ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What Matters
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:40 pm 
Field Grade

Enjoying your fellowship with other shooters.

Smiling as your buddy trips in the terrain when sneaking on a pond full of mallards.Then they flush and the look.......WTF

Laughing with each other when you miss that slow incomer at 8 0"clock that was so slow we knew we could break it. At 25 yards.

But did not.

And then other situations,the mallard had its brakes on. You take it, no you take it,confusion abounds.

Smoke clears and ears ringing,and no splash on pond.The look and laughs.(sigh)

All good

Understand its not exactly a sporting clay situation.

But if any one cares to share a story to tell "this is my situation".

Let er wing :)

Thank you Curly N.

For giving the participants room to participate.

But what matters most in my humble opine.
John 3:16

LED

Post subject: Re: What Matters
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well said Led.

What matters.... seeing a bird dog understand and exercise his purpose in life and being a part of that purpose as I walk behind.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What matters.......sporting clays, which means being with friends, busting each others chops and having a good time whether you shoot well or not......bird hunting with an old friend, each knowing what the other is going to do, enjoying the dog work and sitting down at the end of the day with a glass of bourbon.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dogchaser37 wrote:
What matters.......sporting clays, which means being with friends, busting each others chops and having a good time whether you shoot well or not......bird hunting with an old friend, each knowing what the other is going to do, enjoying the dog work and sitting down at the end of the day with a glass of bourbon.

{hs#

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:55 pm 
Field Grade

When the Dog did well, you rewarded him for the effort, you know when one or two is plenty, and more fly in as you both sat and watched the day end.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Obvious time spent afield. I was blessed to have access to 3 farms in my fraternal family while growing up.

Here in SC most literary bent hunters have read things like Nash Buckingham's "De Shootinest Gent'man", and other stuff by Archibald Rutledge, Harry Hampton, and Neil McManus. Good reading (taken in context with the time written). Men, dogs, guns, game, sunrise, sunset, fidelity, friendship, conservation, and bourbon/scotch. Not a bad way to pass some of your time on this orb.

I can't remember now whether it was around Christmas-New Year in 1976 or 1977. I spent 3 days at a fraternity brother's home near Camden, SC. We duck hunted both mornings and killed mallards, black ducks, and wood ducks. My friend took me with him to visit an elderly friend, Mr. Boykin, at his family farm. He gave him two wood ducks and a bottle of scotch for a present. Mr. Boykin invited us to sit and have a scotch. We sat in front of a roaring fire in a fire place about 6 feet wide in a room with 12 foot ceilings, wood floors, and a Boykin spaniel lying on the rug in front of the fire. Living the dream, baby!

JB

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

Just about every evening 6-7 sitting on the deck with my bride of 55 years. Bar’s open! She beer, me Red wine. Opportunity to discuss what happened that day and what’s coming up. Shooting with friends is great, but still can’t top bar time with my high school sweetheart!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:55 pm 
Crown Grade

I miss spending time with my dad who passed 3 years ago. We had many awesome memories of time spent at hunting camp in October and November.

My son and I shoot sporting clays together at least once a month and hunt in the same hunting camp up north I went to with my dad. The time is precious...the shooting and the hunting is fun but secondary

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

Headhog,
Outstanding! My wife and I have been married 40 years. I punched above my weight class with her. I understand your joy.

Dpe2002,
I lost my Dad 11 years ago. We had countless great hunting and fishing trips. The absence is still palpable and always will be. Kudos for building those quality memories for your son's future. May the chain be unbroken.

JB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:30 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you all for responding from your life experiences.

Consensus is just being able to be free and enjoy the ability to watch your dog hunt.

Admire nature.

Hunt and or shoot with a friend.(give em chit) when they miss that floating mallard at barrels length.Or that sporting clay "gimme shot" and still miss. :)

All in all,we have so many freedoms and experiences and some times I think when you jostle the "ole" memory bank.

It takes you back a step or two and your reference is.

OH Yea ,I remember that.......THEN smiles.....and recollection.

All good

Led

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I lost my daughter to cancer 5 years ago.

She was my best friend.

I miss her more everyday.

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:36 am 
Utility Grade

Being able to share time in the blind with my ten year old daughter watching the dogs work, or having her press the buttons on the sporting clays course where she gets to use her trappers choice from time to time, doesn't tell me where the birds are coming from and if they are reports or trues. If I hit them I get a bo-ya from her..... if I miss them, I get a you suck, lol.....takes all the stress out of everything when you get that time....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:28 pm 
Crown Grade

When I go shooting I don't ever have a thought about what's going on in this crazy world. When I am home reading/watching current events I am very concerned about what happens to the shooting sports if the upcoming election has a certain result.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

Head hog,
Still in love eh!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:48 am 
Presentation Grade

Headhog wrote:
Just about every evening 6-7 sitting on the deck with my bride of 55 years. Bar’s open! She beer, me Red wine. Opportunity to discuss what happened that day and what’s coming up. Shooting with friends is great, but still can’t top bar time with my high school sweetheart!!

So very cool. I'm only 19 years behind.

Chopping it up is fine, but for me its the drive to excel. Improve with techniques, skill level. Seeing folks improve, become more successful. Especially in the field. I've realized at my age, it isn't about the size of the bag. Don't need to kill everything that comes into the pond. Just fooling them can be enough. Couple years back, I worked in a flock of 50 mallards. Took ten minutes, which seemed like an hour. Several times they left only to quickly reappear. Had them at 25, but they were moving pretty quick. Finally they did it......back peddling. I just watched, then sat there with them for a few before they got nervous and flew off. Not a shot. Buddy says, hmm....that was cool. I said, more then cool. The two of us talk more about that then any other set of birds of our 40+ years of hunting together.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:25 am 
Diamond Grade

What I like about clay target shooting, don't have to kill something to enjoy shooting a shotgun..

What matters, enjoy you wife, family, friends, shooting partners while you can, it doesn't last forever. It's pictures and memories after....