*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:
What does the DVD's cost?

Prices are on his web site

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

Post subject: Re: Anthony Matarese: Sporting Clays FOUNDATION + ADVANCED
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for the info.

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:25 am 
Crown Grade

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:

The set is $229 and you can buy the advanced disc on its own for $149. DVD or blue ray

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:44 am 
Crown Grade

dpe2002 wrote:
KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:

The set is $229 and you can buy the advanced disc on its own for $149. DVD or blue ray

With that said, keep in mind that these discs have the best information going, presented in a very organized and progressive manner. One building block followed by another. Making for a strong foundation for advanced shooting.

Something we all can and will refer back to for years to come.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:51 am 
Crown Grade

Mule Driver wrote:
dpe2002 wrote:
KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:

With that said, keep in mind that these discs have the best information going, presented in a very organized and progressive manner. One building block followed by another. Making for a strong foundation for advanced shooting.

Something we all can and will refer back to for years to come.

Probably will be part of my stimulus payment spend. Your review of the material definitely appreciated.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:06 am 
Limited Edition

I am the author of the advanced thread previously. From all the positive comments, I also ordered the Foudations blue ray.
I am a master class shooter who fought a long jouney to get there and I found Foudations to give several very valuable points.

1) Move the body, not the arms when shooting. This keeps the shoulders from rolling and possibly shooting under.
2) Don't look all the way back at the trap( contrary to Wendell Cherrys teaching), rather save your max focus for the targets break zone. Allow the peripheral to pick up the target.
3)On quartering out presentaions with the traps to the right or left of you, look through the barrels ( ghost barrels) by keeping the gun in the pocket but lowering the shoulders ala Bill McGuire.

Excellent information and more than worth the cost. With what I saved this month not shooting tournaments more than paid for the entire set.

Be healthy all,
Dave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:31 pm 
Crown Grade

cpugh wrote:
I realize the topic of this thread is Anthony's two new DVDs. However, I want to share my experience with Anthony related to eye issues.

I started shooting seriously about 12 years ago, and struggled a great deal in the beginning. During a lesson with a highly regarded shooting coach, he recommended that I wear a dot, which I did for a few years.

I then took a lesson with Anthony. He watched me shoot a few stands, then asked why I was wearing the dot. He said he didn't think I needed it, and advised me to shoot 1,000 targets without it. I have not worn one since. I am not sure how Anthony knew I didn't need the dot, but my shooting has improved based on his advice.

Interesting......

When I went to get help to learn to shoot with both eyes open from Chuck Dryke in 1993, he started me out with a patch -- with the idea I would be able to shoot both eyes open in a few years. He didn't want me to make the patch the end of the road.

I had a weak dominant eye (72%), and he explained that i needed to get use to keeping both eyes open, and strengthen my right eye by making it work more -- and the patch would let me do that, and still shoot better than with one eye closed.

Then, at least once a month during practice, he wanted me to shoot 100 targets without the patch. More if I could. I did, and at first, man was that ever difficult. Then, one day while taking a lesson from Gil Ash, he suggested that I do the whole lesson without the patch, and not worry about the results.

Bingo, everything came together right then and there and I have not used one since. In your case, I would suspect that first wearing the patch for a few years allowed you to move onto both eyes open and no patch.

The problem is that most instructors don't really know what they are doing with all of this. I can tell you after listening to Anthony, he really does understand it. Without question, if you have eye dominant issues, get the FOUNDATION tape and give it a listen. It will start you off in the right direction.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Gunsmokesupply wrote:
I am the author of the advanced thread previously. From all the positive comments, I also ordered the Foudations blue ray.
I am a master class shooter who fought a long jouney to get there and I found Foudations to give several very valuable points.

1) Move the body, not the arms when shooting. This keeps the shoulders from rolling and possibly shooting under.
2) Don't look all the way back at the trap( contrary to Wendell Cherrys teaching), rather save your max focus for the targets break zone. Allow the peripheral to pick up the target.
3)On quartering out presentaions with the traps to the right or left of you, look through the barrels ( ghost barrels) by keeping the gun in the pocket but lowering the shoulders ala Bill McGuire.

Excellent information and more than worth the cost. With what I saved this month not shooting tournaments more than paid for the entire set.

Be healthy all,
Dave

Thanks Dave, good condensed review.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:34 am 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

Thanks for the reviews guys. Keep them coming. In regard to eye dominance I know more now than ever. I’ve done lot of studying in the last 10 years and spend 250 days per year on the range with students. It’s really the practical experience & theory that gives me a handle on it. However, it’s still often a case by case and cookie cutter approach won’t fix everyone.

Thanks

Anthony

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

So you couldn't fix me. :lol:

Thanks Anthony

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:41 pm 
Crown Grade

In terms of eye dominance and trying to learn how to shoot with both eyes open....

I understand what Anthony said in that a "cookie cutter approach won’t fix everyone". I personally found that to be true. And, a lot of it is adaptation as you go. For me, it initially meant a lot of turning your head so that your right eye could acquire the target easier.

But, from what I've seen, the biggest hurdle with conquering this eye dominance issue is that the shooter is not diagnosed correctly from the get go. Many instructors don't know the difference between a weak dominant master eye and cross dominance. Which is huge, because the fix is different for each one. At least for Chuck Dryke and Dr. Wayne F. Martin O.D. who I worked with, it was.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:57 pm 
Limited Edition

I’m really enjoying the Advanced DVD. I’ve been working for the technique on the long teal bird. That’s working well the two times I’ve got to go and shoot. I’m spending most of my time on the target planning and preshot routine chapters. This was an area of my game that was very inconsistent..

Thanks, Anthony for putting this out for us to learn from!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:06 am 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

We are also now listed on Amazon for those who have accounts and would prefer to buy through Amazon. We appreciate all the support and reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Anthony-Matarese-Sporting-Clays-Advanced/dp/B083M6JHLV/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=matarese+dvd&qid=1587294341&s=movies-tv&sr=1-1

Thanks

Anthony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Just got my DVD set delivered today. I was able to watch the first hour of the foundations DVD over my lunch hour, so just getting into the juicy stuff.

So far very easy to watch and understand.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:12 am 
Presentation Grade

Waiting for the Matarese on Fitasc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Got my DVD yesterday and listened to and digested the first advanced module. Already worth the price of admission -- thank you Anthony!

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:10 am 
Crown Grade

With regard to the foundations DVD, my opinion if you are A, AA or M that it probably isn't worthwhile. I found it valuable because I coach a high school trap team, and can utilize some of the tools and tricks about gun mount, etc. with new shooters.

I'm just halfway through the advanced DVD. I can 100% recommended this, even if I don't watch the rest of the DVD. It is that good.

Two things so far have really intrigued me:

1. Looking through the gun, which I have never given serious consideration to or have worked on. I know now I need to give this a concentrated effort if I want to get better.

2. Slow, easy targets have been an off and on bugaboo of mine, and Anthony's comment about it possibly being an eye issue is something I never thought about. Going to try the spare tire fix on these and see if that helps.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:04 pm 
Limited Edition

bdog58 wrote:
Waiting for the Matarese on Fitasc.

This!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:51 pm 
Crown Grade

So on certain presentations, Anthony recommends more barrel awareness.

I’ve spent most of my career trying to be less aware of the barrel and focusing more on the target

Other than closing off, winking, doting the off eye, or looking at the barrel, what are the tricks you use to gain barrel awareness while not losing sight and focus of the target

I tried winking today and did have good success when I remembered to do it.