ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mike McAlpine's BOOK
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mike is wrapping up his book and asked me to ask other target setters to get w/ him on any ideas they might want to contribute.

About 10 yrs ago , I set targets at three clubs for about a 3-4 yr period. I mostly just stole from Mike and Jimmy Montgomery.

Both Mike and Jimmy have set a lot of targets at major shoots incl NSCA Nationals, World All Around , etc.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

Post subject: Re: Mike McAlpine's BOOK
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:17 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I believe Mike needs to address the proper attitude for a target setter.

There are too many people who get into target setting at the local clubs and it becomes an ego test, where the target setters sole desire is to BEAT the shooter. This is typically done by throwing extremely long & difficult targets.

Any chimpanzee can crank up the spring and set long targets. The real talent in a target setter is to get you to miss a target that "appears" easy to hit. Using terrain, the natural landscape, a clever target setter will leave you shaking your head.

So, having the proper attitude is important. The goal needs to be to entertain and engage the shooter, not beat them into the ground. People do this sport for recreation; so it should be fun.

This is the biggest problem in target setting today. I hope Mike will properly address it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:47 pm 
Crown Grade

^^^ I agree..........at some clubs that is all I see (and I stop going to them) at others, the setter makes you think you got it made..........until you don't....LOL

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:38 am 
Crown Grade

The problem today is you have people that call themselves target setters and they have no clue. Most of them reside at small local clubs. And they have no training in sun issues, backgrounds and what's a reasonable target. Just about everyone who shoots knows the difference between technical,hard and stupid. Good setters know they are in the entertainment business and make shooters want to return.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:53 am 
Presentation Grade

MdShooter wrote:
The real talent in a target setter is to get you to miss a target that "appears" easy to hit. Using terrain, the natural landscape, a clever target setter will leave you shaking your head.

Jon Kruger is a master at this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:48 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I think you have to have shot at MANY clubs and studied their form before you set targets
Its not just being able to use a 19mm wrench on a trap

And you have to keep shooting to see new ideas

Phone 813-907-7340
Check out our E-books on Amazon here
http://www.rogergascoigneshootingcoach.com/books.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Roger Gascoigne wrote:
I think you have to have shot at MANY clubs and studied their form before you set targets
Its not just being able to use a 19mm wrench on a trap

And you have to keep shooting to see new ideas

That is a huge one. I can remember when Richie Jr came down to set targets in the 90s. He blew my mind. He did things I hadn't considered and got me always looking for something else from then on. Got to stay involved for the always changing methods. A ton of time behind a wrench is great but nothing replaces just looking around.