ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Virtues of using 7/8's
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:01 am 
Presentation Grade

Who uses 7/8's loads out of their 12? Aside from the obvious difference of 1/8-1/4 of pellets, hows it working? Differences?

Post subject: Re: Virtues of using 7/8's
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I use 7/8oz 1350 for practice.

They will break anything on the course.

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:17 am 
Crown Grade

It works great for me, less recoil and cost.And IMHO its made me a better shooter. I do shoot slightly tighter chokes then my friends do to keep the pattern density were I want it. My scores and consistency have improved.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:01 am 
Tournament Grade

I shoot 7/8 oz. of 7 1/2 loads at about 1200 fps. probably 90% of the time in my 12 ga. Actually they are a bit under 7/8 oz. with the bushing I use. Most of my shooting is sporting but I also use them for wobble trap and bunker. I have already had one shoulder operation and I don't want another one.

Our double wobble (2 traps) setup is a bit different because we have it on the old 5 stand so we can throw low targets downhill to a woods which is 90 yards (range finder) away from our shooting positions. I have broken targets with that load many times at that distance (only because I missed the first shot).

Last edited by mactownbob on Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:54 am 
Tournament Grade

I reload, using xra lite powder. Shoot 7/8 oz, 1200fps (more or less) at all of the weekend fun shoots. I have no empirical information but I suspect my misses are not due to lack of pellets. I use to choke LM and M. One shoot had longish targets so I stuck in M and Light Full, this is in a Zoli Z sport and I do believe the chokes are by Tru Lock. That is my standard set-up now. For more serious shoots I go to 1 oz, 1200-1250 fps factory shells and have a few 1 1/8 oz for long edgy targets and a handful of spreaders for 20 yard and under rabbits. The 7/8s stuff saves wear and tear on these old bones.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:32 pm 
Crown Grade

7/8 oz. #8 @ 1315 fps. reloads for practice. To me, it's a great economical practice shell. However, after about 55 yds, need to go to something heavier but other than that, just great.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The two virtues are light recoil and you wallet stays welded to your butt for a few more shells.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Without detracting from any of the attractions posted by others, I think most of the advantage is for folks who reload. 7/8 is not often the cheapest offering in stores and is not as easy to find as heavier loads. Heck, even 1 oz is less commonly available in the bargain offerings than 1 1/8. So 7/8 may be attractive recoil-wise, but I’m not willing to search and pay for it. I like 1 oz at 1180 fps. Usually available, often cheap, always comfortable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

24 gram 1350 fps 8's Fiocchi's.........they hammer targets, haven't ever felt at a disadvantage by using one.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:37 pm 
Crown Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
The two virtues are light recoil and you wallet stays welded to your butt for a few more shells.

That's why I load them. 7/8 ths at just under 1300 fps.

I shoot O/U so cycling isn't an issue and for everything I shoot, the load is never the issue.

If I'm shooting and using reloads is inconvenient for any reason, the Estate 1 oz @ 1235 works well in my gun.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I do not like the patterns of 7/8th's at 1350. BUT the 1200 fps loads are Marvelous.

When buying from a dealer , there is never any price advantage over 1 oz , sad to say.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:49 pm 
Crown Grade

painter* wrote:
dogchaser37 wrote:

I shoot O/U so cycling isn't an issue and for everything I shoot, the load is never the issue.

If I'm shooting and using reloads is inconvenient for any reason, the Estate 1 oz @ 1235 works well in my gun.

painter*, just wondering why you would go for that extra velocity instead of 1180-1200 fps. I mean if you like the light loads, why go higher than you need to? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

7/8 # 8 almost the only load I use in SxS guns. They are tight choked. O/U that carries LM LM 90% of the time 1 OZ. 7 1/2 is its regular load. Keep a few 1 oz 7/8 Shells in the bag when SxS shooting for hard to break targets like edge rabbits .

Really its about the target and density needed. Can’t consider weight without shot & chokes too. My feeling 1180 for everything.

Bass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:03 pm 
Crown Grade

rpenmanparker wrote:
painter* wrote:
dogchaser37 wrote:

painter*, just wondering why you would go for that extra velocity instead of 1180-1200 fps. I mean if you like the light loads, why go higher than you need to? Thanks.

It's more a stack height issue. The load at ~1300 fits with the powder I use. A lighter powder charge would require a filler which is a PITA on a progressive press with hydraulic assist.

The extra velocity is far less important that the shot charge. Do the math.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:38 pm 
Crown Grade

painter* wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:
painter* wrote:

It's more a stack height issue. The load at ~1300 fits with the powder I use. A lighter powder charge would require a filler which is a PITA on a progressive press with hydraulic assist.

Sure when you are talking about 1/8 oz increments. I get that. But my question was about the Estate commercial loads. Even if the difference is small, wouldn’t you look for something slower.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

Actually the speed and the shot weight have a near equal effect on recoil. It’s a mass x volume equation. A 12.5% (1/8 oz) change in shot weight will equate to a 12.5% change in velocity.

So, the recoil savings of going from 1oz to 7/8oz is all lost when you go up from 1,200 fps to 1,350fps.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Scardog7 wrote:
Actually the speed and the shot weight have a near equal effect on recoil. It’s a mass x volume equation. A 12.5% (1/8 oz) change in shot weight will equate to a 12.5% change in velocity.

For recoil momentum, not energy. For energy the velocity is squared making it more significant. But still, the 1/8 oz gradations are larger %age-wise than the velocity gradations. painter* is right about that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:57 pm 
Crown Grade

rpenmanparker wrote:
painter* wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:

Sure when you are talking about 1/8 oz increments. I get that. But my question was about the Estate commercial loads. Even if the difference is small, wouldn’t you look for something slower.

When I buy commercial loads, it's all about price, so no, I don't really care.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You need to understand how these loads came about.

It has nothing to do with recoil.

The 7/8 oz. loads came from International Trap & Skeet. The targets are more substantial than a standard clay target. The driving bands on the International targets are thick so they can be thrown at the higher velocities.

When you reduce the weight of the payload a benefit is that you can normally raise the velocity without hurting the core of the pattern. Anytime you can raise the pellet energy of a load and not suffer poor patterns you have an advantage. Yes it is small but still an advantage.

Since the heavier loads (32 gram) that were allowed in the International were banned, pattern density was lost but, with the 24 gram loads, you gained some pellet energy, without messing up the core of the pattern. They traded a little pattern density for a little pellet energy.

7/8 oz. loads @ 1325 to 1350 FPS are still a light recoiling load in a 12 gauge target shotgun.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:05 pm 
Crown Grade

painter* wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:
painter* wrote:

When I buy commercial loads, it's all about price, so no, I don't really care.

We have more in common than you might have thought.