ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Yildiz ProStar series?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:44 am 
Crown Grade

Europe is a different market than the US. The guns marketed in the two areas in many cases don't share the same characteristics or pricing. The two are very different markets.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:37 am 
Tournament Grade

vikram wrote:
lt0026 wrote:
When you can't compete it usually means a few things. Product, dealership network, service, value, marketing issues and terrible resale. Those are usually lacking. FYI, Digweed won lots with a 682. :)

All the issues you raise, except product, are correct. Kemen faltered in the US not because it was a cheap clone. It costs as much as a Perazzi and more in some cases. :D {hs#

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/sh ... gun-review

Quote:
He managed to lure George Digweed away from his favourite Berettas, and George thanked him with a huge string of competition successes both at home and abroad.

The year 1997 could be called the year of the Kemen. In that year George used one to win the World and European FITASC titles, and the World Compak championship with a record 200-straight.

Richard Faulds, then still a junior, was also in on the Kemen act. He took the World and European FITASC Junior titles, and added the European Double Trap title for good measure.

Digweed is supposed to have said, "There isn`t a better competition gun than a 682, there are only more expensive guns."

Digweed isn’t just a great shot, but also a very smart man. That happens in every, single product area.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

vikram wrote:
lt0026 wrote:
Couldn't compete in the US market. Ditto Kemen.

Market failure does not make them cheap guns. They are actually very good guns. Please do look up Kemen's record. George Digweed is perhaps the greatest sporting clays shooter ever and he used a Kemen to win several championships. It is said that, when he switched to Perazzi, he had his Perazzi built to his Kemen specs.

This is true.
When I visited the Perazzi factory in 2002 I was greeted by the director and given a tour and then fitted for a new MX2000.
After the fitting I was then informed that I could order my gun with the same specifications that they had changed to at Mr. Digweed's request so that his new MX2000 would be just about the same as his Kemen KM-4 was when he shot for Armas Kemen.

CT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:17 pm 
Crown Grade

searun wrote:
vikram wrote:
lt0026 wrote:
Couldn't compete in the US market. Ditto Kemen.

Market failure does not make them cheap guns. They are actually very good guns. Please do look up Kemen's record. George Digweed is perhaps the greatest sporting clays shooter ever and he used a Kemen to win several championships. It is said that, when he switched to Perazzi, he had his Perazzi built to his Kemen specs.

This is true.
When I visited the Perazzi factory in 2002 I was greeted by the director and given a tour and then fitted for a new MX2000.
After the fitting I was then informed that I could order my gun with the same specifications that they had changed to at Mr. Digweed's request so that his new MX2000 would be just about the same as his Kemen KM-4 was when he shot for Armas Kemen.

CT

I had my F3 set up to the same specs as my 625 Browning. My fit didn't change because I bought a new gun. Digwood matching the gun he had been shooting says nothing about the quality of either gun.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

Not quite sure why some posters continue posting their opposition to a gun they've never seen, touched nor fired. Adds nothing of value and yet continue to post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Scardog7 wrote:
Not quite sure why some posters continue posting their opposition to a gun they've never seen, touched nor fired. Adds nothing of value and yet continue to post.

So only people that own one should give their opinions? I own a Yildiz and have seen a Prostar. When do we reach your level so we can express our thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

drawdc wrote:
Scardog7 wrote:

So only people that own one should give their opinions? I own a Yildiz and have seen a Prostar. When do we reach your level so we can express our thoughts?

Of course you can share your opinion - you don't trust the quality of any Turkish guns and you won't spend $4,000 on that chance. Fair enough. That's a position you choose to take. It's that you just keep sharing it over and over and you have nothing new to add on a gun you've never seen, handled nor fired. It's tiresome.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

Yildiz should send a 2x prostars , 2x Salvinellis L1s and....2x mx12s down to Argentina to H&H outfitters and let them put em to the test. It shouldn’t take very long to see how all three boss action guns hold up.

DL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

Looked at one in Marengo. Not too impressed. On the rack it looked like a MX8 copy, but it wasn't quite fit and finished as well as I would have liked. Mechanically, it seemed sound, but I wasn't really tempted. They certainly didn't get it to feel like the MX8.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Scardog7 wrote:
drawdc wrote:
Scardog7 wrote:

Of course you can share your opinion - you don't trust the quality of any Turkish guns and you won't spend $4,000 on that chance. Fair enough. That's a position you choose to take. It's that you just keep sharing it over and over and you have nothing new to add on a gun you've never seen, handled nor fired. It's tiresome.

My last post was about Digweed having his Perazzi set up to match his Kemen. That means nothing. Every top flight shooter that changes guns does that. Had nothing to to do with the Prostar. I find actually reading and comprehending what is said cuts down on finding things “tiresome “.

I told you I had seen the ProStar. Pretty wood. I know a very good gunsmith that went through a couple of them. He wasn’t impressed. Time will tell. If you own one, best of luck to you. I hope it works out for you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

pintailwizard wrote:
Looked at one in Marengo. Not too impressed. On the rack it looked like a MX8 copy, but it wasn't quite fit and finished as well as I would have liked. Mechanically, it seemed sound, but I wasn't really tempted. They certainly didn't get it to feel like the MX8.

If it looked like an MX8, you might've been looking at the wrong gun; the Prostar is an MX12 copy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Two more punches earned for the yildiz. After a horrible showing on the first two pegs with the beretta. My son offered to go get my yildiz and his tubes. What the hell after a 9 with the Beretta I was game for anything. 2nd parcour ran the first two pegs only dropped one bird. Third peg ran my singles then missed my pairs. My mind kicked my a$$ this past weekend. The Prostar ran flawlessly 28 gauge fitasc I was able to win my class. Overall I am super satisfied with this gun. Not all are able to shoot 20k rounds a year but damn it would be nice.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:50 am 
Utility Grade

Guys,

I have been shooting Perazzis in sporting clays for the last several years, my recent gun gun a HightechS with a 6mm ramp rib. I am exploring going back to a flat rib so a month ago I aquired a standard polished ProStar and can say the following:

1. I shoot it just as well as my Perazzis
2. The overall quality is on par with similar priced Berettas, Brownings and Zolis (I have owned them all)
3. The wood on my gun would cost an extra $2k+ on a Perazzi, not available on a Browning and tough to find on most Berettas (etchen/cole guns are offered with possible as nice of wood as this standard model)
4. The gun is in the sweet spot for weight for a sporting gun in my mind (8.3lbs) and is much lighter than a Perazzi with factory chokes and adjustable comb.
5. The gun is perfectly balanced and has a dynamic feel much like a Perazzi
6. The barrels can be fitted to a Perazzi reciever
7. A Perazzi wood set can be fitted but not the other way around as the tangs are about 1/4" longer than on a MX12/2000s
8. Caution: the drop at heel is 1 7/8" which is likely a bit too high for some shooters. Even though the drop at the front of the comb is 1 1/2" the high heel make the comb higher than one would expect for an adjustable comb gun. Mine is a used gun with some handling marks on the wood so i was not concerned about taking the stock to the disk sander too take the heel down to 2 1/8" which i need. Be careful with the sander as you can intersect the reliefs in the comb for the adjustment hardware. A better option might be to have the stock bent by a gunsmith if you need more drop and some people certainly will.
9. The gun comes with 5 and 5 flush and extended chokes. I would like to see Extreme or Muller start producing some chokes for this unique gun threading/diameter
10. In the past the main (subjective) criticism of quality turkish guns (and other mass produced guns) is that they have no "soul". I can honestly say that my ProStar has it's own feel and character which creates for me that feeling of "soul" which I do appreciate very much!

In summary: a great looking and very well made and handling clays gun that i expect will easily be reliable and loved long into the future available at a price that represents an outstanding value. Yes, a couple of flaws that can be easily overcome but highly reccommeded!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:38 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

This was a well written and detailed review Thanks you

Phone 813-907-7340
Check out our E-books on Amazon here
http://www.rogergascoigneshootingcoach.com/books.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

Great write up.

IMHO - Yildiz just needs to rebrand with a new name for this line of shotguns for the US market. And keep the pricing the same for US and U.K. markets.

Or OEM the gun to Browning and call it the V12. If they don’t, I’ll get to buy my daughter one in 1 year for a bargain !

DL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:55 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks!

I forgot to mention an important feature of the ProStar and that is the trigger. I believe one of key reasons one would spend big dollars on a target shotgun is to have an excellent trigger that breaks cleanly somewhere around 3.5 to 4 lbs with no creep or "crunchiness". The ProStar trigger is fantastic and just as described here. Mine breaks at just over 3.6 lbs in both barrels. In that the lock is a very close copy of the Perazzi MX12/2000s it is no surprise the trigger feel is very similar! You do not get that with your other new sub-$5,000 guns, at least not any i have seen or owned. No trip to the gunsmith needed!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

Withoutwings wrote:
Guys,

I have been shooting Perazzis in sporting clays for the last several years, my recent gun gun a HightechS with a 6mm ramp rib. I am exploring going back to a flat rib so a month ago I aquired a standard polished ProStar and can say the following:

2. The overall quality is on par with similar priced Berettas, Brownings and Zolis (I have owned them all)
3. The wood on my gun would cost an extra $2k+ on a Perazzi, not available on a Browning and tough to find on most Berettas (etchen/cole guns are offered with possible as nice of wood as this standard model)
4. The gun is in the sweet spot for weight for a sporting gun in my mind (8.3lbs) and is much lighter than a Perazzi with factory chokes and adjustable comb.
7. A Perazzi wood set can be fitted but not the other way around as the tangs are about 1/4" longer than on a MX12/2000s
8. Caution: the drop at heel is 1 7/8" which is likely a bit too high for some shooters. Even though the drop at the front of the comb is 1 1/2" the high heel make the comb higher than one would expect for an adjustable comb gun. Mine is a used gun with some handling marks on the wood so i was not concerned about taking the stock to the disk sander too take the heel down to 2 1/8" which i need. Be careful with the sander as you can intersect the reliefs in the comb for the adjustment hardware. A better option might be to have the stock bent by a gunsmith if you need more drop and some people certainly will.
9. The gun comes with 5 and 5 flush and extended chokes. I would like to see Extreme or Muller start producing some chokes for this unique gun threading/diameter
10. In the past the main (subjective) criticism of quality turkish guns (and other mass produced guns) is that they have no "soul". I can honestly say that my ProStar has it's own feel and character which creates for me that feeling of "soul" which I do appreciate very much!

In summary: a great looking and very well made and handling clays gun that i expect will easily be reliable and loved long into the future available at a price that represents an outstanding value. Yes, a couple of flaws that can be easily overcome but highly reccommeded!

good review, what's weird about the choke threading and diameter, everything I see online says Beretta Mobile choke, which if that's the case, then you are covered since Muller makes chokes already in Beretta Mobile, I don't know about Extreme as I never looked.

Unless I'm looking at the wrong Yildiz pro model from their website.

Barrel specs.
76 mm / 3 ''
4140 Drilled Steel
61 - 66 - 71 - 76 cm
5 pcs. Mobilchoke

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

gdub41 wrote:
Withoutwings wrote:
Guys,

good review, what's weird about the choke threading and diameter, everything I see online says Beretta Mobile choke, which if that's the case, then you are covered since Muller makes chokes already in Beretta Mobile, I don't know about Extreme as I never looked.

Unless I'm looking at the wrong Yildiz pro model from their website.

Barrel specs.
76 mm / 3 ''
4140 Drilled Steel
61 - 66 - 71 - 76 cm
5 pcs. Mobilchoke

Mobilchoke, as far as I know, has become a generic slang term for interchangeable, screw-in chokes no matter what gun they fit. It just means removable. Kind of like Kleenex just means tissues, no longer necessarily Kimberly Clark brand tissues. If it doesn’t say Beretta, it doesn’t necessarily mean Beretta. It is highly unlikely the Yildiz chokes are interchangeable with Beretta chokes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:29 pm 
Utility Grade

We tried some Beretta Mobil chokes and they definitely do not fit. As mentioned the choke OD is different/unique and the threading is a different (in pitch). Actually, I just stated comparing a standard Winchester Winchoke which appears to have the correct treading and diameter but is too short in length. I will explore this further when i get time. I understand that Briley may have the specs needed and can make custom chokes but do not currently produce a version for stock.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

Is it any surprise a company with ad copy written by non english speakers and who blatantly copied (or attempted to copy) another brand would carelessly and half assedly refer to their chokes using yet another company's terminology?

Seems there are two possibilities here-
1- intentionally copying of naming conventions
2- yildiz people are so clueless about shotguns they actually thought all removable chokes are called 'mobil'.

Neither of these instills a lot of confidence in the product.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next