ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anthony Matarese: Sporting Clays FOUNDATION + ADVANCED
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:25 pm 
Crown Grade

I finally got these two videos, and got through the FOUNDATION one last night.

Wow, what great stuff. The camera work and graphics are nothing short of fantastic. Far better than using real flying clay targets that you can’t see very well, if at all.

Anthony's program here is very well explained and laid out, and done in a very organized, progressive learning format. Which after 35 years of coaching youth sports, I found that to be the best way to get your points across, and put into better results.

His eye dominance material mirrors what I got from Chuck Dryke. Every certified sporting clays instructor should be required to watch that part alone, and then take and pass a test on it. If you are confused with your own eye dominance issues, the dedicated chapter in the first video will save you a lot of time and money, and let you better understand what's actually going on. The graphics here are done perfectly.

I went back after getting through the FOUNDATION one the first time, and watched a number of the chapters over again. A couple twice. One three times. I will watch the whole enchilada again tonight. Still so much to absorb yet.

Anyone who doesn’t have and studied this tape (I’m sure ditto this for the ADVANCED version as well) is competing on gameday with a handicap compared to those who have.

When watching these tapes, have your pause button ready. Anthony moves a long at a pretty good clip and there are times when you need to stop and slowly digest what he just said. I had to burp a couple of times......

Keep in mind, there’s so much fantastic information here, and it will take a number of viewing times to absorb it. I've thought of it as like reading and studying a biology or anatomy book, compared to fast reading through a history book.

In my mind's eye, these are the best shooting tapes of any kind ever made. They are going to go down as the bench mark classic of all time.

At first, the price kind of scared me away. But after viewing the material in the first one, and thinking about the real cost of lessons and learning to shoot sporting clays well, they are a huge bargain. Well, well, well worth the money.

Interesting to hear what others who have viewed them think.

Post subject: Re: Anthony Matarese: Sporting Clays FOUNDATION + ADVANCED
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We got in 4 of the pairs last week to add to our proshop. I snagged one for me as everyone will ask me why I sell $230 bluray and wanted to have an answer.
I have been shooting sporting clays since 1991. I help get beginners going frequently, even stand behind some good ones every now and then when they need a kick in the rear. Been a 4h coach and SCTP coach for a while. I have had lessons from just about everyone including Anthony. I have watched the beginner video no less than 6 times so far and still getting a better perspective. I watched the advanced once but it will take a few more. I can attest there are reasons there are chapters on his movies. Watch a chapter and let it digest. Shoot a round, then come back for next. I wasnt expecting a lot of new information but can attest it is a lot to consume even if youve been around and well worth the money.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:54 pm 
Crown Grade

From this and the other post on SGW about these DVDs, I convinced myself that I had to have them and that they will help my shooting.

I have placed an order and will report back as soon as I get through them.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I wish he had a download instead of just discs. We can't play them on our computers nor do have any disc players anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:16 pm 
Limited Edition

xsshooter wrote:
From this and the other post on SGW about these DVDs, I convinced myself that I had to have them and that they will help my shooting.

I have placed an order and will report back as soon as I get through them.

Jim,

I'm sure you will not be disappointed - quite the contrary. You gotten a couple of great accolades goin' on here and I would echo what they said.

B

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:22 pm 
Crown Grade

JeffColorado wrote:
I wish he had a download instead of just discs. We can't play them on our computers nor do have any disc players anymore.

Amazon's got plenty of Blu-Ray disc players ready to ship. When I went to use our old one after I got the tapes in the mail, my wife told me "Oh, it's broken, and I forget to replace it". So I had to wait a week to get the new Blu-Ray to view them, after my daughter showed me how to install and work it.

Give them your order, buddy. These tapes are that good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mule Driver wrote:
JeffColorado wrote:

Amazon's got plenty of Blu-Ray disc players ready to ship. When I went to use our old one after I got the tapes in the mail, my wife told me "Oh, it's broken, and I forget to replace it". So I had to wait a week to get the new Blu-Ray to view them, after my daughter showed me how to install and work it.

I've had so many of the BluRay / DVD things and thrown them away due to "outdated, no software updates available" I swore I'd never have another one, and now having smart TV's I really don't want any added paraphernalia sitting on the shelf that'll only be used a few times in my life. Plus I wanted this for my wife, she'll sit at her computer and watch it with no problem, but a DVD I've got to be with her to run the machine and that most likely won't happen. Load it up on her MacBook and she'll watch it all day.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mule Driver,
I got the two disk set yesterday. My plan was to go cover to cover and then go back as required. I watched the Foundation issue this morning. It got me fired up so I went to my local gun club, opened up the trap and then shot 3 boxes of shells. I've had several lessons with Anthony over the years so I kind of knew what was coming. Absolutely, the eye dominance chapter was great and the chapter on "Merge" really hit home for me. I came back home and just finished the Advanced disk. Truly outstanding. Anthony said in the Foundation that you would want to watch some of the chapters several times and it would be smart to take notes. These disks are going to get a lot of lookin at on rainy days. I would give these 4+ stars. As far as spending $230.00....Hell I spill that much.
Shoot straight and tell the truth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

LWSSC wrote:
We got in 4 of the pairs last week to add to our proshop. I snagged one for me as everyone will ask me why I sell $230 bluray and wanted to have an answer.
I have been shooting sporting clays since 1991. I help get beginners going frequently, even stand behind some good ones every now and then when they need a kick in the rear. Been a 4h coach and SCTP coach for a while. I have had lessons from just about everyone including Anthony. I have watched the beginner video no less than 6 times so far and still getting a better perspective. I watched the advanced once but it will take a few more. I can attest there are reasons there are chapters on his movies. Watch a chapter and let it digest. Shoot a round, then come back for next. I wasnt expecting a lot of new information but can attest it is a lot to consume even if youve been around and well worth the money.

If you've watched the foundation video 6 times, you'll want to start off the advanced video with some snacks (it is a long video, after all) and a notepad. You can watch this a whole lot more than the first one and still pick information out that you missed the previous times.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:26 am 
Crown Grade

JeffColorado wrote:
Mule Driver wrote:
JeffColorado wrote:

I've had so many of the BluRay / DVD things and thrown them away due to "outdated, no software updates available" I swore I'd never have another one, and now having smart TV's I really don't want any added paraphernalia sitting on the shelf that'll only be used a few times in my life. Plus I wanted this for my wife, she'll sit at her computer and watch it with no problem, but a DVD I've got to be with her to run the machine and that most likely won't happen. Load it up on her MacBook and she'll watch it all day.

plan on running the dvd through a laptop to my TV

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:38 am 
Crown Grade

Xsshooter,

These discs are BluRay, not DVDs.

It’s my understanding that you can play a DVD on a BluRay machine, but you can not play a BluRay on a DVD machine.

Just going on what my daughter told me, and she deals with this stuff at her job.

Check with one of your kids or grandkids. They will know if what you have will work or not.

Last edited by Mule Driver on Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:50 am 
Presentation Grade

The videos are available in both DVD and Blu-Ray format.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jim:
unfortunately MacBook Pros don't have any DVD players or any other drives either.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am glad he has learned about eye dominance , b/c when he came here to give lessons , he didn't know a thing about eye issues.

If you can't see it , you can't shoot it.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

JeffColorado wrote:

Jeff,

If you can come up with an inexpensive way to prevent people from copying the download and giving it to their friends (without paying Anthony), I'm sure you can have your wish fulfilled. :)

"I wish I were dumber so I could be more certain about my opinions. It looks fun."Scott Adams
"Those who shoot to win often lose; those who shoot for fun always win." Geoffe Gaebe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:04 am 
Crown Grade

birdshooter1 wrote:
The videos are available in both DVD and Blu-Ray format.

Cool, my mistake. I thot they were just BluRay. Mine came as BluRay and I didn’t realize there was a choice.

Good deal, thanks for setting this straight.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

JeffColorado wrote:
Jim:
unfortunately MacBook Pros don't have any DVD players or any other drives either.

Is there possibly be an external BR player that will connect via a USB cable? Just a thought

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:19 am 
Crown Grade

JeffColorado wrote:
Jim:

Even my wife's new windows laptop doesn't have a DVD player, fortunately we have some old ones laying around that I can use. Tested it last night with another DVD and should work once I get my new ones.

I toyed with the idea of getting the Blu-ray for better quality, but would have to buy a player and couldn't justify that on top of getting the videos. We stream all other entertainment and don't see us buying other blu-rays.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

There are BR players that plug into laptops, not sure what mac versions are out there but I know they exist for non-mac laptops.

Also, I emailed about this with Anthony, the digital versions will be out in 12 to 18 months.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:19 pm 
Field Grade

I realize the topic of this thread is Anthony's two new DVDs. However, I want to share my experience with Anthony related to eye issues.

I started shooting seriously about 12 years ago, and struggled a great deal in the beginning. During a lesson with a highly regarded shooting coach, he recommended that I wear a dot, which I did for a few years.

I then took a lesson with Anthony. He watched me shoot a few stands, then asked why I was wearing the dot. He said he didn't think I needed it, and advised me to shoot 1,000 targets without it. I have not worn one since. I am not sure how Anthony knew I didn't need the dot, but my shooting has improved based on his advice.