ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Please Be Careful
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:53 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

This is a heartfelt plea for all of you to stay safe in the current pandemic Covid 19 .
I hear that some of your ranges and gunclubs are now re-opening for use after a far too brief or even a none existant close down .
This virus is a killer !
Stay at home , adhere to social distancing and stay safe .
You in the US are no-where near the the highest infection rate yet , it is killing people and multiplying daily . So stay indoors and stay safe .
You WILL NOT be back to normal by Easter .
Here in the UK it is predicted we will struggle to get back to normal by September .
PLEASE, PLEASE STAY SAFE . :) :)

Post subject: Re: Please Be Careful
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks Salopian,

A lot of people here don't think it is bad as it is.

They are wrong.

Be well.

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:19 am 
Limited Edition

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:
Thanks Salopian,

A lot of people here don't think it is bad as it is.

They are wrong.

Be well.

Agree 100%.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:36 am 
Crown Grade

Considering most clay target shooters are in the "at risk" age group, yeah stay home.

Actually I'm not a doctor, but most of the shooters I know are in the "super at risk" age group.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:17 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Sal,

You are 1000% right about ranges reopening. Most are taking a lot of precautions but I think there is still a danged going out to the club. My personal opinion is that we as an industry should close all of our ranges until this thing is completely over an I would bet it won't be over by Easter. My daughter is taking a month of non paid leave. She has an autoimmune disease and three kids at home. Like her, I would bet that it will be more like June or July when things get much better. It may be longer than that.

Mike McAlpine

Please stay safe Sal, and everyone else too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:54 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Nice to see that you guys heeded my cautionary advice !
Only 65,000 confirmed cases yesterday .
Carry on like you are and You will never be free of the virus.
What does it take for you to see common sense and rid your country of this awful disease?

I have now not shot for 18 weeks and maintained social distancing , I really miss my shooting ,but glad I am still here , unlike many friends .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:45 am 
Tournament Grade

Hi guys. New to the forum and just wanted to jump in on this. Tell you how I am shooting. Shooting alone first thing in the morning. Disinfecting the control boxes. Masking up when coming up on anyone else. It is really very safe, much more than any old grocery store. It also helps to have a bulk storage card for prepaid targets so you don’t have to visit the range office more than maybe once a month.

Good luck to you. Boy, I sure hope I’m right about this. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:37 am 
Diamond Grade

Carry on and the herd immunity will be achieved faster not make the virus never go away.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:24 am 
Crown Grade

To my knowledge, the US has never achieved "national" herd immunity to any disease without an effective vaccine to assist the process. Before MMR vaccination (or polio or diphtheria, or...) there were local and widespread outbreaks every year. Infection with and recovery from each of those diseases produces lasting immunity; it is as yet unclear whether COVID19 yields that same result.

We will achieve some sort of post-pandemic "normal." However, I do not expect it before effective vaccines are deployed, and I certainly wouldn't bet any serious money on ever achieving herd immunity without a vaccine intervention. So, hand washing and social distancing will reduce your risk of infection and subsequent transmission.

Or, you can go about your business with no precautions and hope that you are in the 80 or so per cent of the population that experiences mild or asymptomatic disease - with associated hazard to high-risk friends and family members. The personal injury attorneys are waiting like vultures.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:34 am 
Crown Grade

The entire Covid 19 problem has become a political football. We will never get any straight answers or data. You just don't know who to believe. And you can't keep people locked up forever and business open/closed to gain political advantage. That's why many people don't trust and follow the ever changing narrative from people like Fauci. I grew up during the 50's. I remember polio, mumps,measles, rubella and chicken pox. School never closed and all business was open. What's changed?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:53 am 
Crown Grade

lt0026 wrote:
The entire Covid 19 problem has become a political football. We will never get any straight answers or data. You just don't know who to believe. And you can't keep people locked up forever and business open/closed to gain political advantage. That's why many people don't trust and follow the ever changing narrative from people like Fauci. I grew up during the 50's. I remember polio, mumps,measles, rubella and chicken pox. School never closed and all business was open. What's changed?

Yes, and it happens frequently. Swine Flu in the late '70s, AIDS in the '80s-'90s, and bio-terror in the early 2000s - money and politicians, feces and flies. I am most grateful to be retired from public health practice and not required to participate officially in the current cluster.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:00 am 
Crown Grade

mwr01 wrote:
lt0026 wrote:

Yes, and it happens frequently. Swine Flu in the late '70s, AIDS in the '80s-'90s, and bio-terror in the early 2000s - money and politicians, feces and flies. I am most grateful to be retired from public health practice and not required to participate officially in the current cluster.

I remember having to stay home from school and bringing a doctors note to be allowed back in. School never closed because of illness. We didn't have draconian panic closures. And many got sick from what I mentioned and returned to school. They are alive today, now in the late 60's.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:21 am 
Tournament Grade

True about the old faithful diseases but not completely. I can explain how they differ from Covid19. The childhood diseases like mumps, measles, and chicken pox aren't deadly like Covid19 is. So it was okay to get them and then be immune for the rest of your life. People often spread them on purpose to siblings so that the whole family could be done with it at once. I know a number of people who were crippled by polio in the early '50s. It is a horrible disease, but is not spread easily by direct contact between people. It is actually spread most of the time by human waste getting into the water source. That is why it actually became more common when more people became dependent upon centralized city water supplies. Besides, we know so much more now about how the diseases are spead.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

salopian wrote:
Nice to see that you guys heeded my cautionary advice !
Only 65,000 confirmed cases yesterday .
Carry on like you are and You will never be free of the virus.
What does it take for you to see common sense and rid your country of this awful disease?

I have now not shot for 18 weeks and maintained social distancing , I really miss my shooting ,but glad I am still here , unlike many friends .

Salopian,
It would appear your self-righteous warnings and follow-up scoldings would be better-directed at home.

The most recent UK death rate is 5% (despite your beloved NHS)—below only Italy, Iran, and Spain, among countries with more than 5,000 cases.

By contrast, the US rate is 1.23%, above only Germany (0.42%), which has a far less diverse population.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-death-rates-by-country-based-on-case-fatality-ratio-2020-3

I am 73 and will be shooting tomorrow, as I did two days ago.

RMS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:14 am 
Crown Grade

moishepipick wrote:
True about the old faithful diseases but not completely. I can explain how they differ from Covid19. [color=#FF0000]The childhood diseases like mumps, measles, and chicken pox aren't deadly like Covid19 is.[/color] So it was okay to get them and then be immune for the rest of your life. People often spread them on purpose to siblings so that the whole family could be done with it at once. I know a number of people who were crippled by polio in the early '50s. It is a horrible disease, but is not spread easily by direct contact between people. It is actually spread most of the time by human waste getting into the water source. That is why it actually became more common when more people became dependent upon centralized city water supplies. Besides, we know so much more now about how the diseases are spead.

Not really. Pick any state that has a decent vital records system, and then look at infant and childhood mortality attributed to measles (the worst in a family of bad actors), mumps, chickenpox, and pertussis in the first half of the 20th Century. I think that you will find mortality in the primary at risk population (children aged <13 years) to be substantially higher than COVID19 mortality in the susceptible population (essentially everybody) and higher even than in the high-risk (aged >65) population. Admittedly, supportive medical practice is better now than it was pre-1950.

Historically, before vaccination became common, measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox, et. al. were considered childhood diseases not because adults were unaffected, but because virtually everyone was exposed, infected, recovered (or not), and immune before puberty. None of this is really relevant to the current situation, but it's interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:03 pm 
Field Grade

Some should use common sense and not play Doctor, instead of trying to scare others. Here are some real facts. In fact, 17 million facts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... s.amp.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:39 pm 
Crown Grade

NY Times as a source. Yup that takes the politics out of it. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:39 pm 
Crown Grade

I have a weird approach to this........I follow the advice of a doctor. Specifically my doctor.

Weird, I know, but there you have it. What a concept.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:52 pm 
Field Grade

Yes that would be weird.....I shot sporting with a couple yesterday.....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Battue0626 wrote:
Yes that would be weird.....I shot sporting with a couple yesterday.....

Shot with mine Wed:-)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next