, the ProStar feels the best. That is entirely subjective, but if they were all laying on a table and I picked the one I liked best, it would be the ProStar if they were free. If they had the price tags on them and I was buying one, my choice would easily be the ProStar. If I knew exactly what I wanted in every aspect of a gun and couldn’t get there off the shelf, the the P gun gets the nod, but I would hold me breath til I had the gun in hand because, based on the experiences of friends, Perazzi isn’t above fudging specs a bit.

I did shorten the LOP on my ProStar, trim the left side of the stock and recontour the back of the adjustable comb just a bit to accommodate the 3/8’s offset I need, but I really like the feel of it out of the box and knew I could get where I needed to go.

“Better than” is pretty tough to prove. “As good as” is a more reasonable comparison. The ProStars seem to meet the “as good as” standard, well worth a look and well worth the price!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:45 pm 
Limited Edition

drawdc wrote:
hoytshooter wrote:

I’m sure your gun is pretty.

The warranty has no effect on chokes that are poorly made. If you are happy with them, why are you buying $95 custom chokes? I told you they were not stock chokes and you told me I was wrong.

I wish you the best with the gun. I’m sorry I’m not impressed with it operating after so little use. I know a lot about Yildiz guns. I would never take that chance.

Well apparently as much as you profess to know you make assumptions mainly negative and overlook the obvious.

He never said that he was not happy with the quality of chokes, but that he wanted a LM.

hoytshooter wrote:
Vikram so far build quality is excellent. I honestly have not found any issues what so ever. Handling is coming around I went from a high rib to this which is flat. I do feel this trigger is one of the nicest triggers I have used on a shotgun. It breaks clean at four pounds. Only thing I am trying to learn is allowing the trigger to come all the way out to reset. The wood is amazing. I think that it could use a few more coats or I may wax it. Only other complaint I have is the chokes did not have a light mod. But I will order one soon enough.

I understand his view, for SC in the 12 pretty much all I use is the LM at .015. 20 ga. I move up to mod which is still .015 at least according to Briley.

For my 12 ga. Dickinson Plantation Sporter SxS sold by Pacific Sporting Arms they did not offer a LM or SK so I had Briley make me custom chokes for both. Not a fan of the teauge style chokes and also wanted the notches. Flush tubes are $75 each and no one should ever put extended chokes in a SxS. Personal opinion but not just mine you can't use them at the Duluth Double Gun Shoot. Thank Goodness no one should have to look at that ugliness on a SxS. For the 20 ga. I purchased from PSA Briley will put notches in both the SK and Mod chokes for $10 each. That works for me the chokes are fine.

Be hard pressed to find anyone to say something bad about the Turkish Dickinson SxS guns sold by PSA. Besides the 12 and 20 I have a 32" 16 that should be coming in Nov. or Dec. if all goes well. John did say that if I wanted a 32" O/U he could order me a Perazzi of course. But am pleased with the Dickinson guns so far they still lock up tighter than a bank vault and the 12 has close to 10K through it now.

They remind me of the Spanish guns in the 60's and 70's but on an accelerated scale. Made to different price points and quality increasing quickly.

When my youngest son decided to be a trap shooter (broke my heart) ~15 years ago he took one of my B. Rizzini guns. Put more than 100K rounds though it without a hiccup. And at the age of 15 was Mn. State class runner up. We all tried to tell him it wasn't a "real" trap gun. He proved us wrong in short order.

Of course my Joel Etchen Combo had more than 100K through it before I let it go. But have another B. Rizzini and I. Rizzini with at least 40K through each with no problems.

When ever there is a stoppage at a shoot be it skeet, 5 stand, trap or SC and it is a double gun almost always it is a Browning with a lower bbl. firing pin issue. Of course there are many that will say theirs has never given them an issue. Yet.

Kind of like the M21 it is not even close to the reliable SxS that many make it out to be.

Lot of bias out there on reliability based on gun manufacture. Some is just plain lore. And some is not based on facts.

No desire for another O\U but watching these ProStar's closely, I think they may be a move up in quality for the early Turkish guns and many made up to this point. Time and round count will tell.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:47 pm 
Crown Grade

Exactly right on your last sentence......time always tells the story.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next