ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old eyes, I hate all black targets, give me orange, please!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

Old eyes I hate all black targets give me orange .
Sucks getting old .
I don’t like sun either.

Post subject: Re: Old eyes I hate all black targets give me orange
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Black up in the skies for me, orange against other backgrounds, but that lime yellow/green really pops

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Black up in the skies for me, orange against other backgrounds, but that lime yellow/green really pops

I totally agree with this. If it's in the sky it needs to be black, especially on those cloudy days. We have a double wobble trap setup where we can throw targets downhill so they are mostly against a green background. Pink works really well for us there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:13 pm 
Crown Grade

Pink is another great choice. Even white in the right scenario can be better than orange

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't know of one target color that fits all target presentations and I don't think that sporting clays targets should be an eye test.

If you have a good target setter you will always have the appropriate target color for the situation. I agree that black targets against a dark green background suck, but against a blue sky black targets are usually an excellent choice.

If the only way a target setter can challenge you is with target color, time to find a new target setter.

I have trouble sometimes with target color and I see other folks struggle with target color and I don't believe it is right to lose a target because the color of the targets make them difficult to see.

Personally I don't care how you throw the target, the tougher the better, but everyone needs to be able to see it.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:34 am 
Diamond Grade

I went to a SC range in Northern NJ earlier this week and they had carousels loaded with both orange and black targets mixed together. Most of the shots were against dark, tree-filled backgrounds and it was an overcast day. If you were lucky enough to get an orange target, you could see it; if you got a black one, no dice. The black ones against the sky were no problem, but in the woods, huge problem. Now why they did this? I have no clue. The fact that not every shooter was getting the same colored target, I found disturbingly unfair.

While shooting, I decided to never go back to this venue. It's too frustrating to call for a target and have no chance at seeing it. When we got back to the lodge we expressed our displeasure with the targets to the manager, who was in a bad mood that day. While walking to our cars, another shooter who was about to head out on the course overheard our complaints. He introduced us to the owner who was coming in to check on the place and he was very unhappy to hear of the issues we faced. He apologized and just about begged us to come back and give them another try, telling us, "this will be fixed". However, he didn't offer to give us a refund. A partial refund would have been nice. I guess some of us will give them another try (one of our buddies was adamant about never coming back) but it wasn't the fun-filled day we were hoping for.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:47 am 
Crown Grade

White Flyer offers a all orange target, both sides are orange. They're a buck more a box, or so I've been told. I once loaded all my machines with green targets before a SxS Shoot. In the woods you couldn't see them, at least with the backgrounds I had. Twenty machines had to be unloaded and reloaded with orange targets. They do seem to work really well on our skeet and trap fields.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

The gun club I belong to (where I do most of my shooting) has skeet fields with a forested hill as the background. Very few shots have a sky background and we use the all orange White Flyer Bios and no one has a problem seeing them this time of the year when the Sun is high in the sky. In the winter when the Sun is low, we have a problem with glare as the field faces South. My shooting glasses are dark brown and polarized to deal with that issue. They make the orange targets really pop.

Last edited by twohigh on Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

I’m colour blind....give me black in the sky and any other colour on background.

Except rabbits , give me black side out the yellow just disappears

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:08 pm 
Crown Grade

bladesmith wrote:
White Flyer offers a all orange target, both sides are orange. They're a buck more a box, or so I've been told. I once loaded all my machines with green targets before a SxS Shoot. In the woods you couldn't see them, at least with the backgrounds I had. Twenty machines had to be unloaded and reloaded with orange targets. They do seem to work really well on our skeet and trap fields.

Were those just that somewhat darker plain green or that neon safety yellow/green? I have seen the latter thrown in a heavy woods environment where the target was going through trees with a strobe type visual effect and you could follow that target from the trap to the ground very easily. Then again, I am not red/green color blind, do maybe some folks who are can add what they see. Think of going through a traffic construction zone. What do those yellow/green neon safety vests look like to those whoa re R/G colorblind?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:23 pm 
Limited Edition

I shoot trap in the Summer at a Wisconsin club with solid green trees as the background. They throw lime green targets and they look like garbage can lids.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:01 pm 
Crown Grade

smoke ball wrote:
I shoot trap in the Summer at a Wisconsin club with solid green trees as the background. They throw lime green targets and they look like garbage can lids.

Yep, those neon targets just POP in the trees..........

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:21 am 
Presentation Grade

Black pitch targets are sometimes very hard to pick up in the sky. They have a smooth glossy finish that reflects the sun and turns them to a silver finish.
Try Black Bio's. They are a true flat black finish and seem to me to always stay visible in the sky.
Black targets against any other background is not going to work well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

^^^^^Yup^^^^^ ran across that yesterday at a Super Sporting event. A couple of guys had trouble seeing the target against the blue sky because it did have a silver look to it. It was a great target presentation at about 40 - 45 yards.

Both are experienced shooters, just had trouble seeing that one presentation.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

Purple lenses help me see the black, and orange better in the blue sky, pilla 40CN, and 67CNW. Pilla Water melon 60CHCW color is good to in lower light.

Post subject: Re: Old eyes, I hate all black targets, give me orange, ple
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:30 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Orange against foliage background.....Black against the sky. Black rim/orange dome when the target transits against both backgrounds. The black rim/orange dome should be MUCH more popular.....

YMMV,

Best,

Will

Will Fennell
www.fennellshootingschool.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:56 am 
Diamond Grade

The problem with black rim is not enough color of either to focus on well. All colors have issues presented in the wrong background. As mentioned, all black into the sky with bright sun hard to see at times. White is a color should be used more often in darker situations.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As an old fart , I need the color of the targets to be correct. I vote w/ my wallet when they screw it up.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:27 am 
Crown Grade

Attended a shoot on Saturday. One station had a true pair, both black midi targets diving fast on top of a green field into a valley full of green trees. If you were lucky you could sometimes see one target.

That to me is the definition of a stupid target.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:33 pm 
Crown Grade

How I hate black Battues on a sunny day! A quick flash as it transitions and half a second before it's in the undergrowth.