ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Image



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: I’m baaaaack. And BiG news.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:27 am
Posts: 8185
Location: Silicon Valley
FYI, the difference between factory Beretta Optima LM and M is a whopping .002" -- Beretta uses a .016" constriction for their Optima Mod which is already basically a LM (and IMHO a killer good all-around choke), and a .014" for LM which is still LM. Point here is you won't likely notice the difference... Beretta factory Optima IC is also a little looser than conventional at .008", and then the rest tend to follow convention pretty closely:

https://estore.beretta.com/en-eu/docume ... oke-tubes/



_________________
Jack
NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’m baaaaack. And BiG news.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:50 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:12 am
Posts: 5708
They all come back sooner or later.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’m baaaaack. And BiG news.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:22 am
Posts: 9082
Location: Rochester, NY
dcblvsh2 wrote:

What if he wants to shoot skeet? Or what if he wants what he wants?


32" would be my recommendation for skeet as well with an Optima or newer Beretta o/u, could go either way MAYBE with subgauge tubes, but even then I'd lean toward 32".

A majority of my weight sales are for Beretta o/us, Beretta simply made them too muzzle light for most people to control.

_________________
S3 Smingler Shotgun Sports
Ian Smingler
585-613-8098
[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’m baaaaack. And BiG news.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:27 am
Posts: 8185
Location: Silicon Valley
It’s why Zach K uses steel Pure Gold chokes in his 32” DT11.

_________________
Jack
NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’m baaaaack. And BiG news.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:51 pm
Posts: 2729
Location: Houston, TX USA
drawdc wrote:
No one will have any trouble telling the difference between your Yildiz and an SPIII, regardless of the chokes. Pre-owned since it doesn’t have a full set of chokes? Are you going to set it up like you did the Yildiz?

Lite mod isn’t usually part of a standard choke set. At least I don’t think so.

_________________
Robert


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’m baaaaack. And BiG news.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:42 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:51 pm
Posts: 2729
Location: Houston, TX USA
JacksBack wrote:
FYI, the difference between factory Beretta Optima LM and M is a whopping .002" -- Beretta uses a .016" constriction for their Optima Mod which is already basically a LM (and IMHO a killer good all-around choke), and a .014" for LM which is still LM. Point here is you won't likely notice the difference... Beretta factory Optima IC is also a little looser than conventional at .008", and then the rest tend to follow convention pretty closely:

https://estore.beretta.com/en-eu/docume ... oke-tubes/

Thanks. Good information.

_________________
Robert


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’m baaaaack. And BiG news.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:51 pm
Posts: 2729
Location: Houston, TX USA
drawdc wrote:
No one will have any trouble telling the difference between your Yildiz and an SPIII, regardless of the chokes. Pre-owned since it doesn’t have a full set of chokes? Are you going to set it up like you did the Yildiz?

No, new. Full set of 5.

Regarding the setup, I was originally thinking about a cheaper gun with a custom stock to avoid the adjustable butt plate and canting the gun. But I fell in love with the SP IIIs. And also despite everyone’s derision, my stock provides me a perfect fit and mount. I have grown very fond of it. So I spent more on the gun, and will get the the fit for only $200 instead of a $3000 custom stock. My shooting buddy asked me today why I can’t just mount a gun like everyone else. Heck, I don’t do anything like everyone else.

As far as the Yildiz is concerned, I love that gun. There is not one thing wrong with it.

_________________
Robert


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: I’m baaaaack. And BiG news.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:03 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 4:08 pm
Posts: 2696
rpenmanparker wrote:
drawdc wrote:
No one will have any trouble telling the difference between your Yildiz and an SPIII, regardless of the chokes. Pre-owned since it doesn’t have a full set of chokes? Are you going to set it up like you did the Yildiz?

No, new. Full set of 5.

Regarding the setup, I was originally thinking about a cheaper gun with a custom stock to avoid the adjustable butt plate and canting the gun. But I fell in love with the SP IIIs. And also despite everyone’s derision, my stock provides me a perfect fit and mount. I have grown very fond of it. So I spent more on the gun, and will get the the fit for only $200 instead of a $3000 custom stock. My shooting buddy asked me today why I can’t just mount a gun like everyone else. Heck, I don’t do anything like everyone else.

As far as the Yildiz is concerned, I love that gun. There is not one thing wrong with it.


I misread your post. I thought you said it had two LMs, but you want two LMs. Good choice for where you shoot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’m baaaaack. And BiG news.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:51 pm
Posts: 2729
Location: Houston, TX USA
drawdc wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:
drawdc wrote:
No one will have any trouble telling the difference between your Yildiz and an SPIII, regardless of the chokes. Pre-owned since it doesn’t have a full set of chokes? Are you going to set it up like you did the Yildiz?

No, new. Full set of 5.

Regarding the setup, I was originally thinking about a cheaper gun with a custom stock to avoid the adjustable butt plate and canting the gun. But I fell in love with the SP IIIs. And also despite everyone’s derision, my stock provides me a perfect fit and mount. I have grown very fond of it. So I spent more on the gun, and will get the the fit for only $200 instead of a $3000 custom stock. My shooting buddy asked me today why I can’t just mount a gun like everyone else. Heck, I don’t do anything like everyone else.

As far as the Yildiz is concerned, I love that gun. There is not one thing wrong with it.


I misread your post. I thought you said it had two LMs, but you want two LMs. Good choice for where you shoot.

Thanks.

_________________
Robert


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’m baaaaack. And BiG news.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:53 am
Posts: 1090
Location: Dallas, Texas
Curly N wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:
I’m currently shooting 28s and liking it fine. But I thought going up a notch to keep up with the in crowd would make some sense. I’m only 5’7” with 33” sleeve. I just don’t think I need to wave all that barrel around. There really isn’t much another 2 inches of barrel is going to do for me. I only skied once because I didn’t like being tied to the long skis all day if you get the analogy.

I am shorter than you are and have no problems swinging a 32" barrel. It is all where you hold the gun before you call the bird.



Well that explodes one of my personal myths. Curley, I have always considered you to be a giant among men. MAJ

_________________
'Where is the kaboom? There was supposed to be a giant earth-shattering kaboom!" Marvin the Martian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’m baaaaack. And BiG news.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:56 pm
Posts: 7677
Location: Central ND
^^^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol: ^^^^^

_________________
Mark

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’m baaaaack. And BiG news.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:41 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:51 pm
Posts: 2729
Location: Houston, TX USA
MAJENKINS wrote:
Curly N wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:
I’m currently shooting 28s and liking it fine. But I thought going up a notch to keep up with the in crowd would make some sense. I’m only 5’7” with 33” sleeve. I just don’t think I need to wave all that barrel around. There really isn’t much another 2 inches of barrel is going to do for me. I only skied once because I didn’t like being tied to the long skis all day if you get the analogy.

I am shorter than you are and have no problems swinging a 32" barrel. It is all where you hold the gun before you call the bird.



Well that explodes one of my personal myths. Curley, I have always considered you to be a giant among men. MAJ


You know what TR said, "Walk shortly and carry a big stick."

_________________
Robert


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’m baaaaack. And BiG news.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:02 am 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:09 pm
Posts: 1357
Location: Coolidge, Arizona
Have you considered the Ylidiz Pro Sport?
It is supposedly a Perazzi clone.
Pacific Sporting and other quality gun stores are stocking them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’m baaaaack. And BiG news.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:08 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:51 pm
Posts: 2729
Location: Houston, TX USA
viking wrote:
Have you considered the Ylidiz Pro Sport?
It is supposedly a Perazzi clone.
Pacific Sporting and other quality gun stores are stocking them.

Yes, I did. My take is that Etchen is giving a package of upgrades at an attractive price along with Beretta reputation and quality. Cheaper than the Yildiz in the USA. I love my Yildiz for $450 and plan to keep and shoot it indefinitely, but I would need to see many years of history on the Pro Sport to spend $4,000 on one. And besides, owning one gun that is the butt of jokes on SWG is enough, don't you think?

_________________
Robert


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’m baaaaack. And BiG news.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:29 am 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:09 pm
Posts: 1357
Location: Coolidge, Arizona
"And besides, owning one gun that is the butt of jokes on SWG is enough, don't you think?"

I have to agree with you on that comment! LOL.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’m baaaaack. And BiG news.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:13 am 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:30 am
Posts: 554
Location: Indiana
Skeet_Man wrote:
Going with 30" barrels on a SC gun is a mistake. Beretta barrels are very light, and there's a decent chance a 32" Beretta would be comparable or livelier than your 28" Yildiz.

I have no problem w/my 682 Gold Super Sporting w/a 29.5" bbls & Briley X2 chokes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’m baaaaack. And BiG news.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:22 am
Posts: 9082
Location: Rochester, NY
VHart51 wrote:
Skeet_Man wrote:
Going with 30" barrels on a SC gun is a mistake. Beretta barrels are very light, and there's a decent chance a 32" Beretta would be comparable or livelier than your 28" Yildiz.

I have no problem w/my 682 Gold Super Sporting w/a 29.5" bbls & Briley X2 chokes.


You have Mobil choke barrels....

_________________
S3 Smingler Shotgun Sports
Ian Smingler
585-613-8098
[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’m baaaaack. And BiG news.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:18 pm 
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:15 am
Posts: 23188
Location: Knoxville, Tn area Nyuck, Nyuck
MAJENKINS wrote:
Curly N wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:
I’m currently shooting 28s and liking it fine. But I thought going up a notch to keep up with the in crowd would make some sense. I’m only 5’7” with 33” sleeve. I just don’t think I need to wave all that barrel around. There really isn’t much another 2 inches of barrel is going to do for me. I only skied once because I didn’t like being tied to the long skis all day if you get the analogy.

I am shorter than you are and have no problems swinging a 32" barrel. It is all where you hold the gun before you call the bird.



Well that explodes one of my personal myths. Curley, I have always considered you to be a giant among men. MAJ


Just my heart and personality in a short wide stature.

_________________
if you love the ole USA https://youtu.be/f22JcsKmnYg If you were Military, enjoy

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’m baaaaack. And BiG news.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:20 pm 
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:15 am
Posts: 23188
Location: Knoxville, Tn area Nyuck, Nyuck
rpenmanparker wrote:
MAJENKINS wrote:


Well that explodes one of my personal myths. Curley, I have always considered you to be a giant among men. MAJ


You know what TR said, "Walk shortly and carry a big stick."

But in my case it's a heavy "Ban Hammer"!

_________________
if you love the ole USA https://youtu.be/f22JcsKmnYg If you were Military, enjoy

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I’m baaaaack. And BiG news.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:51 pm
Posts: 2729
Location: Houston, TX USA
Curly N wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:
MAJENKINS wrote:


Well that explodes one of my personal myths. Curley, I have always considered you to be a giant among men. MAJ


You know what TR said, "Walk shortly and carry a big stick."

But in my case it's a heavy "Ban Hammer"!

As if I didn’t know. Poetic license.



_________________
Robert


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: avogunner, Bing [Bot], Dmc57, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, rickeroo, txlefty


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group    - DMCA Notice